NiteCore EZ123 and EZCR2 Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmm . . . .

Sounds like NiteCore still hasn't fixed things from the EZAA version. :sigh:

Oh, yes, i still LIKE my EZAA. :thumbsup:

But it does have a few "quirks", eh ?

:candle:

_

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I really like these EZ models myself but it seems like they could use a little refining to eliminate the quirks.They will probably be fine for average use but if they are used extensively I wonder if some damage could occur.

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for support everyone. :grouphug:

Yeah, it's typically pretty close to three-quarters of a turn. It also requires a fair amount of force to actually go into Hi - you won't be doing it by accident. But that resistance isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it reminds you not to overturn past Hi (and risk crushing a cell).

I find the EZ123 is incredibly small for its battery source (and still takes protected RCR fine) - but the EZCR2 is indeed a bit of a stand-out. Its tiny size is remarkable, and the interface and build is clearly designed to compete with the more expensive custom Nautilus and Aeon. Sort of the poor-man's mass-produced Aeon, from all appearances.

I read a review from someone on another site. He said the threads were very loose and actually when tightening you could push on the head and it would make the light go on. I ordered one from the Battery Junction because it looks like Christmas wiped out 4sevens there were a lot of things out of stock. Should the one from the Battery Junction be one that is past the original ones with problems as you mentioned in your review???????

So I now own Fenix PD20, Maratac AAA polished stainless, and Fenix EO1 in olive, simple single mode. I have coming the EZ123 by nitecore. I wanted to try the EZ123 compared to my PD20. At first I thought I needed all those things like strobe and SOS etc etc but I must say I am a man of simplicity. The EZ123 looked real nice so I thought I would give it a go. I really like the tripod threads a nice concept. I was looking for batteries for the CR2 but they did not seem as readily available as the CR123 batteries and I did not compare the cost. The run time and the brightness on the EZ123 was better also. But I do like large things im small packages. I still may give the CR2 version another look.

About the thread problem I read about. Was this one of the initial problems with the flashlight (EZ123)??? Should the one I ordered from the Battery Junction be past those problems. I must say though on that site that was the only person that complained about the threads all the others said theirs worked beautifully.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an EZCR2 neutral from 4 Sevens soon after they came out, and it has been living on my keychain ever since.

It almost never gets turned on, and I'm still on the same cell I started with.

The threads aren't the smoothest, but they aren't really bad, and the light is operable one handed. The anodizing is taking a beating. I thought HA would hold up better, but considering it rides around with a bunch of keys and maybe a knife clipped in there, too, it's grinding against a lot of metal all day long.

One thing I've been pleased to see. I've dropped it no less than half a dozen times from 3 -4' off the ground onto wood, tile, concrete, you name it, and I haven't had a single problem. It's a pretty tough little light.

I just now noticed that there is an R2 version, which looks to be insanely bright on "high" in the 123 model (even assuming NC is listing emitter lumens), so I might have to get one of those.

Does anyone know how the beam quality is on the R2s? I'm assuming it's an XR-E R2, not an XP-E, which NC is putting in it's D10/EX10 SP and NDI these days. I'm a little worried it will be ringy. (My neutral is ring-free, BTW).

bltkmt

Enlightened
I have been carrying my EZCR2 again over the past few weeks...this thing has the smoothest threads of any light I own. Fantastic little gem.

Latest posts