No love for the Surefire T1A Titan?

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
You don't hear much about these, so I'm wondering why the lack of love. I just got one. Definitely pricey for a tiny light, but it's seems like typical SF awesomeness. The interface is pretty slick and there are no noticeable steps in output. It appears genuinely "infinitely" adjustable. If it's not, the transition is pretty smooth.

It's way too expensive for me to want to mar up the finish putting it on a keychain, or even attaching a split ring to it, but it fits nicely in my suit pants inside that little pocket that is always sewn on the inside of the pants pocket.

Output is very good, better than what the specs seem to suggest. Beam profile is beautiful. And I love how low the low goes!!! True moonlight!

Anyway, seems like a winner to me.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't hear much about these, so I'm wondering why the lack of love. I just got one. Definitely pricey for a tiny light, but it's seems like typical SF awesomeness. The interface is pretty slick and there are no noticeable steps in output. It appears genuinely "infinitely" adjustable. If it's not, the transition is pretty smooth.

It's way too expensive for me to want to mar up the finish putting it on a keychain, or even attaching a split ring to it, but it fits nicely in my suit pants inside that little pocket that is always sewn on the inside of the pants pocket.

Output is very good, better than what the specs seem to suggest. Beam profile is beautiful. And I love how low the low goes!!! True moonlight!

Anyway, seems like a winner to me.

Why not! ......

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! ...... :thumbsup:

Phry

Banned
I think the price + 70 lumens from a CR123 = little interest.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Surefire lights but this one is just too expensive(for me :broke:)for what it is.
I think the price + 70 lumens from a CR123 = little interest.

you have to remember that the T1A is a few years old - when it was released, it was a time when lights that size were doing 60-120 lumens from a single 123

its was a very cool light, but has a few issues - namely the blue tint, and poor (very floody) focus
I EDCed one for a year or so, before i replaced it with a Muyshondt Aeon, a light that suits my EDC needs better.

the T1A is now attached to a lanyard in my laptop bag - where it fills a "backup to the backup EDC" role

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very pleased with my T1A, especially since it cured my need / search for a key-chain light. When I needed it, I've yet to dial it in to max brightness. Usually dialed around the 1/2 mark or lower, give or take.

In regards to it's tint and beam profile. I guess I got lucky, since the hot spot transitions very nice / smooth into the spill, and the tint has only the slightest hint of blue (to my eyes anyways). Plus it just feels good in my hand, as well as having the right amount of weight that it seems indestructible. Heck I've dropped my keys more then a few times, and the T1A is still rooking good!

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
You made a wise choice. I like that it's tighten for off, unlike most head twisties, and it has a smooth continuously variable interface, unlike QTC. No preflashes, bugginess, buttons + rings or anything complicated, & it can go as low as you want. My only problem with it would have been, & someone in the custom subforum was taking orders for aftermarket tailcaps (w/o the keychain lug), but he eventually bailed on the project because not enough people wanted one.

But no, not many people are going to have love for it especially now, because it's not all things at all times to all users, 700l, auxiliary modes, with whatever tint du jour buzzword is currently required.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It definitely gets love from me. It has the best interface and a beautiful beam, in a small [but not too small] size. I've never owned one, but used one for a while at a CPF get-toghther. Yes, it is expensive, and the max is not super impressive, although as was pointed out - it was impressive in its day.

The fact that few other lights have copied this great interface gives you an idea how hard it is to make such an interface, hence the high price. I'm not a big Surefire fanboy, I've never owned one, but this model is one I would consider, although I'm also not a fan of CR123 lights since there are no great rechargeable options for those lights.

nbp

Flashaholic
This thread along with the ones I linked in the 2nd post of it show love for the T1A. I have touted its virtues many times around these halls. :rock:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Nice light.

250 dollars?

Difficult to expose this light to many people at that cost of entry.

Hence, it's a "boutique" light with admirers ... but not as many actual users.

nbp

Flashaholic
Not as far as I can tell. It seems that generally the owners that have posted here in these threads DO actually use them. It's not an especially "pretty" light, nor is it rare, so what would be the appeal of putting it on a shelf? It's not L6 Porky or something, it's a T1A. I tend to see most of them mentioned here in use, often even on key rings. Mine gets used nightly; the attraction of this UI is that it is exceptionally user friendly.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
Just noticed that the Surefire T1A Titan has been discontinued. Have one of my Titans attached to the top D ring on my new Streamlight Siege lantern. The Titan is a most useful tool around my house.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a nice light for sure, and 70-lumens is sufficiently bright for the vast majority of everyday situations. It's not the price that puts me off but reports of ghastly blue and purple tints. If Surefire had ever released a high CRI version with a pleasing warm tint then I might have considered it over the HDS Rotary.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Too bad that it got discontinued, it is the best implementation of infinite variable control by a huge margin. If Surefire would take more care in choosing emitters, it would be hard to compete with. I have one of the most recent 90 Lumen models, and the tint isn't as bad as the older models, but the price puts it in competition with custom lights where you can specify the precise tint you want.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one from SureFire about a month ago and was told it was on backorder. I e-mailed them early this morning to check the status and was told that it would be available in early August. Now I see here that it is discontinued :thinking:

I wonder if I just received a "canned" response to any inquiries about backordered items. I haven't been charged for the light yet so I guess I can just wait it out and see what happens.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If it has been discontinued, there might be some showing up on closeouts from Surefire dealers at big discounts.

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
Too bad that it got discontinued, it is the best implementation of infinite variable control by a huge margin.

I agree. best example of variable control ring. I have a 90 lumen model as well & it resides in one of my winter coats. The blue tint is a little weird but the light is very well built. hoping they reissue with new emitter.