Nitecore D10 brighter with a 14500?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My D10 is hotter in Nimh then Li-ion... is this normal?

It should be much hotter when using the Li-Ion, enough so that you can't leave it on for very long before it becomes uncomfortably hot. While the NiMH should never get beyond "quite warm". A hot NiMH may indicate a battery flaw.

I also own a NDI.. I can notice more the li-ion in the NDI then the D10 both Q5.

The NDI should be ~25% brighter on Li-Ion, while the D10 is ~50% brighter. The D10 should also be brighter overall over the NDI. But again, these are slight differences, plus there may be Vf variation involved.

The thing is that with li-ion its always bright until it goes off... the nimh at some point it goes dimmer and dimmer.

You're most likely using a protected Li-Ion cell, which has its own circuitry that cuts off flow when the voltage reaches a certain level. Visually, this looks like the light turning itself off instantly, with no fade or dimming.

Last edited:

Art

Enlightened
humm , both the NDI and the D10 get hotter using Duracell 2650nimh cells.
I use Trustfire 14500 900mh protected and both get less hot with it. The D10 after 10mins in nimh on high its really hot... on li-ion its warm. :|

I EDC the NDI with li-ion and I also notice less self discharge on the li-ions...

About the D10 vs NDI , my D10 has the Cree rings and has less throw then the NDI. The NDI has a flawless beam (probably luck) and better tint.

Regards

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
My D10 is hotter in Nimh then Li-ion... is this normal?

I also own a NDI.. I can notice more the li-ion in the NDI then the D10 both Q5.

The thing is that with li-ion its always bright until it goes off... the nimh at some point it goes dimmer and dimmer.

Regards

I believe that it is normal for the D10 to get warmer when using a NiMH cell. The circuit needs to boost the voltage from 1.2 volts with the NiMH vs 3.6 volts for the 14500 cell. The more voltage that the circuit has to boost, the less efficient it is and the more energy it wastes as heat.

Font size

Newly Enlightened
aw_14500_r2.jpg
They say that it is 130 Lumens with a AA Battery or a 14500...Will I notice a difference?
You should have noticed a difference. The 14500 are brighter.

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stock,

I have the D10 R2 and as others have posted, a 14500 makes a significant difference to my eyes. (No objective testing.)

On a separate note, depending on the brand of 14500 battery you purchased, you may run into an issue where the 14500 is too long and the piston will not 'plunge'. This is a common problem that others have experienced. After searching, I found a thread with the fix to the problem of 14500 being too long and I posted what I did in this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3160150&postcount=29

Best regards

Latest posts