Noob Rotary love

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Hi all you HDS officinado's! Just received my first HDS, a 250 Rotary edc and the obligatory universal clip. I come to you from the green light land of single 123 surefires. Ok now that I got that out in the open..I really love this little rotary so far, the stock setup is probably going to cover my needs perfect. The only thing that is going to take some relearning is bezel up carry..only because I can't bring myself to hang it by the rotator with the clip attached it seems like it would put undue stress on the rotary mechanism..anyhow I've been lurking and drooling for quite some time.. glad I took the plunge.

P.s. The hi Cri is strong here.:sssh:

thaugen

Enlightened
Welcome to the club! HDS lights are something special and I hope you get many years of useful enjoyment out of yours. And, chances are you'll have a few more very soon. I use a clip on my clicky with interchangeable raised and flush tail switches. My rotaries are all flush no clip. I love them both for different reasons but don't want to be without either.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the clan! Put the universal clip wherever it makes sense for you. You can't hurt the rotary mechanism.

Cheers!

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome michpatriot!

I am pretty sure you will get a few more HDS lights in the future if you find out there are this cool limited LED options. Even if there is not a real need for a HDS backup light. On my desk it looks like this ~1 year old picture: :eek:

ELh3jbs.jpg

(And this picture is outdated, if everything works right I get my SS20 HDS Friday. Guess I need to take an update picutre :thumbsup:)

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the tribe!

As stated before, you can put it on the Rotary tail.
I'm not a clip guy, and think that Universal Clip is about as ugly a thing as has ever been made by HDS. You just look at it and it has "engineer" written all over it. LOL! Unfortunately, with Henry not being a clip guy as well... it is a bit of the Achilles heel of the HDS Rotary (if one is a clip guy). Trying to fix that on the new model (don't hold your breath folks... it is going to be a loooooooooong wait... like a Henry two-months... or even a Henry 2 years).

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
I like the universal clip on a hat bill..but that's about it, I just ordered a Over ready clip and some 18.5mmX2mm orings..sorry Henry I tried lol! I have a inkling that a belt holster may be in the future, but with a speed loader pouch already on the belt I'm going to try the bezel up position with the Overready mod clip first because I already hate putting on the belt with the revolver reload..Its an amazing little light for sure, I've carried a few lights over the years and really wanted something like the old Titan T1A..so glad I found HDS. Fighting the High CRI fever will probably take all my will power, I just couldn't wait for one and after talking with Henry on the phone I went with the 250 Rotary EDC because it would be the quickest fix for my immediate hopeless fall into the HDS addiction.

bigfoot

Enlightened
They're like chips -- good luck having only one! :D Congrats on the new light!

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Tonight is learning customization:duh2: and factory reset..

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight is learning customization:duh2: and factory reset..

That's half the fun! In my opinion, the user manual can be a bit cumbersome, but Hogo has some very enlightening videos on YouTube. If you have any questions, please speak up. A lot of us can speak HDS fluently and will help you dial in the settings you like.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a holster guy... and darn it, I oughta be since I make them.
US Diver on here makes a cool "Ranger System". If you PM him, he can send some photos of it. It's a lanyard type system.

Lot's of ways to carry them.
I hate the Universal Clip... mostly because I'm the poor sap who has to put them together with those tiny-*** little screws and my old eyes can barely see them!

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Oh I already had myself locked out of the rotary Elf's house...had to do a forced factory reset to get the Rotor working LOL. Handed it to my 6yr old daughter while customization was enabled just to show her how to get SOS and in 1.5 seconds she had it in Armageddon flash that Id never seen before..and I tried 60 sec no battery reset but couldn't get it to turn on past a low setting with a momentary high and no rotary function..took about 20 tries at factory reset finally got it by undressing and holding the button till it went off..the Elf is in the Lazyboy and Daddy is happy with factory..maybe I'll stick to locator beacon someday.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I already had myself locked out of the rotary Elf's house...had to do a forced factory reset to get the Rotor working LOL. Handed it to my 6yr old daughter while customization was enabled just to show her how to get SOS and in 1.5 seconds she had it in Armageddon flash that Id never seen before..and I tried 60 sec no battery reset but couldn't get it to turn on past a low setting with a momentary high and no rotary function..took about 20 tries at factory reset finally got it by undressing and holding the button till it went off..the Elf is in the Lazyboy and Daddy is happy with factory..maybe I'll stick to locator beacon someday.

LOL! You will get the hang of it. Don't give up. As long as you can do a factory reset, then all is good.

Some boob made these videos.
Here is on the Factory Reset.
Here is on enabling customization.
Here is on how to properly get it out of the clam shell packaging.

Anything you have trouble on, just ask. You will find the folks here very accommodating and friendly... except for me sometimes. Wish I was kidding.

P.S. This was my carry today (on person... well, some of it). Nothing like a good wheel-gun.
img-5249-2.jpg

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Hey this is gonna be great! New light and revolver love...does it get any better? I know.. How bout some pics of a HDS holster or four?

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Well Hot diggity!! I'm going to need a left hand side horizontal for a Cr123 Rotary with a battery holder..nothing fancy, Black leather no lining 1-1\2" belt..The horizontal that you made for Henry looks like the ticket for me. No clip, belt loop style.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please identify that blade, sir. It is worthy of many zombie kills. Quite a work of art.

Dennis Cook Custom Knives Damascus with burl handle. He is in Arizona and married Barry Dawson's (Dawson Custom Knives) daughter.
Really nice guy and makes some excellent knives.