Nitecore D10 Q5 vs Fenix LD10(or L1D) Q5

squaat

Newly Enlightened
This is an interesting thread. I too am wondering about the D10. I have a question about the D10 UI.

From what I understand there are shortcuts to low and max. "Double click" and "Click then hold".

Normally you use this when the flash light is already on, but i've read that if the flashlight is off you can simply add a single click to the start and it will work. (ie: triple click for low and double click then hold for high)

My question is, when you do a triple click when the flash light is off, does it go straight into low mode, or does it flash briefly at the "memory" level then go to low mode? (just thinking that a brief flash could really screw up night adapted eyes)

HKJ

Flashaholic
My question is, when you do a triple click when the flash light is off, does it go straight into low mode, or does it flash briefly at the "memory" level then go to low mode? (just thinking that a brief flash could really screw up night adapted eyes)

It goes to the memory level.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As quickly as you press, it cycles through 1) Last setting, 2) Off, 3) Low.

If you hold on the third press it will hesitate on low, then jump to high.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it flashes at the memory level before going to low.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
My main concern about the D10 is the variable output. I would like to use the low and medium power the most, but does it take a long time to switch from low to medium as opposed to clicking the switch on the Fenix?

Just want to mention that the Jetbeam IBS user interface is the best of both worlds. You get to set 3 unique light levels, and you can select between the three with a quick tap of the switch. You set the default level the light always comes on in, and you can set two additional levels.
I have the Jet II IBS and love it. I have mine configured to wake up in the lowest mode. A quick tap on the switch puts it into a low-medium level that I use the most. Another quick tap and i get full power.
Unfortunately, the Jet II IBS is too bulky for EDC in a pocket.:sigh:
The light I carry in my pocket is my Nitecore EX10DG. It's user interface is not quite as good as the Jet IBS, but it's a close second. Plus it's smaller and it tailstands nicely. The Jet can't tailstand.
Lowest mode is about the same between the EX10DG and the Jet II IBS. The Jet is just a bit brighter.
Highest mode, the Jet stomps the EX10. The Jet is brighter and has a much longer throw.
If I had to chose one for EDC, it would be the EX10GD. I like it so much, I'll be getting the EX20, dual CR123 version when it comes out and the D20, dual AA light when it comes out. :D
If Jet comes out with a slimmer head light running IBS with the ability to tailstand, they could be a fierce competitior to Nitecore for ECD use.

Last edited:

cheetokhan

Enlightened

I just tried this with my EX10GD.
I set it to about mid level then turned it off.
Then I pressed 3 times as fast as I could. as soon as I made the first press, the light came on at my preset mid level and it stayed there until I had completely released the switch after the third press.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just want to mention that the Jetbeam IBS user interface is the best of both worlds. You get to set 3 unique light levels, and you can select between the three with a quick tap of the switch. You set the default level the light always comes on in, and you can set two additional levels.
I have the Jet II IBS and love it. I have mine configured to wake up in the lowest mode. A quick tap on the switch puts it into a low-medium level that I use the most. Another quick tap and i get full power.
Unfortunately, the Jet II IBS is too bulky for EDC in a pocket.:sigh:
If Jet comes out with a slimmer head light running IBS with the ability to tailstand, they could be a fierce competitior to Nitecore for ECD use.
I feel pretty much the same and look forward to JetBeam making a more compact version of the Jet-I Pro IBS, because it would be in my pocket instead of the D10.
I definitely reccomend it for anyone carrying in a holster.
I just tried this with my EX10GD.
I set it to about mid level then turned it off.
Then I pressed 3 times as fast as I could. as soon as I made the first press, the light came on at my preset mid level and it stayed there until I had completely released the switch after the third press.
My D10-GD goes to high even if I keep the switch held. :rolleyes:

mostly harmless

Newly Enlightened
If I had to choose one of these lights for a climbing trip the D10 wins hands down. It doesn't even come close... I like my L1D very much but it's not as useful in the real world. Knurling would be a requirement for any light that goes hiking, camping or climbing with me. I honestly think if you get the L1D for climbing you'll be disappointed. Now for around the house and such the L1D shines and is more efficient...
thanks for the warning, but the construction of the body doesn't concern me too much, as i will be using the light handsfree, attached to a headband most of the time. i love the pd system, though and if i can make sure d10 doesn't get annoyingly dimmer at hi modes during operation, i'll just go for it. ramping seems reaaly cool!

mostly harmless

Newly Enlightened
holger,
i shopped from 4sevens before and they are really cool; but i guess i just got unlucky, my light got lost on the way. i think i won't do free mail deliveries anymore and stick with expensive ups or fedex for sake of tracking number. cheers anyway.

Last edited:

mostly harmless

Newly Enlightened
These two threads should give you a good idea of the runtime's of the D10 and one compares it to the L1D.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202436

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206178

FWIW, I have the D10 and love it. Over 4 days on low with an ALKALINE!
Happy reading and :welcome:
i had seen these already, excellent stuff.
if i got the charts right, i souldn't worry about d10's bad regulation as long as i stick with juicy nimh's.. right?
actually i'd really like to hear from someone who actually has tried and seen how dim d10 and ld10 go in time compared to each other with both alkaline and nimh batteries.. asking too much? :)

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't tell the difference between high and max on a Fenix, why even bother with high? I use low and max a vast majority of the time.

I had/have both the D10/D10GDP and several L1D-Q5 units before being distributed. I kept one each for myself. FWIW, there is a noticeable difference between Max and Turbo on the L1D-Q5, but _only_ if the Ni-MH cells are relatively new and fully charged. Otherwise, no intensity difference or maybe even a slight drop in intensity from max to turbo! A single AA light needs all of the voltage it can get to make a difference. An older Ni-MH cell does not hold the voltage under a heavy load as well as a newer Ni-MH cell, all else being equal. and BTW, the supposed capacity claim does not make much difference. The age of the Ni-MH cell makes a large difference.

I was surprised at the brightness difference in a single light during random comparisons with other single AA lights. I swapped cells maybe a dozen times with 4 different brands before I believed what I was seeing, or not seeing. Most of my Ni-Mh cells are perhaps mid-life. I did have some Maha Imedion that had only a couple cycles on them. With those I could clearly see a difference between max and turbo.

and yes, nearly all of my usage is at min or max. Even with the D10 or D20, I rarely use any intensity setting in between min and max. My P3D-Q5 is normally used on turbo. Sometimes when I want more light, I tape two similar lights together. two P3D-Q5 units makes a difference in my back yard with coons in the trees arguing with each other. That much light tends to stop the arguing and I can go back to sleep.

Latest posts