Non flashlight Battery help.

chip100t

Enlightened
Joined
Apr 1, 2021
Messages
313
Hi, have gone full fiber so bought digital phones that work through wifi, so bought new batteries to put in my old house phones to give to my mum who’s current phones are rubbish.

Was going to fit Eneloop aaa but read home phone rechargeable batteries are wound differently (whatever that means) and are house phone specific. and that you need to buy similar mah as the originals. So bought some sanik batteries that were marketed for exactly this application.

The retailer recommended charging the them in phone for 24hrs before use.
But I thought I would pre charge them in my Fenix charger. They went from a low charge to full in about half an hour and removing them noticed they were very hot.
I then noticed on the side of the battery it said,

Standard charge 15 hours at 55 ma
Fast charge 5 hours at 165 ma

My charger had been charging them at 1004 ma.

Could I have now damaged them, I have since put them in the phones and plugged them in and the display says low charge (when my charger said full) but are flashing signifying they are charging.

I am worried I have damaged them and thinking I should just order some more and this time do as recommended and put them straight in the phone.

The cause of my anxiety is the fact I am giving them to my mum. I want them to work perfectly and worry they could now be a fire hazard due to damage caused by my heating them up charging them at a far to high ma.
 
Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
Joined
Mar 3, 2021
Messages
524
when in doubt, throw it out

but seriously, I think that you might have damaged them, but even if you have the slightest concern about a rechargeable, especially one that will be in constant use, just trash the damn thing, it's not worth it
 

dragosios

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
52
Location
Stockholm, Sweden
There are phones on which the charging circuit is applying always a trickle charge to batteries, so they are always dissipating heat. Not good on long term, but ... that's the way they were built.
NiCd's were tolerant with that method of charging. NiMH don't like that but should go on for a while.
 

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Messages
1,008
Location
Seattle
Can you give us data from the phone user manual that says what kind of battery should be used? NiCd or NiMH makes a difference.

I am not an expert, but there may be damage from high charge. You can check the voltage, but hot batteries often means shorter life. An AAA Eneloop is usually charged at about 500mA and assumes the charger accurately detects when full and shuts off. Hot batteries are usually to be avoided.

Many people get a charger that has a test cycle so they can get an idea of the battery condition.
 

chip100t

Enlightened
Joined
Apr 1, 2021
Messages
313
The original batteries were NiMH so are the replacements. I emailed the company I bought them from and they said they would be fine. Very worse case scenario I may have shortened their lifespan slightly but they doubted even that from one charge cycle. They are in the phones now and charging well.
 

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 17, 2001
Messages
2,622
Location
dayton oh
Best for those phones would be eneloop lite.
Plain white eneloops i put in some phones 5 years ago are still running good with a user who uses them all day for business work.
 
Top