Nitecore ec25 or fenix pd35

JohnGribbin

Newly Enlightened
as far as I can tell the ec25 doesn't need to step down from turbo or high mode due to heat. I really like the floody beam on the pd35 but I don't know how floody the ec25 is? Otherwise they seem similar in weight price and lumens. What do you think?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the manual, it switches to high mode after 3 minutes! This seems to be a trend now with a lot of lights!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
EC25 throws pretty well with a wide sidespill. Step down to High is hardly noticeable unless switching back and forth to Turbo.
IMHO, great UI but requires learning soft press technique. Blue locater LED/battery meter is very useful.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
as far as I can tell the ec25 doesn't need to step down from turbo or high mode due to heat. I really like the floody beam on the pd35 but I don't know how floody the ec25 is? Otherwise they seem similar in weight price and lumens. What do you think?

As an owner of both lights, I will make a list like this:

EC25 Cobra over the PD35:
1. Cool looking (with the heat fins thingy)
2. Has a voltage level display on the power / mode button
3. floodier beam
4. a bit shorter (almost as short as the Zebralight SC600 (which you may want to consider with the ZL being more floodier than these two)
5. has a lockout feature (but a bit useless because if this gets pinned down by something hard enough, it WILL activate)
6. Cheaper than the PD35 (the PD series of Fenix lights are priced a bit higher than the other comparative models in their line) (such an example, E35 which I also own, is actually floodier than these two come of think of it)
7. throws better than the PD32, with its bigger head.
8. led beacon on the switch/mode button will show you where the light is in the dark. (very handy, and the parasitic drain is negligible)
(that's it from the top of my head)

PD35 over the EC25 Cobra:
1. Fenix quality. I have never bought a fenix light with crappy quality (or maybe im just lucky) after years of buying their products.
2. Tailcap On/Off Switch (no accidental activations here, EVER)
3. Anodizing, the Fenix lights have better anodizing than ANY nitecore I've ever owned. Even the cheaper line Fenix E series, resists chips more than its Nitecore counterparts.
4. Mode button's easier to use, the EC25 you have to use "gentle" presses to get to the other modes, so if you have heavy hands like me, it takes a while to get used to changing modes without accidentally turning the light off. haha
5. Durability, I would give this to the PD35 as it seems like the more solid light of the two.
6. Floodier than the EC25.
7. Has mode modes than the EC25, thus better runtime.

To end, both these lights are great lights, almost the same, but still distinct from each other. If you plan to use it a long time, rather than collect it, i'd tell you to go for the PD35. If you want a cool-looking light for show and its high-tech features and a bit better throw, go for the EC25.

However, you may want to check out the recently released Nitecore P16 (my next light to order! haha) which is actually better in everything that these two lights can deliver (plus cheaper). :)

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore EC25 is designed to be a little throwy, but not too much. I think it is the better light.

More importantly, what specifically are you gonna use the light for?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an owner of both lights, I will make a list like this:

EC25 Cobra over the PD35:
1. Cool looking (with the heat fins thingy)
2. Has a voltage level display on the power / mode button
3. floodier beam
4. a bit shorter (almost as short as the Zebralight SC600 (which you may want to consider with the ZL being more floodier than these two)
5. has a lockout feature (but a bit useless because if this gets pinned down by something hard enough, it WILL activate)
6. Cheaper than the PD35 (the PD series of Fenix lights are priced a bit higher than the other comparative models in their line) (such an example, E35 which I also own, is actually floodier than these two come of think of it)
7. throws better than the PD32, with its bigger head.
8. led beacon on the switch/mode button will show you where the light is in the dark. (very handy, and the parasitic drain is negligible)
(that's it from the top of my head)

PD35 over the EC25 Cobra:
1. Fenix quality. I have never bought a fenix light with crappy quality (or maybe im just lucky) after years of buying their products.
2. Tailcap On/Off Switch (no accidental activations here, EVER)
3. Anodizing, the Fenix lights have better anodizing than ANY nitecore I've ever owned. Even the cheaper line Fenix E series, resists chips more than its Nitecore counterparts.
4. Mode button's easier to use, the EC25 you have to use "gentle" presses to get to the other modes, so if you have heavy hands like me, it takes a while to get used to changing modes without accidentally turning the light off. haha
5. Durability, I would give this to the PD35 as it seems like the more solid light of the two.
6. Floodier than the EC25.
7. Has mode modes than the EC25, thus better runtime.

To end, both these lights are great lights, almost the same, but still distinct from each other. If you plan to use it a long time, rather than collect it, i'd tell you to go for the PD35. If you want a cool-looking light for show and its high-tech features and a bit better throw, go for the EC25.

However, you may want to check out the recently released Nitecore P16 (my next light to order! haha) which is actually better in everything that these two lights can deliver (plus cheaper). :)

Fantastic just what we need someone who owns both,much prefer reading users reports rather than armchair experts.:)

viperxp

Enlightened
I think there are much better lights today from other companies. Maybe you will describe your needs and it will allow to give you advice of another options?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic just what we need someone who owns both,much prefer reading users reports rather than armchair experts.:)

Yup! You said it! Better to share experiences rather than base it on what was posted on the manufacturer's website.