Nitecore SRT7 malfunction below 70 degrees F

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nitecore SRT7 malfunction below 70 degrees F

My light seems to have a defect as when the ambient temperature of a room drops below 70 F the SRT7 will not light. I can warm up the light in my hands and it will then work. When below 70 degree F it does not work, when above 70 degree F the SRT7 works as it should. I can heat the light up by running it and use it outdoors when it's colder but as soon as the temp drops it will not fire until warmed back up... The lights is in perfect condition and I have tried multiple batteries to see if that could be the problem but it is not.

Anyone notice this problem with their light. Started noticing a little flickering at first but now that the outside temperature has decreased I can repeat the problem very easily...

Sent Nitecore a service request to return.

Anyone notice this behavior with their light?

uilim

Newly Enlightened
My MH2C lights up at 60F so far thats the lowest temp Ive had it in.:thumbsup:

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I had a light that would go out during winter hikes. I'm trying to remembe which one it was. It was down to about 15F and I was out for quite a while and found that the light would not turn on. I was able to reproduce the problem consistently. That light went bye-bye.

Beckler

Enlightened
I'll have to cold soak mine in the car overnite and try it. Is it just the white LED or all of them that don't work? What about locator LED?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can reproduce problem easy. Below 70 f nothing works (all led and indicator). Warm it up to about 70 f or so and works perfectly. I can put it in fridge for a few minutes and it stops working, then warm it up in a pocket and it works perfectly. Tried multiple batteries and it does the same. Mine doesn't need to be cold for long periods of time (put in refrigerator for a few minutes) and it's a no go...

Haven't seen anyone else have this problem but doubt it's only one light!

Yagon

Newly Enlightened
Haven't seen anyone else have this problem but doubt it's only one light!

Yes , but not in a flashlight (no experience with flashlights) .
Sounds like a dry solder joint ('mericans call it a "cold solder" joint) .
Low temperature the solder has a crack all the way round the joint and is open circuit , when heated expansion pushes it closed and "makes" the circuit .

buds224

Enlightened
Either way, it's defective, I'd get an RMA/Warranty replacement ASAP. I just did a freezer test and mine is still fine (30mins; instant on and all modes available).

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore gave me an RMA. Shipped it back to China yesterday for $20.50, ouch!

Glad it's probably not a systemic problem and just a fluke with a soldier joint... Really gonna miss this light till she returns!

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
just for kicks, I'm in NY and its down to 30 degrees. Just got my srt7 a few days ago, but this thing is working fine, so good idea sending her back. I do like this light a lot. And that strobe...........

dave

dts71

Newly Enlightened
The issue you brought up make me want to test all of my flashlights at freezing temperatures.

ZR900

Newly Enlightened
Its been down to 23 at night here and I have had mine in coat pocket for at least an hour before I used it...no problems at all..the more I use this light the more I like it!!!

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the SRT7 back in the mail today from China. Looks like they decided just to replace the light and not try and fix it (which I'm glad!).

Love this light! :thumbsup:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serves me right! I found an Amazon mis-price deal (CPF thread that several members got in on) for $45 per SRT7.

It was past the Amazon dealers return date and they advised to contact Nitecore. $20.50 to ship it to China with a RMA authorization #. Light was ready 3 weeks earlier but Nitecore wouldn't send it out without re-confirming address (although address was in return package and all email correspondence). I did ask to have one shipped locally and they declined. Really like this light otherwise probably would have chalked it up to a loss. Like most of you I have backups otherwise I may have been a little more antsy!

Not an edc light for me (zebraligh sc) but definitely a go to light around the house or outings in the vehicle. Very versatile tool here!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for the info. I was just wondering if Nitecore had agreements with their local distributors to handle repairs and replacements. If you had to ship it to China, obviously they don't have such agreements or at least not yet! I would have preferred otherwise as I just bought a few Nitecore lights myself. Luckily so far only had minor problems with the MT1A right out of the so I could get it replaced by the dealer in no time.

Last edited: