No more Duracell CEF23 chargers?

Wurkkos

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only stamp i can find on the cells is "8F 18" and they are 2000mah ActiveCharge cells, I will have to try some Eneloops and see what temp i get them.

Thats a bit on the warm side for brand new cells being charged at only 550mA.... I charge my cells at 1800mA from time to time when im in a hurry and that does get em a bit warm but 500ish shouldn't do that. How old are the cells you received with the charger? It should be stamped on the cells somewhere.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried to charge my cell phone from the usb port with four eneloops , the blue light came on and the phone said it was charging, but after five minutes the blue light when out and there was a really bad chemical smell, and now the usb charge function no longer works, I have used this usb to microusb to charge my cell phone hundreds of times.

what has happened?

RepProdigious

Enlightened
How is the voltage on all the cells? If those are still ok my guess is that you had a bad charger or something...... if it doesn't work anymore i would return it to the store.

CountryBoy19

Newly Enlightened
How is the voltage on all the cells? If those are still ok my guess is that you had a bad charger or something...... if it doesn't work anymore i would return it to the store.
This ^^^ If the cells are ok it sounds like the magic smoke escaped from something inside the charger and it will need repaired/returned.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell are going to send me out vouchers £20, but i can only use them to buy Duracell products, I originally paid £14.99 online, but i can only find it at my local Argos Store for £26.99 , so they are going to send me out vouchers for £27 after i argued with them for a while.

EDIT : They told me just to dump the charger, so i am up 4 x 2000mah battery's.

Good work Duracell :)

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Can I just confirm whether the CEF23-UK chargers here in the uk are the same as the nice ones described earlier in the thread? Independant bays, good DV/DT termination etc?

Like this one:
http://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/pno/cef23-uk.html?CAWELAID=761530994
They should have the same internals. Anything after CEF23 is as far as I can tell unrelated to the charger design it only specifies the power plug for what countries and the accessories included. Both my chargers say CEF23 on the back with nothing after it no DX2 or DX4 but then it is an american one.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought four Duracell CEF21 chargers only £5 each , but i don't like the fake battery level indicators :( , but it charges great :)

Well, they are not totally fake, they do help me to tell how long the batteries have been on. They come on at almost exactly 2 hour intervals. If they called them a timing device, we would not have anything to complain about.

1: It does make a ticking noise, about once a second, is this pulse charging?

Mine has always had slow rhythmic ticking like that too, but you have to be in a very silent room and have good hearing to pick it up. I suspect that some who are not hearing it might not have ideal enough conditions, I don't usually notice it, but it is always there on mine. I'm not sure it is so much pulse charging, but maybe the interval that the machine stops momentarily and checks the battery status toward termination - just a guess.

Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Well, i put some random cells in my charger (old, new, high an low capacity) and put it to my ear...... and ill be damned, not only does it tick (its a double tick on mine, like a heartbeat) but it also beeps just before it ticks and it has a hum that changes from time to time in pitch. Quite funny, like a little orchestra! It's not very loud tho.... And while im writing this one of the four cells i put in there is giving an error code :D Blinking red light, i guess that's bad right? Must be, its one of the old cells that's giving the error....

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, actually a double-tick sound. Now you are hearing more than me, I never noticed the little beep.

How about this, though. If I remember correctly, the tick is louder when there are more cells in the charger!

I had also meant to mention for sparky2 that there is a blinking error code. It will error on high internal resistance or voltage out of the expected range. Mine seems to be almost as sensitive to high internal resistance cells as my C9000, same with the CEF21. Only my LaCrosse BC700 will charge and terminate on old junk cells.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Well, when mine refuses to charge old cells i just pull em a couple of times and re-insert them and after 3 or 4 tries itll charge em just fine.

But the error-code does indeed work pretty good. Not only for high-resistance cells and voltage errors but also when cells get too hot. Pretty neat little machine, thats why i always recommend it to friends an family (of the simple kind that don't want or need a bc-900)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if a cell has self-discharged to too low of a voltage, it will error, but can be "pumped up" to an acceptable voltage by repeated insertions like you describe, I've gotten that to work a lot too. But if a cell is getting an error on high internal resistance, my guess is that it will almost never take it.

Yes, it is a shame that they finally had a few good consumer chargers in brick and mortar stores, and in a relatively short time they are all gone again. A friend is finally considering rechargables after blowing two alkalines in good lights, a Fenix and an LF2XT, despite my most animate warnings. I had to point out that the only way to get a good charger for them is to order it over the net. But then they will probably be doing that to get Eneloops anyway.

sparky2

Newly Enlightened
I had also meant to mention for sparky2 that there is a blinking error code. It will error on high internal resistance or voltage out of the expected range. Mine seems to be almost as sensitive to high internal resistance cells as my C9000, same with the CEF21. Only my LaCrosse BC700 will charge and terminate on old junk cells.

Thanks.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
IME, my C9000 will reject cells (i.e. Display "HIGH") with an ICV GT ~2.10VDC, while my CEF23 will reject cells with an ICV GT ~2.50VDC.

In both cases, if the ICV is 'close' to the 'cutoff', warming the cells (in your hand, or in another charger) will allow the C9000, or CEF23, to charge the cells.