Nitecore EA4 Equivilant

Budwozza

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend an Equivalent Flashlight to a Nitecore EA4? - needs to use AA batteries and be of a similar size.

Father in law was bought an EA4 as a present and instructed not to use Alkaline cells - he however knew better and the inevitable happened, they leaked and killed the EA4.

So I need a good replacement that is similar in size and output but cheaper.

Thanks.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman D40A in cool white, or neutral white LEDs. EagleTac GX25-A3.

I have the CW D40A and picked it over the EA4, back in January. It's a bit more money, but seemed to me at the time, to be a better built and more flexible light.

So switch cover issues, either.

Chris

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys, Father in law was bought an EA4 as a present and instructed not to use Alkaline cells - he however knew better and the inevitable happened, they leaked and killed the EA4.
Thanks.

If the batteries were Duracell or Eveready, send the light with batteries to the company for the repair or replacement warranty.

Bought my Dad a Led Lenser last Christmas, gave him a couple of Eneloops and a charger. Too much trouble for him to remember to charger one battery while using the other, so he installed Duracells and they puked leaking into the switch.

Duracell sent a check for the value of the light and a voucher for $10 for future Duracell product.

Took about two weeks to process the claim.

movanoman

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend an Equivalent Flashlight to a Nitecore EA4? - needs to use AA batteries and be of a similar size.

Father in law was bought an EA4 as a present and instructed not to use Alkaline cells - he however knew better and the inevitable happened, they leaked and killed the EA4.

So I need a good replacement that is similar in size and output but cheaper.

Thanks.

Ea41 is an upgraded replacement for ea4. I looked at d40a a little brighter on turbo but after that IMO the Nitecore U I is far better you have instant access to low or turbo mode or last on memory, becon mode to find the lamp in the dark, and battery voltage indicator and without the switch problems of the ea4. Had mine a week now and I have to say I am impressed best I can also use it with gloves on for the winter dog walks.

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
The D40a has instant access to turbo and moonlight. It also has mode memory and is brighter. I just got a d40aVN with a PDTc from vinh over in the modder forums and it looks to be athe best AA coke can light by far. Everything I said applies to the factory light only the modded one has twice the lux and a few hundred more lumens.

Before I found the modded light I was very much leaning towards the eagletac gx25a3 after liking my sx25l3.

Not doubting that people have great luck with Nitecore and love them but I've had 0 luck with them. I got an ea1 and ec25 that have had manufacturing problems so I just choose to stay away from them unless they come out with something that is one of a kind.

Ea41 is an upgraded replacement for ea4. I looked at d40a a little brighter on turbo but after that IMO the Nitecore U I is far better you have instant access to low or turbo mode or last on memory, becon mode to find the lamp in the dark, and battery voltage indicator and without the switch problems of the ea4. Had mine a week now and I have to say I am impressed best I can also use it with gloves on for the winter dog walks.

Last edited:

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I don't think you will find a less expensive alternative. If you can find another EA4, thst might be your best option.

djw479

Newly Enlightened
How about another EA4.

Illumination Supply has a 25% discount code "Treat" that's good from 10/25 to 10/31/14. And has EA4s on sale for $39.99, so using code they're $29.99 plus shipping.

I don't think you'll find anything comparable for less $$$...especially if your FIL likes to kill flashlights. :whistle:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as 4xAA lights, there's also the Jetbeam SRA40. This one is somewhat more obscure than the EA4/EA41 and D40A. But it has many of the same attributes, including a couple more. Like the EA4 (and unlike the D40A), it does not use a battery carrier. I consider this a definite plus, as battery carriers make battery changes more difficult (especially in the dark) and they sometimes fail (which can render a light useless if the manufacturer refuses to sell replacements, and some do). The SRA40 also has larger reflector than either the EA4/EA41 or the SRA40, which makes the light throwier than either of those. So if throw is important to your father in law, this is a plus.

Finally, the SRA40 has onboard charging. Admittedly, it will charge the batteries in series, which is not the best thing for them. However, charging current is apparently a rather low (350mA), which makes it less harmful than charging the batteries in series at, say, 1A. You could even let it charge to a little less than a full charge so that the batteries are not harmed. And perhaps most important for your father in law, there is no need to bother with removing the batteries and putting them in a charger. You can just plug the light in and let it charge. So even if the internal charging feature is less than ideal from the standpoint of overall battery health, it would beat using alkaline batteries and destroying the light. After all, a quad of rechargeables is MUCH cheaper than a new light. And the convenience of onboard charging just might be enough to discourage your father in law from using alkalines.

Last edited: