• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Non-battery-crush QTC flashlights (2nd run and combo package now available)

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input geisto :thumbsup: I'm wondering if I'll wait for the 123 mini or just get the big boy...... Hmmm not a good question here on cpf as it's always "GET BOTH!" :nana:

A few questions/assumptions:
The new 123 nugget light will be DD as well so it will have the same output as the 26650 light but have shorter run time.
Mass will be less so heat might be an issue running it in DD 1000 lumens, but battery probably wont last long enough to be an issue.
Being smaller thinner I guess it wont be as strong for throwing around?
And will you be making an 18650 tube for the smaller light?

Thanks

TheFraz

Enlightened
I know how QTC works I even have a packet of some somewhere, I was just wondering if the light was run at 50% (say aprox 500 lumens) will it be as regulated as a light that was electronically regulated?

I know on high it's DD so battery sag will be an issue, but I just wanted to know about anything under DD and as the QTC slowly gets crushed over time (getting thinner) does it affect any regulation it once had?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread to answer your question.

The QTC is very interesting material. I like to think of it as controlling current as a dam controls water. Rather than shedding off the extra amperage as heat, the QTC simply lets more or less amperage through. In real life use, it seems to be more efficient than a traditional driver. The light is only under strict DD at the full level (where the engine fail-safe bypasses the QTC pill altogether), and then there is enough resistance in the system (springs, wires, etc) to keep the battery from getting out of control and baking the LED.

If you put this light at 500 lumens, and a PCB driver light at 500 lumens and had a runtime contest, I think the QTC will be more efficient. The difference is that the QTC will eventually dim a bit rather than run 100% until it blinks out.

For this QTC engine, you are trading the precision of a traditional driver for the durability and efficiency of the QTC. Also, the QTC is easily (and cheaply) replaceable, which is a big difference from a PCB driver. The QTC pill will eventually degrade, but with each new update to this design they are holding up longer. I have designed the pistons in this light to protect the QTC from overcompression. Each pill should be good for several thousand compressions at this point (which I continuously mind-numbingly verify in front of the TV). When the QTC does degrade enough where it is not as smooth as a mint pill, you can still control regulation - it just will not be as smooth. And the great thing about that is that the QTC will fail to "on" rather than "off." So if your pill turns to dust, your light will still work.

Hopefully I answered your questions :D. Please let me know if you would like to know anything else.

-Fraz

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribed. I've just run across this design, and I love the simplicity. Patiently awaiting the release of the CR123/16240/18350!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just got mine. I have to say. I freakin love this light. Its a 26650, and weighs 9.29 oz with the battery. A 3C Maglite weighs 19.45 oz, and a Surefire E1 Defender weighs 3.31 oz to give you some comparisons. This light feels solid as a rock in your hands. It does have some battery rattle if you bang it around. A better way to say that is, if you were to drive some nails with it, and you could, it will rattle a little. lol This could be fixed with some foam should it bother ones self.

The ramp up is so cool. I didn't notice any PWM at any level. I am so happy with the ability to have it "infinitely" adjustable. This will be perfect to keep in my tent or camper. Ultra low, tailstand, 26650.

The knurling on the light gives it a solid grip feel. Its so solid, you could probably file down a stripped out screw with it. It has a nice warm tint. Only things some folks may not like are, squarish ring in the beam, some dust under lens. Those are non issues for me. I bought it to use, and I mean its gonna have a hard life.

Cool light indeed. Can't wait for the 123 model.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Re: ON SALE! Fraz Labs QTC flashlights (3rd run now available version 1.1)

I'm interested in the CR123A model when you have it ready.

Can you PM me when it is?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are any of these still available?

I checked their website a few days ago and it was. I was gonna order a second, but I got to temped by something else. A rare Tain I had been looking for! But, I am going to buy a second one soon. I went with the combo package. I needed a spare 26650 anyways.
Its been a month since my last post on this thread. I love the light even more! I went on vacation, and I normally carry a tail standing surefire E1L , I changed the tail cap, with the KX1B head in my bag at all times. Well this year I took the Fraz. One battery lasted all week using the light as a reading light every night & night light in the camps bathroom for 8 hrs a night! The power went out and this light was EVERYONES goto source for lighting. For the price, this thing is simply amazing. I had to add some paracord to make a lanyard. Other wise it will roll off surfaces & I was going on a boat every am fishing. If you get the combo it comes with a small charger. This is great for packing and travel. I also already had a few 26650 King Kongs. So I carried one as a spare. In a week, never used the charger or spare!
When the 123 model comes out, I am going to be ordering 2 of them. I hope he has a optional clip or somebody here makes one.

Skeilio

Newly Enlightened

TheFraz your PM Queue is full and was checking if you received my order PM me when you can.

TheFraz

Enlightened

Hey guys, sorry I've been off the grid a few days (switched out all my computer equipment...which kicked the bucket). I am working to catch up on my e-mails and PMs now. Will be back shortly with more info on the CR123 light as well.

Thanks,
Fraz

TheFraz

Enlightened

Are any of these still available?

Yes, I still have a few available. Let me know if you are interested in one.

As for the new CR123 version of the light, the design is pretty much ready. My last hitch is finding a machine shop that can get them done in quantity (and with the quality I want). Here is a little demo video of me using the latest prototype with a 18350 battery. I am also developing the piston system to keep the QTC intact longer - the latest versions of the pistons should be an improvement.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh that is nice. The tint of the LED looks quite neutral, if maybe just a tad cool. Is that what you are seeing in real life? The size looks more compact/lighter weight than your larger unit. Very impressive. Such a treat to see your creations evolve.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

gunga

Flashaholic

I need one. Soon! Any clip or lanyard option?

Sent from my iPod touch using Candlepowerforums

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fraz, your mailbox is full. Probably from all my spam! lol

calflash

Enlightened

I need one too.

cliwilnew

Newly Enlightened

I also "need" one , so I just placed an order. Can't wait! I'm looking forward to the little brother as soon as it's released.

gunga

Flashaholic

I guess I'll keep some funds reserved for this. Been waiting for 8 months... Still want one.

Latest posts