Niwalker Vostro BK-FA01 (XM-L2) BK-FA02 (MT-G2) 4x18650 FINAL SHIPPING Review: BEAMS+

Seavee

Newly Enlightened
Here is a very good youtube video showing the comparative beam patters of the FAO1 and the FAO2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swSPTunCZr0

I do a fair amount of boating at night here in Miami where a long range tight beam search light would really come in handy. I have a powerful incan (2X 55W halogens) remote controlled light mounted on my t-top but like the flexibility of a powerful hand held that can more quickly be aimed. I'm leaning towards the FAO1 for that reason.

BriteGeek

Newly Enlightened
selfbuilt,

Not sure if I want to thank you or not for the review... because of it I bought one! :) Now I have to decide if I want to send if off to vinh to get modified or not.

Honestly, the review helped me decide on which thrower I wanted as I could see comparison photos, specs and features all well laid out.

Thank you!

stona

Newly Enlightened
So the direct drive type output in the MT-G2 light occurs due to insufficient voltage overhead from the 2s2p battery arrangement, right? Can the driver handle 4s?

Edit: Just realized how stupid of a question this was when at the start of the review it says operating voltage tops out at 13V -_-. But, I'm still curious as to how it will operate with 3S...

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I'd be interested in hearing from owners of the BK-FA02. I have the ET MX25L3 with the MT-G2. It has impressed the hell out of me and I use it every night I go out. I had a two hour walk tonight walking about 12k and I used it a lot along with my headlamp. The emitter is amazing and I love the power out of this light and ease of use. It is also very easy to carry on my belt with the holster provided which is very well designed.

I'd be interested particularly on how easy it is to wear on a belt, which implies the question of how well designed the supplied holster is. It looks very good from what I can see.

It looks like a great product.

ramicio

Newly Enlightened
Just a heads up. I bought a BK-FA02 a few months ago. Recently it has been giving me problems where the control ring would be in the off position and the light would still be on. It would be at a level lower than the lowest setting. Slapping it around on the palm of my hand would make it hit full power and get stuck there. Being insane and not wanting to deal with warranty stuff, I took it apart. The toroid choke is held in place by some kind of white silicone. It is partially adhesive. It was up against the hall effect sensors. Once I nudged it away and put the light back together, the problem was gone.

SoundWorx

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide between the fao2 and the up coming Armytek grizzly. Anyone have thoughts or is it too early?

Dubois

Enlightened
Well, the Niwalker is available now and a great light. The Grizzly has been vapourware for over a year now.

ramicio

Newly Enlightened
I wish I could buy just the head. I already have a BK-FA02, and I would like to be able to just have one set of batteries and battery tube and just swap heads depending on what I am doing.

ramicio

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where I can get parts for these? The ring on the end that holds in the glass is pretty easy to dent. I do need to constantly remove the glass to clean it, because the inside gets foggy. I also now shattered the glass. I do not wish to send it off to be gone for weeks to get repaired. I would much rather buy parts. If they didn't want people to be able to do such a thing, they would have put thread locker on that part, so they should sell the parts.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Great review Selfbuilt, What happened to this light(BK-FA02) Going Gear says its not available? Was there trouble with it? Anyone know? I can get this through a few places starting at $188 all the way to $650(lol). It was about $120 at Going Gear.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review Selfbuilt, What happened to this light(BK-FA02) Going Gear says its not available? Was there trouble with it? Anyone know? I can get this through a few places starting at $188 all the way to $650(lol). It was about $120 at Going Gear.
I don't know, you'd have to check with the manufacturer and/or dealer. Niwalker doesn't have the presence of some other makers, so perhaps they weren't able to produce and/or sell in sufficient numbers, or at a high enough margin?

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Companies like GoingGear, and other flashlight resellers tend to stock lights that have a high potential for sale. While the BK-FA02 is a perfectly good light, at this point it's somewhat dated, and is outperformed or matched by newer models, both from niwalker itself, and other brands. The $120 price from GG was likely a steep discount to clear inventory since originally they retailed for around $170 iirc.

Suggest looking at an acebeam K40M as an alternative... has physical off button in the tailcap, and 3x18650 is far more comfortable to hold.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Companies like GoingGear, and other flashlight resellers tend to stock lights that have a high potential for sale. While the BK-FA02 is a perfectly good light, at this point it's somewhat dated, and is outperformed or matched by newer models, both from niwalker itself, and other brands. The $120 price from GG was likely a steep discount to clear inventory since originally they retailed for around $170 iirc.

Suggest looking at an acebeam K40M as an alternative... has physical off button in the tailcap, and 3x18650 is far more comfortable to hold.
Thanks, I haven't completely given up on the FA02 as it has large heat sinking capabilty & will be used continuously for long periods of time. I'm going to check out the Acebeam though.

ramicio

Newly Enlightened
I sent mine to Going Gear back in January because I needed the glass lens and the metal ring that holds it on. They sent it off for warranty repair. Well, it's the beginning of August, and still nothing. I e-mailed them back in May, and they basically told me to wait and when I get it in the mail, that means I got it. I'm thinking that this NiWalker company went under. I am really getting pissed off here. They (Going Gear) can't seem to tell me anything about what's going on. Even if this stuff went by boat, it shouldn't take this long.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I sent mine to Going Gear back in January because I needed the glass lens and the metal ring that holds it on. They sent it off for warranty repair. Well, it's the beginning of August, and still nothing. I e-mailed them back in May, and they basically told me to wait and when I get it in the mail, that means I got it. I'm thinking that this NiWalker company went under. I am really getting pissed off here. They (Going Gear) can't seem to tell me anything about what's going on. Even if this stuff went by boat, it shouldn't take this long.

Hey ramicio,

I'm pretty sure one of my guys gave you some bad info. We're looking into it right now and will update you via email. We have a light for you.

Mstevens113

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested in seeing a review on the updated versions of these from this year, the Bk-fa01s & Bk-fa02s

They seem to be nice looking lights.