noob modding x5 with cree need help

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
I have some experience with electronics but I am not sure I understand all of the product descriptions at the sandwhich shoppe. Do I want a badboy or a nexgen?
I have an x5 in the freezer going through its second pop cylce and I want to know which board to to buy if I want to mount a cree and run it at 750ma. I may cut the x5 down to a 1x123 ala P1-CED, but I haven't decided that yet.

I plan to fabricate a reflector for the cree but I noticed some crees have optics on them? do they all come with them and some people just pop them off? Finally, I don't see dimensions for the PCBs listed at the shoppe, how do I know they will fit in the X5 tube? I have thought about threading the other side of the x5 and fabricating a totally new turbo head, but I think that will be rev 2.

thanks for any help.

Illum

Flashaholic
of all the modding platform to choose from, why the X5? a light thats not only difficult to open and modify...AND its made for 5mm leds. If your looking for inova-class design and durability, but wish to improve on the regulator circuit, theres other platforms suitable for your application.
Even with CREE optics, shining the beam through 5 5mm LED holes is :sick2:

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
fair question. I had a green X5 which I found to be pretty useless. The green color renders certain colors invisible.

But I am not going to use the originial X5 head. I was only going to use the tube and switch. I am going to fabricate a new head/reflector for the tube.

I suppose I have AA minimag, and others I could try first, but I like the old X5 body with the grooves (not flat sides).

However, now that I have tried 4 cycles of freeze pop, I am pretty sure the water is squeezing out the led holes and I am going to have to resort to more extreme measures, but since I am not putting the originial head back in, I am either going to vice it out, or chuck it up in the lathe and show it who's boss. no need to spare it.
still any help with the driver circuit?

Illum

Flashaholic
flashlightpoor said:
However, now that I have tried 4 cycles of freeze pop, I am pretty sure the water is squeezing out the led holes and I am going to have to resort to more extreme measures...

mmm...I've been told since the LED/resistor assembly of the X5 is potted with epoxy and therefore waterproofed from the outside, I came to same verdict aftering leaving the X5 in the toylet cistern overnight [actually I was testing but after a phone call I forgot about it, good thing no one flushed the toylet]. withno water leakage.
If not I suppose you can try and cut into it, but dont expect to use your saw for other things later:ohgeez:

flashlightpoor said:
still any help with the driver circuit?

I'm sorry, Im not an experienced modder to go intocircuitry, my simple rudimentary mods are usually done with resistors:ohgeez:.

However, I can refer you to previous X5 mods and perhaps those users can be of help via PM
Help modding the Inova X5T
Inova X5 Mod more pics/info [circuit used:Downboy 400mA]

Last edited:

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
yeah these previous mods basically replaced the existing LEDs with high power nichias and a new circuit board. It made for an impressive flood light.
And maybe I will do that instead of machining a new head to accept a cree or P4-- but I thought it would be a good first mod.
The flashlight freeze never worked in the end. water just kept squeezing out the led holes. I found a pipe with an OD the same as the light's ID and pounded it. I thought it would kill the circuit board but it didn't it just popped out.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The chart on this page is for determining which board is right for a given application:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_49_61&products_id=394

Downboy 400 or 500 is what I would go for. 750 or 900 would be brighter, but less effecient in terms of brightness vs runtime and heat would start to become an issue, I'd think. And with the downboy, you get to use LiIons. I'd try to bore the body out to accept an 18650.

So... you are planning on fabricating a heatsink, buying a reflector and fabricating a new head around it? Could be awesome. Seems like a big step for a first mod, but who knows.

Illum

Flashaholic
flashlightpoor said:
yeah these previous mods basically replaced the existing LEDs with high power nichias...

I posted these links to help you solve the fundamental issue if modding, getting the head open.

I figured the threads can give you a good idea of how deep you may want to cut if you wanted to saw off the head :sweat:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to throw out there, the one Nemul did with the DB500 and the Nichia CS LEDs was about three times as bright as the stock X5. REALLY bright. I'd say at least in the 30-40 lumen range. Its a VERY worthy mod in my opinion as long as you aren't looking for a lot of throw.

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to work on it this weekend and post pics and progress.