Nitecore Chameleon Series CR6 CG6 CB6 (XP-G2, XP-E, 5mm - 18650) Review: BEAMS, RUN+

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC blue light makes blood stand out very well against grass at night or under poor light conditions, aiding in blood trail tracking for hunters or certain police and S&R tracking occasions.

Some wave lengths are better than others for blood, etc. I believe the consensus shows that the 395nm to 435nm is better for blood than other wave lengths. Luminol will help tremendously with finding blood. Dried blood does not fluoresce that well without luminol.

Last edited:

Tachikoma

Enlightened
If anyone is interested only in the UV component of this light, I ended up getting it and I'm very happy with the results, here you can see a couple shots I took the other day:

http://imgur.com/a/CQ2dD#0

The first in each series has been taken under normal room light, the second under this http://powerledlighting.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30 and the third under the cu6, both at 60cm from target, the results are pretty clear I guess :)

So regarding my previous post, while I cannot measure it, I guess the output is at least 2,500mw :-D

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had this light a little while now, and it is awesome, very easy to use. i do think they could have thought about the UI a little more but you cannot please everyone. i was thinking maybe the 5mm red mode should be before the low med high reds then the two colours on the end, or instead of a police strobe under long press they could have had the RGB and kept the main red emitter on its own. ?
also why the plastic cigar ring ? really ?
these are just some thoughts but really a great little light, i use red medium for dog walking, so my eyes can see everything around the beam :) white turbo is set for when i need / want it .

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Based on Tachikoma's photos I have ordered the CU6 which I found for just under $100. Definitely makes me suspect that the 365nm output pen light is not. I will also compare it with a UV P60 drop-in that as I recall is supposed to be 365nm.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone swapped out the tail cap ? it is a surefire / soalrforce / jetbeam thread. i bust my plastic cigar ring and wanted more space on the tube so i have ordered a solarforce L2-S8 switch which i think will give a nice flashlight feel and a stable tailstand too.

Taz80

Enlightened
Both my C2 and RRT26 tail caps fit, same thread, but do not work. I think the RRT26 is to deep I don't know why the C2 doesn't.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my C2 and RRT26 tail caps fit, same thread, but do not work. I think the RRT26 is to deep I don't know why the C2 doesn't.

strange ? i seem to be able to run anything .

opus360

Newly Enlightened
Unless you're a hunter or fisher, what is the use of having the red, blue or green mode?

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
The CR6 makes a great light to take with me while biking. I can use it on the front with a flashlight handlebar mount, or in red mode on the back as a backup tail light. I also use the CR6 and CG6 on my bike in their color modes on our 'sj bike party' group rides (festive-type group rides, folks have their bikes all done up in all kinds of colored lights). Sometimes when watching movies at home with friends we set them up for mood lighting. I understand these aren't for everybody, but I have a lot of fun with mine. (I mean, look at that picture in post 16, how cool is that!)

Last edited:

TRMORROWAR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review!

It was a great source of information that led me to my recent CR6 purchase. I bought it primarily for hunting use. The powerful red light will be useful for getting in and out of the woods in the dark without sacrificing my night vision. It will also be quick handy for hunting wild hogs and varmints in the dark! I can't wait to get it into the woods this fall.

Regards,
Tom

flybird

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone advise how to toggle between Low-Med-high for Green and Blue color.
I 've seen one youtube review showing that the blue and green can adjustable. Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I 've seen one youtube review showing that the blue and green can adjustable. Thanks
I'm sorry, do you mean the 5mm LEDs? AFAIK, there is no option to change their output level - only the specific model XP-E colored emitter, which cycles through modes as described in the User Interface section of my review.

Shark86x

Newly Enlightened

I have a CR6 and the minor 3-color emitters are not adjustable. The main white emitter has 5 levels cycled through with the white side switch. The main color emitter has 3 levels cycled through in sequence with the color side switch, then it cycles through the red-green-blue minor emitters and then back to the 3 main color emitter levels. The 3-color emitters only have one brightness level each.

flybird

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Shark86x and selfbuilt. I carefully watch it again, they switch to CB6 and CG6. Now I got it.

Matty84

Newly Enlightened
Confirmed, that works on all my samples as well.

The output level is indeed ridiculously low. I don't have a calibration that low for my lightbox, as it reads <0.01 lumens. You can stare into the beam quite comfortably.

FYI, there is also mode memory for this level - if you turn the light off and back on by the tailswitch, it returns to it. So this means that you can set it up in advance. Cool find, thanks for sharing!

Hi, old thread but thought id add to it for those that are interested. I've just received this light today (cu6) and whilst playing around with it to see if i could alter the output power of the uv i have come across an additional unmentioned mode to the firefly mode (damn thats low btw, i cant even make out my boots in a pitch black room!) Anyway if you follow the same process as the firefly mode but hold both the color and white buttons down simultaneously and press the rear button, it will cycle through all the color modes besides the white.

While i dont see much use to the mode i thought id throw it out there for others. If anyone has found a way to change the output power while using the UV mode id love to hear it too.

Matt

Matty84

Newly Enlightened
What's the modification? I'm pretty happy with the uv, it will fluoresce my scorpion real well from the other side of the living room which is about 6m. I'm happy enough with the white, decent output for close range out to about 50m. Hard to tell how happy I'm with it atm, last night the moon was real bright.

Latest posts