Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) Prototype Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you 100% there is a lot to be said for economy of size with lights. Where I think we do have a disconnect, is that the MiniMax is not that small.

I hope Selfbuilt doesn't mind, I overlaid roughly what the S6330 would look like over the minimax in red;

Minimax048_zpsdabd1569.jpg

The head is about the same size yes, but the body of the light is much slimmer (having to only accommodate 3 batteries vs 4) and it's already longer than the S6330. An extra centimeter, or even 15mm of length will not make the light feel that much bigger, but could work to permit changing around the beam profile just a bit, to make it more usable at lower power levels.
Thanks for the overlay. The s6330 occupies a volume of approximately 180ml(submerged it myself).

Another point is a lights girth. The longer one walks with a light, the more noticeable the girth becomes in your hand. I am beginning to feel that for those wishing to do outdoor trekking, maybe a single or double 26650 light, with batteries positioned lengthwise, would be more comfortable over the long haul.

hikingman

Enlightened
Excellent points Dave. Hiking with a thrower is pretty frustrating. The hot spot will bounce around with your body, that and your view is similar to viewing your surroundings through a glass coke bottle.

Thanks for the kinds words. One thing I didn't say about the peripheral vision bit is that it isn't completely about what you see or don't see as much as it is a "comfort thing". That needs explanation: Walking down a sidewalk in the day, you obviously see what's before you on the sidewalk but also everything to both sides of the walkway. Putting aside aspects of safety or potential dangers for a moment, as you walk down the sidewalk, you NEED to see what's in front of you absolutely, but it is comforting to know what is on each side of you as well, even though those objects are NOT in your way.

Now translate that to walking in the dark: Once again, absolutely you need to know what is right in front of you to walk safely. But I bet most people are further "comforted" by knowing what is to each side of them. That is why you will see someone walking at night, often swinging the light to each side in order to take in that periphery that the light, pointed straight ahead, does not cover. That tunnel look at night just isn't comfortable, even if there is nothing "out there" that you really need to see. So walking for me is an "experience" which my flashlights should enhance. And, just as you seem to know too, a light covering your peripheral vision will make the walk more enjoyable.

Thanks for the overlay. The s6330 occupies a volume of approximately 180ml(submerged it myself).

Another point is a lights girth. The longer one walks with a light, the more noticeable the girth becomes in your hand. I am beginning to feel that for those wishing to do outdoor trekking, maybe a single or double 26650 light, with batteries positioned lengthwise, would be more comfortable over the long haul.

You raise a very important point: how comfortable is a light to hold. Walking any longer than a half hour for me begins to take its toll on my wrists and the flashlight's girth and weight are important. The girth of the MiniMax is greater than I would like, but is partially offset by the light weight. My Eagletac MX25L2 "thrower" is heavy but its 38mm diameter is narrow enough to let my hand carry it comfortably for long stretches. My Fenix RC40's 52mm diameter is too much, so I have devised a custom lanyard that allows my wrist to loosely support it (It is also a very heavy light - the lanyard helps a lot).

As an aside, I will sometimes carry two lights of similar weight - one in each hand - and use them as exercise tools, swinging my arms around in circles at moments when I can see adequately without them switched on. But back to subject of comfort, the MiniMax is too wide to be the best type of walking light, and almost too heavy too because of 4 batteries.

Dave

Last edited:

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
final version peak beam intensity will be ca. 25.000cd

Last edited:

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
I have no direct experience with Niwalker products, but what I think is really commendable is the fact that they are sending engineering samples of their new model not just once, but twice to a reliable independent reviewer for evaluation, and inviting user input before just throwing it out on the market. I wish more manufacturers would do that.

I really want this light, but I'm reluctant to order it direct from China. Is anybody familiar with reliable vendors in the U.S. that carry Niwalker flashlights?

stona

Newly Enlightened
I saw that going gear had the niwalker vostro lights

I have no direct experience with Niwalker products, but what I think is really commendable is the fact that they are sending engineering samples of their new model not just once, but twice to a reliable independent reviewer for evaluation, and inviting user input before just throwing it out on the market. I wish more manufacturers would do that.

I really want this light, but I'm reluctant to order it direct from China. Is anybody familiar with reliable vendors in the U.S. that carry Niwalker flashlights?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, Niwalker is sending me a new revised sample to test. Again, this is not going to be absolute final version, but it should be close. I will try to get the comparison done as quickly as I can, once I receive it.

Saquavin

Newly Enlightened
FYI, Niwalker is sending me a new revised sample to test. Again, this is not going to be absolute final version, but it should be close. I will try to get the comparison done as quickly as I can, once I receive it.

Can't wait !

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update selfbuilt:D ,what concerns me a little though is the time its taking to get out there.The reason behind this is other companies(ending in fire) could copy to an extent the ideas and be on the "shelf" within a week.Not saying anything wrong with perfecting a light,in fact its awesome sending a revised sample as it all helps to get the production version hopefully above and beyond expectations.Just also think it gives other companies an advantage too for producing similar style lights.......just my thoughts thats all.

Really cant wait for the end product:D

Dubois

Enlightened
Thanks for the update selfbuilt:D ,what concerns me a little though is the time its taking to get out there.The reason behind this is other companies(ending in fire) could copy to an extent the ideas and be on the "shelf" within a week.Not saying anything wrong with perfecting a light,in fact its awesome sending a revised sample as it all helps to get the production version hopefully above and beyond expectations.Just also think it gives other companies an advantage too for producing similar style lights.......just my thoughts thats all.

Really cant wait for the end product:D

I wouldn't worry too much - Niwalker have a good track record of getting things right, rather than simply getting things out. Any *fire copies will be pale imitations indeed, and won't be comparable to the real thing.

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Man, I'm waiting on this one and the Supbeam X60vn. Looks like they both might be ready about the same time now. I hope they don't set the price too high on the Minimax. It's almost like being hooked on drugs sometimes with all these flashlights!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I have received the second prototype, and am currently in testing. I expect to have the full review up by early next week.

For those sending me e-mails and PMs on this light - as per my usual policy, I won't be releasing info privately or piecemeal during testing. Everything will be posted next week. :wave:

EDIT: The revised prototype review is now up: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380667

Please use that thread for any ongoing discussions.

Last edited:

metalhead69

Enlightened
Re: Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) Prototype #1 Review: RUNTIME, BEAMS

I can't wait!!! This will be my next light if selfbuilt approved of course. :D

MattSPL

Enlightened
Re: Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) Prototype #1 Review: RUNTIME, BEAMS

The revised light looks even better, especially the addition of the handle. Thanks for the review :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.