Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) SHIPPING Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS+

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Yes i found same,with mine being an mm15vn its only had IMR cells in it,still catches though after a while but not to the degree of the above pics..............certainly needs addressing or Niwalker will have a lot of complaints down the line.

P1X4R i would put a small bit of electrical tape,just enough to go around once or twice(1") then will protect better and save checking it every time you remove cells..........just a thought:thumbsup:

plata0190

Enlightened
Hey guys, this wear was not diffucult to see. I noticed that 2 pcb screws are missing. I'm going to teturn the flashlight back and wait the next upgrade. If nothing will released, I will buy the same or will wait other brands with dual MT-G2 ;)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to say that I've been using mine with protected 18650s (mainly Xtar 2600mah 18700s actually) and have had no issue at all with the central pillar despite multiple battery changes. So I don't think it's such a consistent problem as it may seem.

plata0190

Enlightened
Niwalker confirmed they have released an upgraded version in the new batches, so I would order the new batch from dealer in germany.
This liht is pretty adorable :)

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I emailed Niwalker about the issue and linked here,hopefully they "might" send the part/carrier to owners.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I recieved my Niwalker MM15. The amount of flood and OTF output is unbelievable for a light this size. I think it will compliment nicely with the FF4.

I have noticed the battery carrier middle post is being scratched when I insert Protected cells in it. It must be done very carefully to avoid that. It seems to be made of a soft/rubberized plastic, most likely hollow. With shorter, unprotected, button-top Panasonic 3400mAh, there wasn't any problem. Look at the the photo below:

With longer cells, it needs more spring compression to get the battery inside, hence a greater angle of insertion is required. Eagletac 3400mAh protected 18650 being used, this cell is almost 70mm long.
2vujatf.jpg

An effective, possibly permanent, no-cost solution: :naughty:
dlrwae.png

Yeah, that's a piece of straw.

Last edited:

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened
haha, that's genius. :D

btw, be careful taking them out. you might scratch the batteries. i fold a small piece of paper to help protect. i'm loving this light despite this flaw.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
Shame this light isn't constant output. I find the direct-drive type of LED lights kind of annoying, as I am always second guessing whether or not I am getting X amount of lumens and wondering if the output is dropping or if it's just my eyes. I would rather be 100% certain that I am getting X amount of lumens consistently for a set-in-concert amount of time based on the mode I am in and the capacity of my batteries.

Direct-drive is the way of the past (ie incandescent lights). I prefer my LED light output to be controlled and maintained at the lumen level advertised until the cells cannot handle it anymore, then it either noticeably drops to a lower level or just cuts the light off. I HATE when the light tapers down in brightness. Runtime efficiency means nothing when the lumen output is gradually dropping seconds after you turn it on. If I buy a LED light and it says (for example) 1500 lumens for 2 hours on a 3400mAh battery, I expect to get ~1500 lumens for 2 hours on that battery, not 1500 lumens for 5 minuets then a slow taper to zero lumens for 1 hour and 55 minuets. It is borderline false advertising.

This direct-drive stuff seems to be a trend with the MT-G2 lights, which I find unsettling. My Solarforce K3 does the same thing, and I really do not like it at all. I hate having to constantly worry about the voltage of my batteries to get 100% guaranteed output at a certain mode, it feels like we are back in the 90's with incandescent bulbs. I want to be able to switch to a mode and know I am getting a defined constant light output, regardless of my batteries voltage (unless they are dead or near dead of course).

leggera16

Newly Enlightened
Hey I just picked up one of these from hkequipment(ebay) and ran it on cgr18650cg (5amps max rated i think). Doesnt look quite as impressive as I had hoped but the build quality seems worth the money. Perfect tint too.

Would it be worth me getting some ncr18650PF (10a) hybrids for a bit more punch or is there better options for £24.60. Ie if I dont need more amps than Iv tried I could get higher mah cells instead. My aim is to raise the l5 mode like in the graphs when selfbuild used 3100 cells over aw's. I thought aw's might be imr or something high drain but 3100 cells look better all round on the output graphs and runtime?

*Just offered on some 3400mah ncr18650b's so waiting on his reply. Cheers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151333325475?_trksid=p2059216.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-GENUINE...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item5403c1c353

*Did a 40 min walk in the country tonight in two halves with 30 mins rest in between. Used 775mah from my batteries. I used turbo around 5 times for 60 seconds max and mostly l4-l5. The last ten minutes it seemed to get warmer than on the way out and the red led came on while on turbo. I guess my batteries suck as I wasnt even halfway into their tested mah.

I love the beam but people in a 130 degree angle to me where not so impressed including a police officer driving and two other guys who were pissed how pathetic their torches looked. The guys were on a road at a 90 degree angle to my beam and 100ft away and all i heard was feck me and owww. As I suspected when its on any higher than l2-l3 you have to point it at your toes if you dont want to blind a car driver. This kind of negates why I wanted it as I hoped for a torch that lights my way not illuminates a bird on a tree 5 miles away.

Maybe I can knock up a rubber boot to block the very outer edge of spill that is pissing people off.

Anyway I sound negative but this torch feels good, lights up a field, didnt seem to use much juice from my aging batteries. It fits in the rear pocket of my skinny jeans plus I get on well with the button and ui. I love the green illumination so I can find the button to turn my hand heater down :)

Got bored of spending hours charging 4 single cells only to know the torch can drain them in a month "locked out" or not so improvised a mechanical lockout. I may redo it when I have better materials but it seems to work well. I wanted to use a thin disc of tin and some silicone to stick it to the inside of the can but dont have any right now. The flex in the silicone would even out the pressure between the two contacts.

I cut one of the electrodes from a battery point and added a lump of solder on top of the end plate. Then added two thin washers to the center electrode. I took the anodising off the inside of the battery can and now it uses that for total lock out.
20140704_213649_zpse65b4aa7.jpg
As you can see the center post is integral to the circuit and is metal. I insert my cells holding the middle with my thumb and middle finger and pushing down with my index finger. This controls the direction of force and hasnt damaged my paper thin battery wraps or post yet (Iv just put cellotape on just incase).

Last edited:

plata0190

Enlightened
Hey, finally Niwalker sent a new revision out: about 5 days ago Niwalker released a new batch with here some upgrades.
- Battery carrier has been moved more out of the body and to make the cup closing, they left out PCB plastic protector.
At least now is more easy inserction of batteries and they won't gone scratched.
- A new lanyard is available in the bundle
- Holster is changed: now the MM15 fits in it, no matter if the handle is installed or not
- Brightness sequence continue from the last you used, instead starting at the level1
- Now when pressing the power button in turbo mode, the flashlight goes into normal mode, instead to turn off.
I hope I was usefull Now Iis time to order it!! :)

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=650&t=3981177

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing here from users who receive the new version. The updated build and user interface sound good. :wave:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Well i decided to put a straw over the centre tube(not latest edition). Removed end hex screws,then noticed the sleeve will come off to reveal a metal post,so not hollow after all:) BUT potentially a short if battery wrap wears through and post,so imo better to be safe than :poof:

Yeh yeh i had no black straws:ohgeez: but hey,its not on show :laughing:

Now what i did notice,when fitting the + end,it flashed green then went red:eek: ,loosened and turned another 1/4 turn,same again:eek: i am thinking "what have i done:(" but turned another 1/4 and fine. Must have to be lined up so if removed either mark or take not of when its come off with the + on top.

leggera16

Newly Enlightened
I have the new stuff yay. I like the UI so far. I do have a small black fleck in the end of one of the leds. Pretty much on the cross point of the smaller dies so hopefully wont be an issue with heat or something. I always wonder if il get the dodgiest torch on a "best offer" on ebay as thats what I would do ha ha.

Physical lockout is still working for me and have some sony us18650nc1 2900mah (only $6 each) to see if the're any brighter than my old laptop pulls. Flat tops are a good fit so far and looks like it will make a wider contact than buttons anyway so Il stick with flats.

If your gonna take something apart always take a pic like this, just incase anyone needs it I expect its the same layout regardless of version.
20140704_170606_zpsd852c106.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Yes a good idea,and its something i normally do................normally :laughing: I did not notice the + at 1st but removed it and put at side to refit same way..................except i moved the body around:whistle:

Got there in the end,still it marks the vtc5 cells easy on the head part:sigh: just not a good design,the improved idea of it coming out more certainly sounds better............shame they did not get it right 1st time.............

leggera16

Newly Enlightened
Did I read somewhere that niwalker may be happy to send you the upgraded parts if you ask/complain. Maybe I dreamt it lol worth asking though if it isnt functioning perfectly

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I sent an email a while back,might be in these posts when I said I sent it,no reply....

Mine is working fine though,no issues,it was about the carrier side and wear. Since I have had a closer look it's just a thin plastic/rubber pipe with steel behind so not as weak as 1st thought. The straw will do to prevent any wear so :) For now

It would be better if they supplied a proper cover for the post or upgraded parts.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
So what i'm missing here, 5 hours + @2000 lumens?? how is that even possible?

Or even 5000+ for 2 hours??

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So what i'm missing here, 5 hours + @2000 lumens?? how is that even possible?
Or even 5000+ for 2 hours??
No, it's 2000 lumens for 2+ hours (on the 2200mAh 18650 batteries used here). The 5000 lumen Turbo mode steps down after a few mins to the lower 2000 level (hence the longer runtime). The 5 hours spec for the 2000 lumen level was wrong, as it was based on a calibration scale error in my earlier prototype testing. The runtime graphs in this review of the shipping version are accurate.