NiteCore D10 & EX10 Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS & more!

wiktor

Newly Enlightened
I use regular old alkaline AA's; they are readily available and free to me. I know I'm not going to get quite the same life out of the batteries but I'm not using the flashlight before it goes "dead."

As far as temp, it my EDC so the Florida "winters" throw harsh temperatures in the 70-45 degree range at the light.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use regular old alkaline AA's; they are readily available and free to me. I know I'm not going to get quite the same life out of the batteries but I'm not using the flashlight before it goes "dead."

As far as temp, it my EDC so the Florida "winters" throw harsh temperatures in the 70-45 degree range at the light.
Are you storing it in "momentary" mode (head backed off 1/4 turn after off)
or "clicky" mode? The clicky mode will draw a very very small amount of current.
Also, what brand AA alkalines?

wiktor

Newly Enlightened
Nope.. wasn't storing it a 1/4 turn. Will do now. Battery brands have varied; once with a Duracell and once with some generic Kodak battery. Like I said, I get them for free and I understand that some have more juice than others but either way, I'd assume it would last more than a week or so before it dies especially considering I don't really use it.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Nope.. wasn't storing it a 1/4 turn. Will do now. Battery brands have varied; once with a Duracell and once with some generic Kodak battery. Like I said, I get them for free and I understand that some have more juice than others but either way, I'd assume it would last more than a week or so before it dies especially considering I don't really use it.

Your have to be careful with this kind of high power light, it can drain a new AA battery in about 20 minutes and a old AA might not be able to sustain full power for more than a few minutes.
The standby drain on this light will takes months to drain a battery. Try setting the light on low power and turn it off with a press. Then check once a day if it still has power, if it only last a week or two, you light has a fault.

wiktor

Newly Enlightened
Will try; thanks for the advice. Does storing it when it backed off a 1/4 turn make a much bigger difference in power consumption (or lack there of)?

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened

How many times did this happen to you?

Are you 100% sure the free batteries are not used or old? I have had brand new alkalines lose a lot in about a year.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Will try; thanks for the advice. Does storing it when it backed off a 1/4 turn make a much bigger difference in power consumption (or lack there of)?

i do not have my numbers here, but when it is sufficient backed off, the standby power is zero.
If you are using the light often, there is no reason to back it off, but if your only use it occasional and expect the batteries for last more than 1/2 year, your need to back it off.

wiktor

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the batteries are issued from the paraloft (supply department for the unenlightened). Brand new, never used. Like I said, it's happened twice.

HKJ, I agree, it shouldn't be much. Plus, by keeping in my pocket backed off (I have to back it off about 3/4 of a turn to have it in momentary mode), I get a great deal more grit into the threads. I'm trying to keep the parts that need to be clean, clean.

hdiller

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the forum and found this review excellent. Thank you for taking the time to conduct the comparison. It has validated my opinion on the D10.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
A two-months-into-ownership (or a bit more) report on my D10-GDP, I still love it. I just had a bit of a connectivity issue last week; the positive battery contact on the head was corroded a bit. I'm not sure if that's just because I've been using it quite heavily, but a bit of deoxit fixed it up quite nicely.

I also at the same time wiped out the initial deoxit lubing I did and applied a fresh thin coat, and the difference in the switch action was VERY noticeable.

I'd have to conclude that this flashlight especially is not a zero-maintenance flashlight (well, no flashlight really is). Some periodic cleaning/re-lubing is needed to keep it running in tip-top shape.

Overall of all the flashlights I own, this is my favorite unit by far. In fact the only one I can honestly say after 2 weeks of EDC with keys and other objects, looks every bit like new.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
another ~3 month user report in.

Mine D10 worked well straight out of the box so I never relubed it at the time like many did. I did add writeright to the lens to tame the cree, I don't mind the loss in throw.

For the first months of ownership I would often not get the double clicks fast enough and just though it was my slow hands and the UI required response time was a bit to fast. Well just for kicks the other day I took it apart and relubed it with "Dupont 100% Teflon Drivetrain Lubricant". Wow! The improvement in the switch action was spectacular. Since the button rebounds faster it is much easier for me to get the double-clicks fast enough for the UI.

The link above is to some old catalog specs, I believe it was discontinued years ago. The "drivetrain" version is thicker than an oil but thinner than a grease. I use the grease version on threads and O-rings. But the thinner "Drivetrain" is great for the Piston!

I also did a brightness comparison of low and high to various levels on my new RA clicky. The Ra is supposed to be calibrated OTF lumens.

Using Ra levels as comparison:

D10 on max = about 90 lm with eneloop
D10 on lowest = about 0.7 lm

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also did a brightness comparison of low and high to various levels on my new RA clicky. The Ra is supposed to be calibrated OTF lumens.

Using Ra levels as comparison:

D10 on max = about 90 lm with eneloop
D10 on lowest = about 0.7 lm

Glad to hear you are enjoying the D10 - just orered one last night and also thinking of picking up a Ra Clicky tactical this week so a comparison is great.

Looking at comparing the output - so the Ra blows the D10 away? Which model were you using?

Thanks!

TNYankee

Newly Enlightened
New member, here. I just wanted to say "thanks" to all those posting their D10 experiences here. I just received mine a couple days ago, and am quite happy with it. After reading the post above about slow double & triple clicks being solved by a different lube, I think I may try that after using it for a few more weeks. Good idea!

burntoshine

Enlightened
can anyone out there help me find some good NON-SILICONE o-rings for the piston on my Nitecore EX10 Q5?

more info on my problem here. read post #37

help is much appreciated!!

Rion

Newly Enlightened
Your have to be careful with this kind of high power light, it can drain a new AA battery in about 20 minutes and a old AA might not be able to sustain full power for more than a few minutes.
The standby drain on this light will takes months to drain a battery. Try setting the light on low power and turn it off with a press. Then check once a day if it still has power, if it only last a week or two, you light has a fault.

I have this draining problem from the day I bought it, kept changing new batt. Standby at most last 1 week. Yes, I know, very bad. I have always been wondering till now. Long time since I last search around for solutions about this problem.

How long is the warranty? Wonder if i can get RMA.

Edit: Found warranty length, 1 year from purchase.

Last edited: