Nitecore EA4 Pioneer review (cool white)

dougie

Enlightened
Re: NITECORE EA4 PIONEER (cool white) review

Not an elegant or particularly aesthetically pleasing solution but the use of a large cable tie stops it rolling around! :)

windsurf

Newly Enlightened

This is from the manual. I don't see where it specifies a half or full press to get out of lockout .

Capture_zpsea8b8b6a.jpg

[

Good catch on that last sentence. I assumed a full press to be consistent with other on/off operations and what the Sysmax rep stated. My manual (and the pdf on their website) was an incorrect printing. A Sysmax rep stated so in the main CPF EA4 thread (post #288). Again, it didn't state full or half press, but it would have been great either way:

With the light turned on, press the switch all the way down and hold for
more than one second. The light will turn off and enter into lockout mode.
Lockout mode consumes almost no battery power and prevents the light
from accidentally turning on. To exit lockout mode, simply press the
switch three times within one second

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Hi
The rain has stopped for a while, so got out in the garden to do some outdoor shots as promised.
Again I have played around with exposure and aperture to try to make the photos as close as possible to what I see.
OD2.JPG
OD2XL.JPG

OT2L.JPG
OD2M.JPG

OD2H.JPG
OD2T.JPG

OD1XL.JPG
OD1L.JPG

OD1M.JPG
OD1H.JPG

OD1T.jpg

SKYRAIDER59

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the review. Since Nitecore made the EA4, I was waiting for it.

More pictures would be great, outside beamshots at long range and some views in different context of use.

So, I didn't buy the EA4. Here is why :

There is a german video on Youtube comparing with Eagletac G25C2. Good idea. Same reflector size, lumen, lux... Not the same batteries and run-times, not the same UI. Not the same price.

Nitecore seems cheaper, Eagletac better finish, but overall Nitecore lacks some useful accessories. G25C2 has diffuser, filters, extension tube... EA4 has none of these.

Comparing those two brands, I found that Eagletac offers a great choice of led as soon as possible, updating their product. But Nitecore is still with XP-G S2 and did not update the explorer series yet, as Eagletac did with D25 series. Last but not least, XM-L U3 is ready but both, Eagletac and Nitecore, are selling U2 like the last step in evolution. Maybe things are going to fast for resellers.

In fact, we need upgradable modules. And speaking about politic, I believe Eagletac can do it. It's not perfect, it's on the way.

But, Nitecore, what about that ? Want to change from CW to NW ? Then, buy another light ? It's not a choice. It's marketing. Even a new led module is expensive, maybe a color filter (like a camera filter) is less. No filter, of course.

Sorry about this tough but about EA4, there is more to say in pros and cons :

Pros : This product do not really compare with other. This design, compact with four Eneloop batteries, is quite unique. And so, desirable. But how would it compare in use and run-times with a D-Cell design or a 3x18650 design ? Sure, different strokes for different folks, but also, marketing is able to design useless things for rich people, just got to make it a bit cheaper. A new design is great but what for ?

Cons : This product needs some accessories. This product is not upgradable. Some people reports bugs with the UI. As you said, there is no antiroll and the accidentally-ON function is poorly designed. So, this is a new design, but maybe a bit too new. And if the low is not low enough, it's because good customers may think this product is designed for typical use, not for edc. Then buy another light for edc. Nonsense, this light just can't do what other can do. A searchlight with 3 minutes blindness turbo witch can stand like a candle to illuminate the kitchen... No offense, it's just funny.

Pros/Cons : This EA4 is a minimalist design, the more lumen in the smaller light (what about heat control ?), without tactical identity. Seems like anything practical doesn't matter. Something for the geeks we are, but lacking XML-U3. Disappointed I have to wait for it, because I don't want to buy more and more lights. For my geek needs, I may go with a Sunwayman Sirius anyway. For my other needs, I will go with a more practical standard and upgradable hand held light. Accessories and attachment compatibility is great. New design is great too but not loosing on the essential, not that way...

What is marketing nowadays : "I don't want it but I have to resist". So, we need more advice from disappointed customers. You said you will buy the EA4 again, I say you will forget it soon, when the EC26 (maybe this one maybe not) is released... Too many newly designed products, but witch one will be perfected at time ?

Like Zebralight selling a non-removable diffuser on their lights because they are too small to accept accessories and flashalcoholics still waiting for the all-flood model... Who cares they are not making different heads for the same model ? Nobody, because it's so cute ! It sucks.

:thumbsdow

That said, I wish everyone happy Christmas and happy new year.

Interesting thoughts on the flashlights and marketing and regarding <<You said you will buy the EA4 again, I say you will forget it soon>>
There is some truth in this, yes like all flashaholics, some time in the future, I will come across something which will fulfill my needs better and will forget about it the EA4, but until that time, I would buy one again despite the fact that it is not perfect and has some basic flaws.
For my EDC, I use a V11R (with or without extension). I do use my flashlights for cycling, camping, working on cars, around the house and at work.
While camping, I have been using mainly Solarforce L2 series as lanterns or for night walking, good output/run time, but you can not buy fully charged 18650 from local shops, hence the desire of owning a H-Power/long running AA driven compact flashlight, the EA4 fitted the bill nicely! From the ceiling bounce shots, I think every one can see that this will make a perfect lantern with a decent run time, for me, this will also act as a walking out light, a search light when needed and in an emergency a very bright flashing rescue beacon! So for me, this is well suited to my outdoor needs!. Something that prospective buyer should be aware: this is a heavy flashlight 277gr fully loaded!

Regarding your comments on customer choices and abilities of upgrading your flashlight, not the case with the EA4 and with many others; if this is what your are looking for, have a look at the Solarforce range, for me they represent the best value for money, they may not be the best, but the manufacturing is good and you can change led module, head, lens, body, driving battery mode, switch and they have loads of accessories, I love them!

Happy and very bright New Year to everyone
Skyraider59

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the new sig: "Marketing is able to design useless things for rich people"

Thank you for the review. Since Nitecore made the EA4, I was waiting for it.

More pictures would be great, outside beamshots at long range and some views in different context of use.

So, I didn't buy the EA4. Here is why :

There is a german video on Youtube comparing with Eagletac G25C2. Good idea. Same reflector size, lumen, lux... Not the same batteries and run-times, not the same UI. Not the same price.

Nitecore seems cheaper, Eagletac better finish, but overall Nitecore lacks some useful accessories. G25C2 has diffuser, filters, extension tube... EA4 has none of these.

Comparing those two brands, I found that Eagletac offers a great choice of led as soon as possible, updating their product. But Nitecore is still with XP-G S2 and did not update the explorer series yet, as Eagletac did with D25 series. Last but not least, XM-L U3 is ready but both, Eagletac and Nitecore, are selling U2 like the last step in evolution. Maybe things are going to fast for resellers.

In fact, we need upgradable modules. And speaking about politic, I believe Eagletac can do it. It's not perfect, it's on the way.

But, Nitecore, what about that ? Want to change from CW to NW ? Then, buy another light ? It's not a choice. It's marketing. Even a new led module is expensive, maybe a color filter (like a camera filter) is less. No filter, of course.

Sorry about this tough but about EA4, there is more to say in pros and cons :

Pros : This product do not really compare with other. This design, compact with four Eneloop batteries, is quite unique. And so, desirable. But how would it compare in use and run-times with a D-Cell design or a 3x18650 design ? Sure, different strokes for different folks, but also, marketing is able to design useless things for rich people, just got to make it a bit cheaper. A new design is great but what for ?

Cons : This product needs some accessories. This product is not upgradable. Some people reports bugs with the UI. As you said, there is no antiroll and the accidentally-ON function is poorly designed. So, this is a new design, but maybe a bit too new. And if the low is not low enough, it's because good customers may think this product is designed for typical use, not for edc. Then buy another light for edc. Nonsense, this light just can't do what other can do. A searchlight with 3 minutes blindness turbo witch can stand like a candle to illuminate the kitchen... No offense, it's just funny.

Pros/Cons : This EA4 is a minimalist design, the more lumen in the smaller light (what about heat control ?), without tactical identity. Seems like anything practical doesn't matter. Something for the geeks we are, but lacking XML-U3. Disappointed I have to wait for it, because I don't want to buy more and more lights. For my geek needs, I may go with a Sunwayman Sirius anyway. For my other needs, I will go with a more practical standard and upgradable hand held light. Accessories and attachment compatibility is great. New design is great too but not loosing on the essential, not that way...

What is marketing nowadays : "I don't want it but I have to resist". So, we need more advice from disappointed customers. You said you will buy the EA4 again, I say you will forget it soon, when the EC26 (maybe this one maybe not) is released... Too many newly designed products, but witch one will be perfected at time ?

Like Zebralight selling a non-removable diffuser on their lights because they are too small to accept accessories and flashalcoholics still waiting for the all-flood model... Who cares they are not making different heads for the same model ? Nobody, because it's so cute ! It sucks.

:thumbsdow

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

You joined CPF, this is your first and only post, and diarrhea comes spewing out of your mouth like this?
LOL!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHH LOL!!!!!! Dang it Gordo, now I'm going to be laughing for the next 8 hours and people are going to think I'm insane.

Urbon

Banned

You joined CPF, this is your first and only post, and diarrhea comes spewing out of your mouth like this?

Ho yes. LOL LOL LOL. I opened an account on CPF just to write this shitty post, not to make new friends. Crazy :naughty:

Nevermind... I will look at Solarforce product line like advised. I believe someone already understood me.

Bye.

MIKES250R

Enlightened

Urbon is a E4 Hater! I ordered an E4 because there is nothing this powerful and compact that accepts AAs, and I have a ton of them. I also am trying to get away from multi-cell lights that run on 18650s as I am afraid of blowing my thumbs off.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened

Nice job sky, very thorough review. The light certainly has some shortcomings as I think no one denies; the trouble is it has little-to-no competition in it's battery and size category. Hopefully either Nitecore or another manufacturer (ie. Zebralight) will learn from these mistakes and offer better competition in the same class.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully either Nitecore [...] will learn from these mistakes and offer better competition in the same class.
I don´t think so. Usually Nitecore releases new lights with diffferent problems. What they need to learn is quality control and to think things thoroughly through (meaning propper R&D!!!!!! which they are clearly not doing yet) before they release a light. Problem is, people still buy their lights (= no learning ;) ) as do I. I like my EC1 very much and I´m sure my EA4 as well when it arrives :sick2:.

Eric

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Urbon will not be with us anymore. Joined CPF to be disruptive, and made no bones about it.

Bill

gbsbg

Newly Enlightened

Ho yes. LOL LOL LOL. I opened an account on CPF just to write this shitty post, not to make new friends. Crazy :naughty:

Nevermind... I will look at Solarforce product line like advised. I believe someone already understood me.

Bye.

Urbon will not be with us anymore. Joined CPF to be disruptive, and made no bones about it.

Bill

I am new in this forum and try to express a few thoughts and my opinion here. Till now I found a lot of useful information about flashlights as I was looking for one to buy. I fell for the EA4 and are very satisfied with it despite its flaws you are discussing here. It's a great light and can be operated with eneloops which I have a lot of.

What me surprises are the replies to Urbons post. Did you read and understand the ideas he tried to express? Is it an offense to express ones opinion? Or to write a longer text with own thoughts? Must everybody love the EA4? I think there might be truth in his thoughts but maybe I didn't understand him (and his critics) right since I am not a native English speaker. But some of the replies seem unnecessarily rude and impolite to a new member in this forum who tries to express his sight of the things.

So, I wish you all a happy, peaceful, tolerant and above all enlightened New Year.
Gerd

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I am new in this forum and try to express a few thoughts and my opinion here. Till now I found a lot of useful information about flashlights as I was looking for one to buy. I fell for the EA4 and are very satisfied with it despite its flaws you are discussing here. It's a great light and can be operated with eneloops which I have a lot of. What me surprises are the replies to Urbons post. Did you read and understand the ideas he tried to express? Is it an offense to express ones opinion? Or to write a longer text with own thoughts? Must everybody love the EA4? I think there might be truth in his thoughts but maybe I didn't understand him (and his critics) right since I am not a native English speaker. But some of the replies seem unnecessarily rude and impolite to a new member in this forum who tries to express his sight of the things.So, I wish you all a happy, peaceful, tolerant and above all enlightened New Year.Gerd
I admit I'm only speculating here, but it probably wasn't this post that caused issues. We need to leave that up to the moderators to decide since they're monitoring more than just this one post.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Hi Guys, everyone is entitled two have different opinions on any flashlights, all we looking for is constructive (but not too passionate) criticisms or praises, so please can we close the page on Urbon and go back to the initial thread.

Regarding exiting the light from lockout mode, thanks to the readers we appear to have more than one way to achieve this.

According to the instruction/Nitecore manual download
we have <<To come out of the lockout mode, the Nitecore instruction tell you to fully depress the switch for more than a second,>>

Myself, all I do is depress it fully and keep it depress for about 2 seconds until the light switch itself on, then I release the switch.

Also Inquisitiveinquirer also found another way: i can get out of lockout by just doing a half click and hold

And thanks from windsurf we heard that a Sysmax rep has another way of exiting! exit lockout mode, simply press the switch three times within one second.

Not great!

This does look like you will have to watch out when in your ruck or pocket! It maybe a good idea to keep it in its holster and placing the switch in one of the corners were the likeliness of something pressing on it would be pretty low, not ideal, but a flat EA4 won't be of any use to anyone.

Something else that I have done, that do look OK and may help is placing a thick black O ring (or GDI) in the full grove on the rear of the switch, this does shield the switch a little and may help.
I will upload a photo later on
Skyraider59

RBH

Newly Enlightened

One thing I haven't heard much about is the run times people are getting on the EA4.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

One thing I haven't heard much about is the run times people are getting on the EA4.
well, expecting 1.5 hours on high is thinking extremely positively, as i get about 35 min continuous on 80% eneloops...im guessing its more around 50 min. as far as turbo goes, 8 x 3 minute dropdowns later the indicator is flashing rapidly and shows 4.6 v, which is lower than im comfortable running eneloops on...havent tried the lowest mode yet, but i think i would be confident on having it run at least 15 hours continuous on regular blue eneloops from costco.

keep in mind this is all from passive hand / environmental cooling, using regular eneloops rather than 2500 high caps, and i dont run the light till its dry so i dont kill my cells

jomox

Newly Enlightened

Nice job sky, very thorough review. The light certainly has some shortcomings as I think no one denies; the trouble is it has little-to-no competition in it's battery and size category. Hopefully either Nitecore or another manufacturer (ie. Zebralight) will learn from these mistakes and offer better competition in the same class.

Agreed, would love to see more competition to the EA4 with AA's. Time for the other manufacturers to step up.

gbsbg

Newly Enlightened

well, expecting 1.5 hours on high is thinking extremely positively, as i get about 35 min continuous on 80% eneloops...im guessing its more around 50 min. as far as turbo goes, 8 x 3 minute dropdowns later the indicator is flashing rapidly and shows 4.6 v, which is lower than im comfortable running eneloops on...havent tried the lowest mode yet, but i think i would be confident on having it run at least 15 hours continuous on regular blue eneloops from costco.

keep in mind this is all from passive hand / environmental cooling, using regular eneloops rather than 2500 high caps, and i dont run the light till its dry so i dont kill my cells

I tried a runtime test with new eneloops apr. 1850 mAh each. The lux are not in 1 m and only to see the regulation.
After exactly 3 min boost changed to high and the lux decreased till I switched on a fan at a little after 30 min, then the lux increased and stayed pretty stable till the end. In the medium test I could not feel any heat, it was not even warm.

time medium boost temp
min lux lux °C
00:00 5010
00:01 18100
00:02 17940
00:03 11200
00:05 11150
00:10 4970
11100 35
00:20 4910 10960 39
00:30 4900 10880 41
00:40 4850 11070 33
00:50 4840 11100 31
01:00 4840 11150 30
01:10 4840 11160 30
01:20 4840 11200 30
01:30 4850 11100 30
01:31 4850 7000 31
01:40 - 02:50

03:00
03:10 550

Last edited:

RBH

Newly Enlightened

post deleted

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

Thanks gbsbg, great work.
As we speak I am running a test on high with Eneloop black Xx 2500 mAh, so far up to 55mn, and output very stable, 45200 lux, (home made integration sphere) I did switch the fan after 15mn as the flashlight was warming up evenly trough out the head and body, I think the one piece head and body design is working well into dispersing heat. Will let you have some figures later on this evening.
Skyraider59

Last edited: