Niwalker Vostro BK-FA01 (XM-L2) BK-FA02 (MT-G2) 4x18650 FINAL SHIPPING Review: BEAMS+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Bottom line: the Vostro was not designed to be locked out. Period. End of story. A random sample chosen from stock performed exactly as my light does.
Yes, that seems to be the case now. I realize the language used in this review wasn't previously clear (i.e., "Depending on the tension in the springs of your sample ..."), but that was because I didn't have any direct guidance from Niwalker.

To clarify, the pre-release samples that I reviewed could all be consistently locked out with a slight head twist. The shipping samples that were reviewed here behave the way Tenebrae describes - it takes a longer twist for the light to shut off now, but it will flicker back on/off if you handle or shake the light. This appears to be due to the revised carrier design and/or greater tension in the head spring.

Based on the reported dealer feedback, I've updated the review with a clearer statement that lock-out is not supported on these shipping versions. :wave:

grev

Newly Enlightened
I have a question, selfbuilt, have you tried the AW IMRs in these lights? Since they're shorter batteries, some of the lights won't accept them and so far I only have one light that can't use the shorter 18650s, and that is the Nitecore TM11 tiny monster.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have a question, selfbuilt, have you tried the AW IMRs in these lights? Since they're shorter batteries, some of the lights won't accept them and so far I only have one light that can't use the shorter 18650s, and that is the Nitecore TM11 tiny monster.
Absolutely no worries with fitting AW IMR 18650 cells in the shipping versions of these lights. The tension on the springs is high, and even the shortest cells are held securely.

This was a concern I had with the pre-release samples (which had much lower tension in the carrier), but it was fully resolved with the shipping versions. If anything, I would say the potential issue now is the stiffness of springs for getting really long cells in (although I've managed it fine for all my higher capacity cells).

grev

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely no worries with fitting AW IMR 18650 cells in the shipping versions of these lights. The tension on the springs is high, and even the shortest cells are held securely.

This was a concern I had with the pre-release samples (which had much lower tension in the carrier), but it was fully resolved with the shipping versions. If anything, I would say the potential issue now is the stiffness of springs for getting really long cells in (although I've managed it fine for all my higher capacity cells).
Thanks for the confirmation!

Dubois

Enlightened
Having received a detailed response from EDC+ this morning, my only real concern about this light has been completely assuaged. Bottom line: the Vostro was not designed to be locked out. Period. End of story. A random sample chosen from stock performed exactly as my light does.

And speaking of performance, this light is indeed impressive. I particularly like the fact that, quite unlike the Thrunite TN31, this light does not step down. Or at least it didn't during the extended time I had it on. It also manages heat dissipation better than any of the high-output lights I've handled—never getting truly hot in the hand.

Knowing what I know now, would I order another? You bet I would!:thumbsup:

This sounds good. I don't mind the lack of the ability to lock-out if it takes longer than a year to discharge cells, and the heat dissipation and lack of step-down are big pluses for me.

Dubois

Enlightened

I just received the BK-FA02, and have no problems with any of my protected cells - the longish Sanyo 2600mAh, and both Panasonic 3100mAh and 3400mAh fit OK. A little tight maybe, but they all fit and work. I'll post my impressions on the light after it gets dark.:)

Dubois

Enlightened
Well, the Wallbuys 3400 Panasonic's fit OK in my Vostro BK FA-02. They are tight, but fit OK.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone know if fast tech protected panasonic 3400s will fit? they are 70mm

wallbuys protected panasonic 3400 were up to 70.3mm.
Dubois tested them, they fit.
So will the fasttech then :)

Dubois

Enlightened
Some days ago the terraced house next to me caught fire. I was on the phone, and my wife started calling down from upstairs, which, of course, I ignored. I was rudely brought to my senses with her shouting "the house next door is on fire!" while phoning the emergency services on her mobile To cut a long story short, the fire brigade arrived (in 3 minutes), and went through our house to look at the belching thick black smoke coming from the back of the house.

I had my Vostro MT-G2, and gave it full power on the window, after the fire officer shone a miserable little incandescent angle head light at it. "Too much light?" I asked. "Hmm, that's a good torch - what is it?" he replied. Later, when they set up arc lights out the front, I had another play, and the Vostro held it's own.

Fortunately nobody was at home next door, but there was a lot of damage. I missed the exciting bit when the front door was kicked in and the flames extinguished, but, to be honest, I can do without such excitement.

Bottom line is that the Vostro would probably be a good search & rescue tool!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Bottom line is that the Vostro would probably be a good search & rescue tool!
Thanks for sharing the story. It definitely lets out a lot of light, and could potentially be useful in that category. Of course, you could always have dialed it down a few notches for the officer. ;)

Dubois

Enlightened
I've been reading Vinhnguyen's thread on his modified version of the Vostro BK-FA-02, and was curious about the position of the strobe. For me, having strobe at the bottom of the magnetic ring (ie, before low) is perfect - I never accidentally see it. On my Supbeam K40 (and I believe on the Thrunite TN31) strobe is past high on the ring, where I've hit it accidentally many times, trying, in vain, to eek out that extra little bit of light that doesn't exist. :)

Just curious what other people think.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I've just posted a review of the Crelant 7G5MT, so have done some additional outdoor beamshots. I think this batch looks fairly good, due to all the Fall colors in the trees. :)

BKFA02-7G10-7G5MT.gif

BKFA02-7G10-7G5MTz.gif

As you can see, the BK-FA02 has more output than the competing Crelant lights, but with a narrower overall spillbeam.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This was posted in my pre-release thread, but I thought I'd respond here, since this one refers to the shipping lights.

Self built do you think the niwalker is a better light then the tn31,I want something I can run on cr123's in a pinch.Nice review,like usual.
It's hard to say - the Niwalker is a more substantial light (i.e., it's heavier), and has a higher overall quality feel. But it's hard to say how the circuits hold up over time on either light.

As usual, I'd recommend that you choose on the basis of your preferred interface.

Last edited:

markeday

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,I like the thrunites and the UI is similar for the niwalker and thrunite but the battery option is important.

T0rch

Newly Enlightened
Received my BK-FA02 today. Really cool light. Only had a chance to play with it a bit but I really like the control ring with the strobe to the left of off.

Few minor issues I thought I'd mention. One the lanyard strap. Niwalker should just tie a knot on the one end, like they did with the fancy carry bag, rather than use a plastic clip. It's heavy enough to rip that clip right off when you let it drop to hang from your wrist. Happen to me straight away. My battery carrier had one negative spring with a lot of excess solder bridging the gap between coils, wouldn't compress far enough to get a battery in. Mine also had a messed up o-ring, just like in selfbuilt's video.

Last edited:

Scourie

Enlightened
Had my BK-FA02 a little while now and while I like it a lot, the level spacing leaves a little to be desired. If L4 and L5 were maybe 25% lower it would be perfect.

Apart from that minor quibble, it's a great light.

Rob