Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) Prototype Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Thanks for another excellent review. I'm looking forward to this little flood bomb!

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
I'm really excited about this light, but the 3.5 minute step down and the huge gap between 5k and sub 1k lumens is a definite minus. How about a 2-3k level in between and making the drop down temperature dependent instead of timed? A lanyard attachment would be nice too.

Also, I think either a physical lock out and either a memory or cycling from low to high instead of the other way around would be better both for preserving night vision and in case the light were accidentally turned on in a back pack, etc.

I'm wondering too if with this kind of current draw the batteries you use could make a big difference in maximum output and performance?

davpet

Newly Enlightened
I'm really excited about this light, but the 3.5 minute step down and the huge gap between 5k and sub 1k lumens is a definite minus.

There is an other review of an engineering sample of this light on a german site. According to that review their sample steps down from high after 10 minutes.

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/t...eries-nova-mm15-2-x-mt-g2-5233-lumen-max.html

The particular part in german: Ja, richtig gelesen: Der step down der Niwalker MiniMax Nova schlägt nicht schon nach zwei oder drei Minuten zu, sondern tatsächlich erst nach 10 Minuten. Bis dahin wird das kleine Kraftpaket zwar ziemlich heiß (was bei dieser Leistung auch nicht weiter verwunderlich ist), aber dieser Zeitraum ist meiner Meinung nach schon recht ordentlich.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how they deal with the heat - my s6330 and eagletac mtg2 lights both become uncomfortably hot after a couple of minutes, can't imagine what this light is like after 10 minutes pumping out 5000 lumens.

davpet

Newly Enlightened
Yes, and the S6330 has thermal regulation, so it will never get dangerously hot. Could it be that the XM-ls generate more heat than the MT-G2s?

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not based on my experience. I mean yes they generate a ton of heat, but based on my experience with MTG2's the difference vs xml's is not drastic, both produce heat when driven hard.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
There is an other review of an engineering sample of this light on a german site. According to that review their sample steps down from high after 10 minutes.
That is what the dealer review there seems to say (at least according to Google Translate, as I don't speak German). :) But note there weren't any output/runtime tests shown, so it's hard to know the details. These are pre-release samples, so it's certainly possible Niwalker altered the circuit on that sample.

I suspect Niwalker will send me a sample of the final version, which I will directly compare as before. No idea as to timelines, though.

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I suspect Niwalker will send me a sample of the final version, which I will directly compare as before. No idea as to timelines, though.

Hurry up Niwalker:D i couldnt wait for your review:cool: this light really does appeal to me being so compact .I wonder if any plans a different version/s,maybe an led with a smooth,deeper reflector for throw along side the shallow for flood...........

Last edited:

Saquavin

Newly Enlightened
So much power in such mall package look awesome. I'm new to ledlight but I've never seen this flood.

Have we got an idea on the price ? Even very approximative ?

Yawningdog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review, selfbuilt!
While I agree with many of the suggestions for improvement above (with the exception of making it more throwy) , I would pre-order one of these, as is. I missed out on the sc6330 and lust for a powerful flood-only light just like this one.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Supporter
As usual, great review. Thanks.
Nice little light. I have been using a TM26 for a while. After being spoiled by the light's digital readout of voltage/lumens/remaining time/%battery, I would like to have this in all of my lights. A light with anything less is incomplete. You should, at least, have something like the Zebralight headlamps have, that flash up to 4 times to indicate % remaining, or the Nitecore HT50 headlamp, that flashes the voltage indication. If this is a ground up design, I think they should start with this in mind.
Thanks again for all of your great reviews.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be soon, they have been implementing a number of updates in both user interface and brightness level settings in response to feedback both directly and from observing comments.

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
The following changes will occur:

- temperature controlled stepdown instead time controlled stepdown
- new mode with 2000lm
- from low to high with mode memory
- lockout available
- instant turbo out of standby

AngryDaddyBird

Newly Enlightened
I will buy two of these! Anyone have an ETA?

As for feedback.
Make an XM-L2 version and offer a choice of Cool or Neutral tints
I hope to see voltage meter/ locator beacon of some sort like nitecore or zebralight from the lighted switch/button.
Please include a heavy duty Holster.
Maybe rib the head like mini cooling fins for more surface area to aid in cooling might help??
Stainless steel smooth bezel??
i hope to see a moonlight mode under 1 lumen and a low mode under 30.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, Niwalker is planning to send me a new version for testing. I don't have an ETA yet, but this is likely to be the near-final version. I will try to process it as quickly as I can upon arrival.

hikingman

Enlightened
I know I'm late (and a $1 short probably) to the discussion, as likely many parameters have already been set in stone. But as a hiker who really hikes a lot, I'm praying that this light will be the flooder of flooders - and I could care less if it threw worth a darn. To keep this in perspective, I own a Deft-X, a TN31, and Eagletac MX25L2 Turbo (and some "smaller" throwers). So much for throwers. I use 'em and like 'em. BUT it is about time we had a bright light (with settings all the way down to dim) that served our peripheral vision ideally. As a hiker, particularly in forested conditions, I find most lights simply do not light up the periphery of my view as much as I would like. I don't NEED 50+ yards of throw to walk in comfortably. Trails I walk on are often uneven in nature or wet, so I want to see details right before me and to the sides really well, picking the brightness level that works best. In places that may have unsavory characters around (city streets), I like that 5,200 lumen level for that!

Admittedly, I am referring to walking conditions that I know to be reasonably safe and without a need to spot grizzly bears or mountain lions, etc.

Some may respond, saying use a headlamp. I have a few and do use them because the beams are often adequate for what I need; but I just don't like their feel and it's hard to wear rain gear with them and the light moves where my head moves which often is not what I want.

Finally, I don't venture far with just one light anyway. Failure is the logical reason; I always want a backup and that would likely be one of my throwers. I have a diffuser for my TN31, which turns it into a wonderful hiking light, but my guess is the MiniMax would perform even better for the close range stuff. I certainly intend to give it a try if the shipping version has some improvements others and Selfbuilt have covered. His indoor shot with the MiniMax had the entire room very well lit, more so than other lights I've seen.

Dave

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm late (and a $1 short probably) to the discussion, as likely many parameters have already been set in stone. But as a hiker who really hikes a lot, I'm praying that this light will be the flooder of flooders - and I could care less if it threw worth a darn. To keep this in perspective, I own a Deft-X, a TN31, and Eagletac MX25L2 Turbo (and some "smaller" throwers). So much for throwers. I use 'em and like 'em. BUT it is about time we had a bright light (with settings all the way down to dim) that served our peripheral vision ideally. As a hiker, particularly in forested conditions, I find most lights simply do not light up the periphery of my view as much as I would like. I don't NEED 50+ yards of throw to walk in comfortably. Trails I walk on are often uneven in nature or wet, so I want to see details right before me and to the sides really well, picking the brightness level that works best. In places that may have unsavory characters around (city streets), I like that 5,200 lumen level for that!

Admittedly, I am referring to walking conditions that I know to be reasonably safe and without a need to spot grizzly bears or mountain lions, etc.

Some may respond, saying use a headlamp. I have a few and do use them because the beams are often adequate for what I need; but I just don't like their feel and it's hard to wear rain gear with them and the light moves where my head moves which often is not what I want.

Finally, I don't venture far with just one light anyway. Failure is the logical reason; I always want a backup and that would likely be one of my throwers. I have a diffuser for my TN31, which turns it into a wonderful hiking light, but my guess is the MiniMax would perform even better for the close range stuff. I certainly intend to give it a try if the shipping version has some improvements others and Selfbuilt have covered. His indoor shot with the MiniMax had the entire room very well lit, more so than other lights I've seen.

Dave
Excellent points Dave. Hiking with a thrower is pretty frustrating. The hot spot will bounce around with your body, that and your view is similar to viewing your surroundings through a glass coke bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts