NITECORE HC50 565 Lm Headlamp REVIEW

svhunter

My hc50 seems to show absolutely no visible jump from high to turbo, after the battery is down to about 4v. Is this normal? Its shouldn't be heat related because its the same even after cooling completely and then restarting. Love the light, but if turbo is this lousy after the very top of the battery is gone, I would rather they have just left turbo out of the mode cycle. Running the light on Eagtac 3400s. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the armytek wizard ramps up to turbo even down to 3.2v or so. I'm only going to keep 1 light and am trying to convince myself to keep hc50 because of red leds but its output to me isn't what they claim on turbo. I understand that 1000 lumens on wizard is a lot more, but I would hope to be able to at least see some jump in the nitecore further down through the battery curve.

FlashLion

My hc50 seems to show absolutely no visible jump from high to turbo, after the battery is down to about 4v. Is this normal? Its shouldn't be heat related because its the same even after cooling completely and then restarting. Love the light, but if turbo is this lousy after the very top of the battery is gone, I would rather they have just left turbo out of the mode cycle. Running the light on Eagtac 3400s. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the armytek wizard ramps up to turbo even down to 3.2v or so. I'm only going to keep 1 light and am trying to convince myself to keep hc50 because of red leds but its output to me isn't what they claim on turbo. I understand that 1000 lumens on wizard is a lot more, but I would hope to be able to at least see some jump in the nitecore further down through the battery curve.
Hello
Nitecore HC50 has quite different(simpler) driver than the Armytek Wizard. HC50 regulates the output well when the voltage is above certain level.
If the voltage is low HC50 can't maintain the highest level and lowers it to the lower level,which is High mode. If the battery voltage is too low,the headlamp will lower and the High mode,but the lowest modes still can be used,with no unexpected cut-off.

Last edited:

svhunter

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm trying to do the impossible and get one light to do everything. So much fer that! At this point I'll probably keep the nitecore, especially at the price difference.

Charles L.

I bought this headlamp based on reviews from FlashLion and others on this forum. After owning it for a couple of weeks now, I can say overall it's been (so far) a surprisingly good choice for my needs.

The bad:
- As mentioned, the switch is a bit stiff and easily changes up one mode when switching on or off. With practice it is almost a non-issue, but not the ideal design.
- Lamp feels a tad heavier than others I've owned, and requires precise adjustment of the strap to feel comfortable for extended use (but then don't they all).
- I wish the strap didn't scream NITECORE in fluorescent yellow on all sides

The good:
- Five well spaced brightness settings
- Really bright on high and turbo! One reviewer measured turbo at higher than the claimed 565 lumens -- whatever it is, it's bright!
- Great floody beam with more than adequate throw for a headlamp
- Red LED's that are actually useful.
- Super comfortable to wear. No matter how nice a light, I won't wear it if it is uncomfortable. I've worn this headlamp for more than an hour at a time, still feels fine.

The non-issues:
- "Short" regulation time on turbo. First of all, if you need that many lumens for more than 30 minutes, you need a different kind of light. The High setting is plenty. Second, I deliberately ran this light on turbo for 45 minutes -- I couldn't notice the change in brightness until I turned the light back on.
- Glowing when off. For better or worse, mine does not do this.

I've purchased a few lights this year after a 4 year hiatus: Olight S20 L2, Nightcore SRT3, Zebralight SC600 II L2 (warm and cool white), and now this HC50. They're all good, but the HC50 is the most pleasant surprise of the bunch.

Last edited:

svhunter

I've put some more time on my second hc50 and really love it. The first one was returned because of issues. This one is awesome!!

cnyo

I have a HC50,it's my best headlight and edc I ever had.
HC50 use bang-bang rule as SC600 use PID rule to control the temperature.

Jelle-S

HC50 night shots;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jelle-s/10710499006
10710499006_662fcda83a_c.jpg

rlapporte

Hi. Would you mind sending me the link to the clamp as well? Thanks,
Rob

Hello
The tripod is normal camera tripod.
Here is just the clamp-

I bought it from one website for 4$.They call it Universal clamp mount. It is quite good quality for the price. I will PM you the website.

TheThor

Nice. I myself have got a HC50. It works very well during dark when I camp. Nitecore recently released the HC90. My friend has got one. It can charge batteries, works like a small charger. I envy him for that. haha

EggManDFW

I'd stay away from this light (HC50)... Broke after 3 ft fall

I have had this light for about 6 months. When it worked, I loved it. It was my go to light for everything from hunting, home repairs, car repairs, grilling, etc. Last week I was replacing my hot water heater and was using a folding table as a workbench. The HC50 was sitting on the table until I grabbed a wrench which snagged the head strap sending it to the concrete floor. I'd say it's 3 to 3.5ft high. It landed on its bezel slightly scratching the adonization. Well no more light out of it. Well, unless you count a flash when I strike it again my palm. That fall probably wouldn’t have taken out a lit incandescent bulb. I find this ridiculous and now hate the fact I own a Nitecore handheld light also. Maybe I should slip some pipe insulation around it before its too late...

I would hate to be out in the wilderness looking for a deer or something and have a branch snag it off of my head and down on a rock. I'd advise always carry a backup if you are carrying a Nitecore product or at least a HC50. Sorry to be a ranting hater but the light begged for it. I'd like to see a drop test rating on all of these new-fangled "high end" lights. I don’t care it if it has 20 more lumens than the next light or blinking this and that; just make a quality product that lasts.

Well, hope this helps you make a decision on a light purchase decision.

What manufacturer am I going to trust next for its replacement…?

FlashLion

Re: I'd stay away from this light (HC50)... Broke after 3 ft fall

Hello EggManDFW
Sorry to hear for your bad luck with the HC50.
The HC50 and any other flashlight should not fail so easily. It's also happening to me to drop some of my flashlights(not the HC50,yet),sometimes really hard and never had problems.
If there are no visible damages inside,maybe something has defected in your headlamp.Loose electric connection or something like that. What battery you use?
In any case contact the dealer and Nitecore for replacement.

funkychateau

Re: I'd stay away from this light (HC50)... Broke after 3 ft fall

Can anyone tell me how much the battery cap must be unscrewed to disconnect the light. It seems that floating board might maintain contact for quite a while.

It might be handy to only need to slightly loosen and re-tighten the cap in order to get the precise battery-voltage reading.

funkychateau

Does the switch cap also unscrew? I didn't see any pictures in this review with the switch cap off. If it is bonded, how do you replace the switch boot when it finally tears?

FlashLion

Can anyone tell me how much the battery cap must be unscrewed to disconnect the light. It seems that floating board might maintain contact for quite a while.

It might be handy to only need to slightly loosen and re-tighten the cap in order to get the precise battery-voltage reading.

Does the switch cap also unscrew? I didn't see any pictures in this review with the switch cap off. If it is bonded, how do you replace the switch boot when it finally tears?
The cap on my HC50 requires to turn it at about 40° (angle),to disconnect the power.
I can't unscrew the switch cap with normal/hand force. I don't know,it may have been glued. If someone has managed to unscrew it,or has some info,any input is welcome.

thedoc007

Supporter
Andrew and Amanda have a deal of the day on the HC50...$43 shipped. If anyone is looking to pick one up, this is the best price I have seen so far.

guthrie

I have a couple of questions for the owners of these. I'm looking for a headlamp with a neutral to warm tint, and a decent flood. So far the only other candidate is the Fenix HL30. The latter seems to have a good flood, but perhaps too much, and a decent tint. So I was wondering how this one goes with tint and flood?

FlashLion

I have a couple of questions for the owners of these. I'm looking for a headlamp with a neutral to warm tint, and a decent flood. So far the only other candidate is the Fenix HL30. The latter seems to have a good flood, but perhaps too much, and a decent tint. So I was wondering how this one goes with tint and flood?

Hello guthrie.
Maybe too late reply.I was waiting for people with both headlamps to comment...I have only the HC50. Its tint is nice,on the warmer side of cool white,but still it is a cool white light.
The beam is very floody.It is very rare to get so wide beam without mounting a diffusing cap.