Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

GordoJones88

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know how is the ec2 vs the maelstrom g5 in throw??

They are not in the same class really.
The EC2 is an EDC pocket thrower, while the G5 is not.

4Sevens Maelstrom G5 XPGR5
156mm
39mm bezel width
146 grams
17000 lux

Nitecore EC2 XPGR5
99mm
25mm bezel width
59 grams
6500 lux

I would much rather have the EC2.
My 4Sevens Quark Turbo X "stubby" is 98mm and 10,000 lux.

R

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
Yah lol I was wondering if I should replace my g5 guess not but I may pick up one of the other ones.

R

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
Can't say I'm a fan of 123 batteries so most likely it'll be the ea1 just the blinky light might not be good for best carry

Last edited:
GordoJones88

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say I'm a fan of 123 batteries so most likely it'll be the ea1 just the blinky light might not be good for best carry

Hold the OFF button for 2 seconds and blinking stops.

GordoJones88

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
picture.php

Last edited:
moshow9

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I ordered the EC1 on Sunday and it arrived today while I was at work. I swapped the RCR123 from my Novatac into the EC1. Initially, I thought the series looked very ugly but the looks of EC1/EC2 grew on me. I guess it's because the body isn't too long nor to skinny compared to the size of the head.

Output on the RCR123 is bright, and it throws very well for it's size due to it's deep reflector. Of course, this has already been said by others but it is true of mine as well ;). The red led acts nicely for a beacon and as a lower output, secondary led.

Unfortunately, I think mine has a problem. When I got home I put in a primary cell to check out the lower output. The lower output appears to be all I can access. Pressing the mode button to cycle through the outputs causes a brief and ever so slight jump in output before it drops back down. Even a press and hold of the mode button while the light is on to put it into turbo has no effect. Strobe and S.O.S. work but dimly. The red beacon and constant on work fine. The primary cell itself is at 3.04v, and when I lock the light out electronically the EC1 flashes 3 times to signify 3 volts.

Anyone else experience this? Looks like this one may have to go back. :(

Last edited:
C

cynthiavivilee

Newly Enlightened
Where did you take the photos?
Wanna know more about TM15 and TM20.

GordoJones88

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered an EC1 yesterday.
Is the sticker really the switch, or is it just a covering for the switch?
Can I print off my own stickers and make custom buttons for my switch?

It's not really a sticker.
It more like a thin piece of flexible plastic.

Last edited:
importculture

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I received my AA and cr powered nitecores on Wednesday. Going gear is super awesome on their shipping I guess they're open on weekends. My lights were sent on a Sunday so I was very excited to hear that they'd arrive early. Thanks going gear! But on to my issue. I saw that it was mentioned that the explorer lights heat up and in fact both of mine also have this issue. Surprisingly in my situation it only seems to happen when the red light is left on. Saddened because the red light seems to be perfect in its output and would be awesome to use as a night light etc. haven't really tested the other output levels but from my current usage there seems no real issue with excessive heat from the other output modes. I would love more feedback on this possible issue. It kind of leaves me on the fence on whether to send them back or not. Thanks for any feedback or help

af112566

af112566

Newly Enlightened
i think i was the first to mention the heat issue with the red led and the higher levels.i am still dissapointed,it think otherwise these would be real nice lights.but for a sub 1 lumen led to heat up a light that much,,well its unacceptable.hope they work the bugs out.

biglights

biglights

Enlightened
I received my AA and cr powered nitecores on Wednesday. Going gear is super awesome on their shipping I guess they're open on weekends. My lights were sent on a Sunday so I was very excited to hear that they'd arrive early. Thanks going gear! But on to my issue. I saw that it was mentioned that the explorer lights heat up and in fact both of mine also have this issue. Surprisingly in my situation it only seems to happen when the red light is left on. Saddened because the red light seems to be perfect in its output and would be awesome to use as a night light etc. haven't really tested the other output levels but from my current usage there seems no real issue with excessive heat from the other output modes. I would love more feedback on this possible issue. It kind of leaves me on the fence on whether to send them back or not. Thanks for any feedback or help

I have the EC1, just got it today. No problem with mine heating up. It gets a little warn on high and turbo, but not worse than my other powerful small lights. Pretty neat little guy. :twothumbs

BIG45-70

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I've been playing with my EA1 now for a couple days and love it. I'm not experiencing any heat issues. The locater and battery indicator is fantastic. I also find the red LED is the perfect amount of light for a night light.

GordoJones88

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe some heat issues could be battery related.
If the battery is old, cheap, or been run down too much, or I don't know.
The battery itself may be heating up more than the light.

Last edited:
GordoJones88

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my AA and CR powered Nitecores on Wednesday.
In my situation it only seems to happen when the red light is left on.
From my current usage there seems no real issue with excessive heat from the other output modes.

On the EA1, are you using a 1.5v alkaline, nihm, lithium, or a 4.2v Li-Ion 14500 ?

Last edited:
DavidMB

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
Is the red light bright enough to navigate around a very dark house with night adjusted eyes?