NITECORE HC50 565 Lm Headlamp REVIEW

unknown001

Newly Enlightened
It's more and more difficult to resist this fantastic light; I think I'll be able to resist for another week or two, and then pick one up. :D

Thank you for the review!

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is definitely far more useful than other headlamps I've had in the past. The headband works well, and it has a very nice variety of levels. It's great for working on a computer that's hiding under a desk. ;)

dml24

Newly Enlightened
I have to question using an 18650 battery in a headlamp. Serious backpackers would have to carry extra C123s. Unless there is a solar charger for 18650s. Most popular headlamps, Fenix's line for example, use AA batteries in single, double and triple battery combinations. AA batteries are easier to find when in parks or off the beaten trail, and there are a number of AA chargers that run off solar panels. The Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit Solar Charger and the Powertraveller Powermonkey Extreme Solar Battery Charger are liked by many hunters, back packers and RV types.
I have found where anyone has tried charging 18650s off of a solar panel.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Hello zeeje.
I measured a few times my HC50,in the dark to see it when glows.
I measured with two different DMM and the average values are-
Without glowing the current draw is ~165 micro amps(0,165mA).
When glowing ~175 micro amps (0,175mA).
Such a small current requires very precise multimeter for measuring.My MM is not,so there's some difference between our measurements.
Looks like the LED is always in the standby circuit,just there's an electronic component(capacitor or coil) that keeps the voltage a little higher and the LED glows.But this is just my guess.It might be something different.

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
This is definitely far more useful than other headlamps I've had in the past. The headband works well, and it has a very nice variety of levels. It's great for working on a computer that's hiding under a desk. ;)
The flood beam is very useful for any type of indoor use,for repair work,etc.

StealthZ

Newly Enlightened
Used my HC50 every night for the last 3 weeks to walk the dog. Great combination of flood with a little bit of spot to light up the trail ahead. This weekend went on a caving trip in San Antonio. It was a 'wetsuit' cave, so lots of water - 2 hrs of swimming and 5 hrs of slogging through mud and water in a 3' tall passage. The light was dunked, dragged against walls, and banged into the ceiling. It worked like a champ and never missed a beat. Everyone was really impressed with the light output (I actually had to turn the light to low several times to keep from overpowering other people's lights and casting shadows in front of them) and were shocked by the small size. In tight quarters the lack of a rear battery pack with an absolute pleasure! So far it is my absolute favorite caving light. Oh, and I guess I am a lucky one because no LED glow in off position. FWIW I have used only 18650's in it - eagletac 2600 and Orbtronics 3400.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Used my HC50 every night for the last 3 weeks to walk the dog. Great combination of flood with a little bit of spot to light up the trail ahead. This weekend went on a caving trip in San Antonio. It was a 'wetsuit' cave, so lots of water - 2 hrs of swimming and 5 hrs of slogging through mud and water in a 3' tall passage. The light was dunked, dragged against walls, and banged into the ceiling. It worked like a champ and never missed a beat. Everyone was really impressed with the light output (I actually had to turn the light to low several times to keep from overpowering other people's lights and casting shadows in front of them) and were shocked by the small size. In tight quarters the lack of a rear battery pack with an absolute pleasure! So far it is my absolute favorite caving light. Oh, and I guess I am a lucky one because no LED glow in off position. FWIW I have used only 18650's in it - eagletac 2600 and Orbtronics 3400.
Thanks for sharing. It's great to know that HC50 performs well under really heavy usage.:thumbsup:

phenomenal review and photos!
Thank you tobrien.:)

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
good to see lights being used in different ways. i really need a head light for biking, im also thinking if i carry some zip ties that weigh nothing it can be used as a front/bar mount or rear post mount in red for emergencys quite easily.

SFxJura

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody!
Just a quick introduce. I am a clarinetist from Croatia who is in love with flashlights for some time. I enjoy reading reviews here and Cpf helped me many times to decide what to buy. Few days ago I ordered Nitecore Tm26 3800 lumen version and now I am thinking to order this one for night cycling.
This Universal clamp caught my eye so if somebody can please pm the site.
Thanks!
Nenad

FlashLion

Enlightened
Hi everybody!
Just a quick introduce. I am a clarinetist from Croatia who is in love with flashlights for some time. I enjoy reading reviews here and Cpf helped me many times to decide what to buy. Few days ago I ordered Nitecore Tm26 3800 lumen version and now I am thinking to order this one for night cycling.
This Universal clamp caught my eye so if somebody can please pm the site.
Thanks!
Nenad
Hello Nenad
I can't send you a PM because you have just one post here.I think you have to write two times more somewhere on the forum and then will be possible to send you a PM.
The clamp is good for stationary holding,I don't know how stable will be when cycling,but you can try it.

SFxJura

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I need it for stationary use for example on a stand when I play clarinet. When cycling I'll use it on the head.
1 more post needed :)
Can you maybe send it on my mail [email protected]
Thanks!