Nitecore EA4 (XM-L U2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My diffuser solution has the same effect as the Olight filter. It's always on my EA4W and also adds anti-roll & lens protection. :thumbsup:

Although it appears the cap blocks part of the lens area, there's full 180 degree illumination (from my feet to directly overhead)

8748349464_c68152fd66_z.jpg

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll bite - where's that diffuser from? Looks good, I always like flip-top style diffusers myself. :)
Diffuser material is pretty common once you start looking for it. After a couple trials, I found what I liked in my office
supplies at work.

Possibly a ButlerCreek Blizzard #4/#5 scope cover fitted with an improvised diffuser material ? see illustrated write-up here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ve-Protector-that-snaps-open-amp-closed!-Pics!__philippe
Bingo!

Gman363

Newly Enlightened
I like my E4 a lot,nice light

:wave: I am new to the forum and do not have the expertise or knowledge of many others here (yet) but have always enjoyed flashlights. Thanks to this review I purchased the Nitecore EA4. Awesome flashlight for its size and great one to keep around in case of a power failure since it runs on AA batteries.

Thank you for the review

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
My diffuser solution has the same effect as the Olight filter. It's always on my EA4W and also adds anti-roll & lens protection. :thumbsup:

Although it appears the cap blocks part of the lens area, there's full 180 degree illumination (from my feet to directly overhead)

8748349464_c68152fd66_z.jpg

Yikes and after I just bought two of the M22 filters! That looks very neat SCEMan. Have you had any problems with the filter cover opening too easily as been reported on Amazon?

I will agree with selfbuilt that the M22's fit nice and tight which is nice but SCEMan's solution seems much better and handier.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will agree with selfbuilt that the M22's fit nice and tight which is nice but SCEMan's solution seems much better and handier.

No, mine snaps tightly and won't open accidentally. When I'm walking and need a diffuser and occasional throw, I unsnap it and hold it down with my finger or release as needed. Very convenient.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, mine snaps tightly and won't open accidentally. When I'm walking and need a diffuser and occasional throw, I unsnap it and hold it down with my finger or release as needed. Very convenient.

Ordered one on eBay. $12.20 with free shipping.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Fortunately, Cabela's Canada also carries the Butler Creek Blizzard Scope Cover, size 5, that SCEMan shows above. :thumbsup:

Mine came today, which I quickly outfitted with some adhesive D-C-Fix diffuser material that I tested for jzmtl a few year back.

EA4-ButlerCreek001.jpg

EA4-ButlerCreek020.jpg

EA4-ButlerCreek014.jpg

And next to the Olight M22 diffuser:
EA4-ButlerCreek007.jpg

EA4-ButlerCreek013.jpg

This is really an excellent flip-up style cover - thanks for the tip SCEMan. :twothumbs The hinge is spring-loaded, so it flips up with ease. It also seems to stay closed petty well, as long as you fully seat it (by pressing down on the two protruding flanges to close). Nice construction with the metal retaining ring holding the plastic window in place. You just need to get the metal retaining ring unhooked from the first plastic restrainer, and then can easily proceed in sequence (start from the end that is jagged, as you can slip a fine jeweler's screwdriver or tweezer in there). Once you get it out, the clear plastic lens falls out - which you can cover with your choice of material, and then reassemble.

Note that the Olight M22 or Nitecore NFD40 diffusers are too big to fit into the Butler Creek, so you will have to relay on diffuser film. You can experiment with different kinds. The one I'm using above, d-c-fix (provided by jzmtl), is a relatively mild diffusion. I expected light loss in this case is less than the other two actual diffusers I've tested, but haven't measured it. But that's largely immaterial - pick whatever material you like, for whatever level of diffusion you want. :) You could even sandpaper the clear lens, etc.

For the price, it seems like a great buy so far. Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the diffusion material sold by member vinhnguyen54 on mine and it's the best I've ever tried.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks Selfbuilt. Any chance you can get a beamshot comparison of the M22 diffuser and Butler Creek? The Butler Creek opening looks rather small, so I'm wondering if that matters.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks Selfbuilt. Any chance you can get a beamshot comparison of the M22 diffuser and Butler Creek? The Butler Creek opening looks rather small, so I'm wondering if that matters.
It doesn't seem to cause much of a problem - I still notice a very wide dispersion with the butler creek in place. Well worth it for the flip-top design, IMO. I'll see if I can do some pics eventually, but am currently away (and have a lot of lights waiting for me when I get back).

markr6

Flashaholic
It doesn't seem to cause much of a problem - I still notice a very wide dispersion with the butler creek in place. Well worth it for the flip-top design, IMO. I'll see if I can do some pics eventually, but am currently away (and have a lot of lights waiting for me when I get back).

No problem, I'll take your word for it! It's not too expensive so I'll probably order one and try it out.

holylight

Enlightened
Bros I need a help, anyone can help me test what's the standby current draw to deplete the battery in years if I were to do a soft lock out. I asking this because hard lock out with tail cap is almost impossible unless I totally unscrew the tail cap. Help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bro selfbuild tested d40a takes 20years and gx25a3 takes 3years to deplete the batteries, which I think is very nice result( for information of AAs lovers out there)

Last edited: