No more Duracell CEF23 chargers?

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Walked into my tiny little local supermarket yesterday and to my surprise they had a display on the counter with quite a few CEF23 chargers in what appeared to be brand new packaging..... Are these back into production or something?

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
Walked into my tiny little local supermarket yesterday and to my surprise they had a display on the counter with quite a few CEF23 chargers in what appeared to be brand new packaging..... Are these back into production or something?

Yup, you're not alone. In Canada, they seem to be all over the place again. I've seen them in Canadian Tire, Walmart and Shopper's Drug Mart. The prices are not great though @ $35 - $42.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my vouchers from Duracell for the faulty CEF23 , I got £27 worth even though i only paid £16 for it, as i told them my local store Argos had it for sale at £26.99 , the one with the car charger cable and the 2xAA 2xAAA , better than the one that went faulty.

So my local Argos did not have any in stock, but they could order it in , 3 days , So i asked my aunty to go and collect it, she returned without the charger saying Argos would not accept the vouchers.

So i had the vouchers for a month or so , but they expire after 3 months , so i was going to go to my local stores myself and see it any would take them, the first one did Asda(Wallmart) , but they did not have the charger i wanted , so i decided to go to Argos myself and see the manager.

So i saw an assistant , and i told her that Duracell had said that they accepted the vouchers , so she went off to see the manger, 15 mins later she came back and said they would accept them , so i gave her the code for the charger, and guess what it was on sale for £14.99 down from £26.99 , so i bought it and a few packs of battery`s with the leftover vouchers :)

Last edited:

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Found and bought the last 2 of these in a local Walmart in Southwest Ohio, but 2 other local Walmarts didn't have any. I will check back where I bought them to see if they restock, also a few other Walmarts I pass by. This charger with 4 eneloops charged my Iphone 4 - 75%.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Found and bought the last 2 of these in a local Walmart in Southwest Ohio, but 2 other local Walmarts didn't have any. I will check back where I bought them to see if they restock, also a few other Walmarts I pass by. This charger with 4 eneloops charged my Iphone 4 - 75%.

restock? don't count on it as the chargers have been discontinued a long time ago

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
restock? don't count on it as the chargers have been discontinued a long time ago

A guy can dream, can't he? LOL, was just thinking I hadn't seen them in this particular Walmart for quite a while, then suddenly they appeared. Maybe they were hidden behind a rack of Value Chargers or Energizer's or some other product.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A guy can dream, can't he? LOL, was just thinking I hadn't seen them in this particular Walmart for quite a while, then suddenly they appeared. Maybe they were hidden behind a rack of Value Chargers or Energizer's or some other product.

or maybe they got buried in the back of the store or in a bin of ancient returns. Walmart used to take returns without a receipt such that if something had a stock number in their computer they would give you a gift card for the amount.

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
I got my CEF23 yesterday and have been testing it in preparation for my trip to South Africa.

The AC-DC power-supply built into the charger is an archaic transformer-based design which gets quite hot. disappointing.
The USB-charge circuitry also seems to get very hot in use, when USB-charging from batteries, it got so hot that it shut off along with a strong chemical smell.

Because the AC-psu is terrible, i have opted to use the charger solely with a 12V DC input, as provided by the power-supply that came with my XTAR WP2 Li-ion charger. This seems to work very well, although the CEF23's casing needed to be modified so the regular-length jack from the PSU would fit properly.

When using the USB-charge feature on the 12V DC input it still gets hot, albeit less so.

As a result i'm only going to use the USB charge feature in emergencies, and will only power the charger from the 12V input.

Otherwise it's good, and its charge termination detection is a damn sight better than my last NiMh charger :)

hazna

Enlightened
I got my CEF23 yesterday and have been testing it in preparation for my trip to South Africa.

The AC-DC power-supply built into the charger is an archaic transformer-based design which gets quite hot. disappointing.
The USB-charge circuitry also seems to get very hot in use, when USB-charging from batteries, it got so hot that it shut off along with a strong chemical smell.

Because the AC-psu is terrible, i have opted to use the charger solely with a 12V DC input, as provided by the power-supply that came with my XTAR WP2 Li-ion charger. This seems to work very well, although the CEF23's casing needed to be modified so the regular-length jack from the PSU would fit properly.

When using the USB-charge feature on the 12V DC input it still gets hot, albeit less so.

As a result i'm only going to use the USB charge feature in emergencies, and will only power the charger from the 12V input.

Otherwise it's good, and its charge termination detection is a damn sight better than my last NiMh charger :)

having taken this charger with me on my holidays, I have noted some issues. I agree that the USB charge feature, does make the side of the unit quite hot and gives off a chemical smell.

chewy78

Enlightened
I bought one mostly so i could charge my cell phone with the usb port on it. I have the cells that came with it currently being cycled on my c9000. They might be still ok to use.

apvm

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one at Best Buy Canada for my Recyko and Vivitar 2100 since I am not sure if my old Vanson V1000 is a good charger or not.