Nitecore p12 problems

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone I just bought a nitecore p12. I was so excited, put the batteries in and clicked the button all its does is flash real quick and turns off. I don't know what to do I can click the button multiple times and it does the same thing flash real quick then turns off. Batteries are fully charged, any advice, suggestion? Thanks

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
What batteries are you using? If using rechargeable protected cells, perhaps try primaries. Perhaps the energy draw is tripping the protective circuit. Have you tried bypassing the switch with a paper clip to rule out a switch problem? Good luck, let me know what happens...

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Iam tried two different 18650 nuon 2600mah batteries, bought two batteries and the flashlight today. I know their far from the best batteries but they charged fine on my nitecore d4. Would of thought they would at least power the flashlight up. Tried the paper clip trick and got the same quick flash as before. Like I wrote I bought it today and and probably will return tomorrow for another one, but it sucks I was really looking forward to trying it tonight read so many good reviews.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
spend the extra cash for any name brand 3400mah 18650 except for Fenix as the low wide button top on the Fenix 3400 and their similar cells doesnt work with Nitcores physical blocker preventing reverse installation. Have you checked the ring in the tail for tightness? Id personally return it and get a TN12 2014.

Last edited:

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Well I returned the light, got another p12 the new light will not work with the nuon batteries, I bought some energizer 123 and it powers up fine so I think the problem lies in the nuon batteries, Iam going to buy some keepPower 18650 3400mah batteries, do you think the keepPower will work with the p12? Thanks

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone I just bought a nitecore p12. I was so excited, put the batteries in and clicked the button all its does is flash real quick and turns off. I don't know what to do I can click the button multiple times and it does the same thing flash real quick then turns off. Batteries are fully charged, any advice, suggestion? Thanks

Well I returned the light, got another p12 the new light will not work with the nuon batteries, I bought some energizer 123 and it powers up fine so I think the problem lies in the nuon batteries, Iam going to buy some keepPower 18650 3400mah batteries, do you think the keepPower will work with the p12? Thanks

Take a breath! :)Is your charger okay? Is it terminating charge too soon? What does a multimeter say about the voltages of the supposedly charged batteries?

You're using the same charger, you've changed batteries, you've changed lights. I'd have a close eyeball on that charger. Might be terminating charge way too soon.

I always suggest Panasonic cells (button top and protected, unless there is a reason not to) unless you've got a very high drain light.

Sometimes, you must play "musical batteries" to find what a light likes.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
You must use small button top cells for most of the nitecore lights because of the physical reverse polarity protection system. If you have a look at nitecores own cell you can see it uses a small button top.

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Ok just charge the nuon batteries, charger shutoff at 4.20 volts checked batteries and they showed 4.16 volts, put batteries in the p12 and it did turn on for a second on high, then shut off again.Tried again and it would would work on low medium but turn off at high. I've charged my dads 18650 batteries a couple weeks ago and the charger charged them to 4.25 volts don't know brand of batteries, didn't check the his batterie voltage. Do you think the charger is faulty or is it the crappy nuon batteries?

Last edited:

swan

Banned
Ok just charge the nuon batteries, charger shutoff at 4.20 volts checked batteries and they showed 4.16 volts, put batteries in the p12 and it did turn on for a second on high, then shut off again.Tried again and it would would work on low medium but turn off at high. I've charged my dads 18650 batteries a couple weeks ago and the charger charged them to 4.25 volts don't know brand of batteries, didn't check the his batterie voltage. Do you think the charger is faulty or is it the crappy nuon batteries?
The Nuon cell is a re wrapped flat top samsung icr 26f, you need small button tops.

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Ok I just ordered keepPower 18650 3400mah ncr18650b protected batteries from illum.com these should work right?

swan

Banned
Ok I just ordered keepPower 18650 3400mah ncr18650b protected batteries from illum.com these should work right?
Yes, if you look at the black disc [polarity protection] in the head of the light where positive end of the cell goes this prevents a flat top from making proper connection or reverse polarity. Just as a side note the keepower/panasonic 3400 is a great cell and will take a bit longer to charge because of its capacity.

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
Thanks swan for answering my questions, I'd be up a creek without this forum!

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P12 to work well requires batteries with positive pole protruding (high)
I use on my P12 batteries KeepPower 2600 and KeepPower 2900 (work perfectly)