Nitecore (P12 & SRT5) vs Fenix PD35 & Others

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened
http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/...e-to-everyday-carry-gear-defensive-light-use/

Well, today I read this article and it has me searching for quite possibly another EDC light. I've been using my Quark QP2A and like it, but have been hating how often the strobe accidentally gets put on. So here I am, wanting a new one (it never ends).

So here is what I want:

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
Up to $200.
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category (Acceptable)
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
Critical Durability (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
I don’t care.
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)
Other (EDC means Carry)
Pocket/belt clip

I pasted what I was looking for, I don't think all criterion can be met but let's see how close we can get.

So, on the batteries, I am open to either using Eneloop's with backup lithium primaries, a 14500 cell with backup lithium primaries, or an 18650 cell with backup CR123 primaries. I think I would prefer to give 18650 with two CR123 lithiums as a backup a try.

I have grown to love "moonlight" mode. However, I want the light to carry in the dark and want instant "ultra". However, I also want it to easily be switched to "moonlight", preferably if I can do it without flashing "ultra" first.

I am contemplating the PD35 or the SRT5, but I am very open to suggestions.

Last edited:

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Outlook, New Light?

Contemplating the Nitecore P12, Nitecore SRT5, and the Fenix PD35.

Ruggedness, who owns it? Comparison to Surefire? I've abused my Surefires and they've held up quite well. Where is Eagletac in the mix?

I want instant "high" accessibility, and also quick/easy "moonlight" if possible. I'd like decent throw. What about 18650 cells? Are the 3400 cells that Nitecore markets well?

I don't know if it would be possible, but I think it would be a perfect UI if you had a light with a mode button and a forward clicky. If you click/press the clicky, it goes to ultra. if you hit the mode button it switches through all of the modes. However, if the light is off and you hit the mode button, it turns on moonlight and ramps up from there. Forward clicky = tactical on ultra, mode button = casual on moonlight. Anything resembling that out there?

Durability/ruggedness is my biggest concern, followed by 18650/2xCR123 compatibility. Would like 800+ true lumens simply because I have never owned a light like that before.

Please, input!

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Outlook, New Light?

I can't give you a direct comparison because the only one I own out of those is the P12 but if you look in the flashlight review section, there are several recent reviews and comparisons of the P12 and PD35. Not sure about the SRT5 as it wasn't on my list of lights I was interested in.

BTW, in the same category, you may also want to look at the Thrunite TN12 2014. There are some reviews of that one too in which the TN12, P12, and PD35 are directly compared to each other.

Chenery88

Newly Enlightened
I can say the SRT5 is a good choice...the rotary ring makes mode change simple. It will run on high for your 2 hours, lights up brightly over 100yds not a complete thrower but throws out lots of lumens so lights up a large chunk of field...goes nice and dim for a moonlight style which you can start it in thanks to the control ring. Lots of blinks modes again easy to find with the ring...don't need to remember a series of clicks or sub menus. It also has the red and blue which for my daughter is a good disco mode (but I do agree with reviews for most purposes not bright enough for real use) overall had this for a few weeks and love it nice size and works. If you want more throw n power the their SRT7 looks interesting but bit bigger....I am happy I have my SRT5 on my duty belt .... ;)