Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) REVISED Prototype Review: RUNTIMES+

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmonroe

Newly Enlightened
I got my Niwalker MM15 last night and wanted to post some thoughts and ask a question or two.

0) My first impression of the light is that it is very nice and seems well built. The packaging, box and whatnot are well done. It is very compact, feels great, looks great and is extremely bright. It puts out a wall of light. The only light that I have that has comparable light output is my Lupine Betty R14 that I use for cycling.

1) Basically the MM15 is in "standby mode" or "locked out". You can push the control button three-times quickly and it basically completely turns it off. Three-more quick pushes and it comes back alive in stand-by mode.

When it is in standby mode, the green control button will flash every five or so seconds. It is a freaking bright green flash though. So bright that I could not leave it in standby mode by the bed last night. I turned it completely off via the "lockout" mode and that turned off the green flashing of the control button.

Now, to use the light in lockout-mode, you have to do the quick-three-click to get the light out of lockout, the light then flashes twice to let you know this has happened, then you have to press the control button again to turn it on. Not exactly what you want to have to do, or try to remember, to turn on your flashlight if you think an intruder is in the house if you are awakened.

2) From a tactical/stealth perspective, if you are walking around at night with the light off but in standby mode, the flashing green light will let the whole world know where you are. You can try to put your thumb over the flashing control button in an attempt to cover it. Again, you can put it in lock-mode to stop the flashing green control button, but getting light back on will be slower and it will do the 2-flash alert which might not be what you want in a tactical situation.

3) If you can deal with the bright constantly flashing green control button, standby mode is the way to leave the light in a ready state for quick use. I wonder how much power drain that green light will use over weeks or months.

In summary, I like the light but the flashing green control button is a problem for me. It is a issue when simply sitting on the table at night or if being used in a tactical sense. You *can* turn it off by doing the full lockout-mode but then turning the light back on is more difficult and it does the two-flash thing letting you know it is back in standby mode which could be a huge problem in tactical situation.

Does anyone know of a way to have it in standby mode and disable the continuous flashing green control button?

Mark

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Congrats on the light mark,i dont personally,other option would be to cover it up with something but it does turn red to warn cells are low.

If your not bothered about the red warning, there is the option of using some matte paint and colouring the button in with a fine brush................dont know if would work etc just a thought if say tape is not ideal.Trouble is its not a tactical light,its a flood monster,sorry cant help other than that.

Or have it under something(bed)so can grab it easy and no green flashing distraction at night

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I unscrewed the switch and put black tape under there to block out ~99% of the green light :)

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I unscrewed the switch and put black tape under there to block out ~99% of the green light :)

Great idea ,was not aware that you could unscrew the switch,great tip:twothumbs

I do like my bright green N though:D no stealth ninja mall stuff for me :laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
If I can find a dealer/seller here in my country (or at least in the EU), it will be very tempting :grin2:

Of all the lights i have,especially vinh lights i have been over the moon..........twice.

No regrets at all,the mm15 be it a vn or not imo is just a must buy,its an amazing light and thats coming from tk75vn /tn35vn and tk61vn(to name just 3 high powered lights)........its just so special in its own mini way.Very nice size/feel/build,feels/looks expensive and not cheap,and obviously the flood is very useful.Iirc you did a pic of the tk35ue(could be wrong as my memory last the same time as turbo on the mm15vn:laughing: ) so for walking its just as good as it gets,light up the field,dogs will think its day time...........but your hand may feel like an oven :laughing:

BUY BUY BUY:p

Have you considered a vn light,i know your customs can be a pita though..........just a thought:twothumbs

TRK

Newly Enlightened
Is the handle removable on the final production version? I'm assuming the final production version is the one without the two screws on either side of the activation button - is that correct? Thanks!

kj2

Flashaholic
Of all the lights i have,especially vinh lights i have been over the moon..........twice.

No regrets at all,the mm15 be it a vn or not imo is just a must buy,its an amazing light and thats coming from tk75vn /tn35vn and tk61vn(to name just 3 high powered lights)........its just so special in its own mini way.Very nice size/feel/build,feels/looks expensive and not cheap,and obviously the flood is very useful.Iirc you did a pic of the tk35ue(could be wrong as my memory last the same time as turbo on the mm15vn:laughing: ) so for walking its just as good as it gets,light up the field,dogs will think its day time...........but your hand may feel like an oven :laughing:
BUY BUY BUY:p
Have you considered a vn light,i know your customs can be a pita though..........just a thought:twothumbs
A pic of the TK35UE?? Man, I did a whole review :laughing:
I know Vn lights are cool, but do think it's a hype at the moment. Maybe I'll get a custom someday, but not for now.
I've suggested Niwalker to a local flashlight-dealer here. So if they start selling them, I'll visit them right away :D

kj2

Flashaholic
Is the handle removable on the final production version? I'm assuming the final production version is the one without the two screws on either side of the activation button - is that correct? Thanks!
" Final version changes, according to Niwalker:
  • Change the way to mount the handle and raise the handle (there won't be two empty space when handle is not installed) "

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Yes as above ,just done a quick pic for you,not best as .......well quick :laughing: and on phone

No screws as in original version,now out of sight.............almost,uses small screws and as kj2 said,its raised.Not even fitted it,dont like,not right in looks and feel for me.I think its far better to hold light as you would a tiny monster(by the body) fits perfect.The handle could allow light you to run it too hot without knowing.Best way is by hand to judge temp,once you know when warm is getting towards very warm/hot then step down.With handle you could be relying on the step down...........just a thought

Quicky picy

as can see now smaller and out of the way

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
A pic of the TK35UE?? Man, I did a whole review :laughing:
I know Vn lights are cool, but do think it's a hype at the moment. Maybe I'll get a custom someday, but not for now.
I've suggested Niwalker to a local flashlight-dealer here. So if they start selling them, I'll visit them right away :D

Yes and as always superb reviews:twothumbs i just recall a picture of a field or "front garden" :laughing: it might have been another member,IIRC your showed some garden pics,well admittedly the tk35ue looks superb ,i guess it would be like having 2 of them with the power of 3 but more floody.

Good thing with vinh as you know his service is awesome,also he does compensate mods by beefing components up too and backs his work up.........no 6 weeks + wait as i have read with some fenix warranties. But completely respect your views/opinions as modded is not for everyone.I think the stage 0 is a great option as its tweaks for heat sinking and carrier tweaks,so no output changes,just better components/materials inside.

Either way a teaser pic/s(i just struggle posting 1 pic :laughing: ),least i could do for waffling on

tiny max and mini monster:sick2: :laughing:

Next to the tk51

Look forward to your pro pics...............:whistle:

mmonroe

Newly Enlightened

Would you mind sharing details on how to unscrew the switch? I figure I would be smart for once and ask before I start ripping into it. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi all, the review of the MM15 shipping version is almost done - I hope to have it up in a few days.

I wonder how much power drain that green light will use over weeks or months.
The final shipping version has the same standby flash every 4 secs. I provided current measures in the "Standby Drain" section of this review, which are equally applicable to the shipping version. See that section for more details.

Yes, this is a possibility. For those who do no want to open up the switch, something I use on a lot my home electronics with overly bright LED indicators are the removable Light Dims stickers. Usually, a single application of the original strength ones (~70% block) does the trick for most things. For the MM15, I suspect you would want to double-up. Note that the complete block ones (100%) do indeed completely block any trace of the indicator on the MM15.

They are available from a few retailers, but I've ordered directly from the manufacturer and have gotten them fairly quickly (see link above).

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Hi all, the review of the MM15 shipping version is almost done - I hope to have it up in a few days.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::party::party::party::hitit::hitit::D

Guess that pretty much sums up my feelings sir selfbuilt:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.