Nitecore Explorer (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2) Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

Rexlion

Enlightened
I finally gave in and ordered an EA2. It came today. I really like it, except for one problem: mine came with no tailcap spring! I had to stuff a wad of aluminum foil in there to try it out. Back it goes for replacement......

igoman

Newly Enlightened
The small red LED on my EA2 is turned on constantly. Its dimmer than as if it would be turned on (with mode button), but its still on. Its on even in lockout mode. To turn it off I must do it with unscrewing the tailcap. I use eneloops, but I had to peel the white skin of the eneloops off, so that I could insert them in the EA2.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The small red LED on my EA2 is turned on constantly. Its dimmer than as if it would be turned on (with mode button), but its still on. Its on even in lockout mode. To turn it off I must do it with unscrewing the tailcap. I use eneloops, but I had to peel the white skin of the eneloops off, so that I could insert them in the EA2.
That is not good - on all fronts. I heard there was a batch once of EA1s that was too narrow to take NiMH, but this is the first I've heard of it happening with EA2s. Either way, that's unacceptable in my view - you shouldn't need to peel off the wrappers of your Eneloops. On that front alone, I would return the light and ask for a replacement.

The constant red light is definitely not acceptable - it will drain your cells quickly. Contact your dealer to request a RMA.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I bought it on ebay, will ask for a refund. I am really disapointed with the flashlight, even the beam has 3 rings and I dont like that. I also dont like the operating buttons.

Rexlion

Enlightened
My replacement EA2 is working well. Sorry you didn't like the controls, igoman. I guess that's why they make so many different kinds of flashlights nowadays; we all have different preferences. I like the buttons pretty well.

I read a comment somewhere that these lights are not good as bedstand lights because of the red flasher. My bedstand is lower than the top of the mattress, and with the red light pointed toward the mattress I couldn't see a thing. But my wife on the far side complained! I don't know how she can see it. Oh well, now I keep the EA2's controls face-down on the bedstand. :awman: Maybe it's a light only a flashaholic could love.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
IIRC sombody here modded his EC1 with an XP-G2. But I can't find the thread... any idea who it was?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
'ergotelis' modded EC2 and it went from 315 to 398 lm and 6800 to 9700lux/1m. But I wouldn't risk it, Explorer series lights are not very reliable and changing the emitter voids your warranty.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
'ergotelis' modded EC2 and it went from 315 to 398 lm and 6800 to 9700lux/1m. But I wouldn't risk it, Explorer series lights are not very reliable and changing the emitter voids your warranty.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it was him. The thread had pictures with a removed bezel ring in it. Just wanted to know how you can remove it.

Besides I'm not afraid of breaking my lights, so warranty is something I couldn't care less about.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very diffcult to remove bezel ring without breaking the glass.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC sombody here modded his EC1 with an XP-G2. But I can't find the thread... any idea who it was?

I think what was also really cool like this was a member ordered the Eagletac D25LC2 XPG2 with the XMLU2 circuit driver so the XPG2 was driven much harder. Some online vendor then had some made and carry them in stock. I say this because the EC1/EC2 is not driven very hard at all. I do absolutely love the small size of the EC1 with the deep smooth 1" reflector.

DocMortal

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the great review pulled the trigger on the EC2 ,gotta love the 18650 battery.

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
Can somebody please confirm that the EC2 voltmeter is able to read up to 4.2 Volts?

My EC1 doesn't go any higher than 3.9V which doesn't really help to separate the full from the partially full batteries. The EC25 goes all the way to 8.2V btw with two Nitecore RCR123 (4.1V max each) batteries, this is of course even more desirable for a two cell light but up to 4.2V would be sufficient for me to check 18650's in the field.

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick confirmation selfbuilt, same goes for your awesome reviews btw, really appreciated.

lawnman

Newly Enlightened
My first post, I joined after reading a few of selfbuilt reviews they are excellent, looking forward to more.... Thanks

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
I wish there would be an update with XP-G2 and some neutral white LEDs. I wouldn't mind a XM-L2 in a deep reflector like that, either.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My first post, I joined after reading a few of selfbuilt reviews they are excellent, looking forward to more.... Thanks
Thanks, and :welcome:

I wish there would be an update with XP-G2 and some neutral white LEDs. I wouldn't mind a XM-L2 in a deep reflector like that, either.
I agree on the XP-G2 and neutral white front. I think this build is really optimized for throw with the smaller die emitters though, and don't think an XM-L/XM-L2 would add much (beyond raw output - throw still wouldn't be too great). This series is one of the best pocket-throwers I've seen.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
and don't think an XM-L/XM-L2 would add much (beyond raw output - throw still wouldn't be too great). This series is one of the best pocket-throwers I've seen.

I agree. And they are so small despite the deep reflector. I'm just too curious how a direct driven XM-L2 would throw in this kind of set up compared to the XM-L /XM-L2 offerings with shallow op reflectors.

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
I have tested the EC1 for waterproofness btw and it survived being submersed for hour, it was bonedry inside.