Nostalgia

Enlightened
Wow, it just dawned on me I've been here 10 years. Those 72 lm Luxeon IIIs were really something!

Then Cree popped up and things started getting very interesting!

Anyone have a favorite commercial design from the days of yore you'd like to see resurrected (with modern guts, of course.)?

Let's limit it to no more than two, a CR123A (or any lithium primary) based light and a light that can be fed with the more common supermarket cells.

I'll pick the Fenix P3D (2xCR123). Sleek, rugged, reliable, compact and seriously bright for its time, plus it could tail stand.

Second will be the Fenix L2D. Looks like an unholy union of a riflescope and a Mini-mag (its ugliness added to its charm) fed on a couple AAs, kicked some serious Maglite butt and lasted forever.

So these are my two blasts from the past, anyone else?

BTW, pictures would be welcome.

Another BTW, what were the outputs of the incandescent 2xD maglite and the Mini Mag?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course the Nitecore D10 and Fenix TK20. Stick an XP-G2 or Nichia 219 and LOP reflector in both and even with the original circuit you'd be on to a winner.

Enlightened
Yes, yes they would. cough cough P3D cough cough L2D coughhh

A bad pic of a couple P3Ds

I'll have to get the rest of my lights out of storage and post some goodies.

And yes, CPF is kind of tough to deal with these days.

Enlightened
I liked the D10 (and the rest of that line) until the ones I had started crapping out. The switch mechanisms were bad so I just gave up on them. Never trust the plunger again.

Now the EA4 is a winner but let's ignore new lights.

Many of my older lights went to good use. I live in the part of Jersey that lost power for at least ten days when Sandy hit and "lent" many to my neighbors. Fortunately when I put a light in storage I installed lithiums and showed the folks how to conserve battery life. One method was to have them tell a kid "Tough, now it's all gone." when a kid killed a battery.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Archimedes on the Liteflux. I would also love to see an updated D10 or EX10. Thirdly, I think if Peak brought back the Matterhorn, but with the best LED possible, it would sell. Totally indestructible.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm with Archimedes on the Liteflux. I would also love to see an updated D10 or EX10. Thirdly, I think if Peak brought back the Matterhorn, but with the best LED possible, it would sell. Totally indestructible.

... and thanks for mentioning the Peak Matty :twothumbs :clap:

FREI

Newly Enlightened
I would lvoe to see the Longbows back (and the Alephs:D)

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I want a TK20, with a Nichia 219 LED, and three or four brightness levels. They could even use the LD20's UI.

....as for nostalgia, working security with a Task Force or Duracell Daylite (2c) and then upgrading to the LD20 Q5. Good times.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nuwai Q3. Luxeon ran on a RCR123 for 45 minutes. Bright for its day. This one fit nicely in my pocket until some dirt bag stole it from my car. The form factor was my fave. And it was the big thing here back in the day. Remember? Between party line phones and color TV all the day. :whistle: Or something like that.

bansuri

Enlightened
I have to break the 2 limit request, I've been in nostalgia mode lately.
Been hunting for an Arc4+ to mod.
Still use the TK-20, it's a great 2xAA to have hanging around. Non-flashoholics can use it without confusion and the diffuser is nice for walking with the kids on Halloween.
An Arc LS w/flush switch or twisty would be nice with updated emitter and driver.
I still like the CMG Infinity original style. V2 isn't a bad light, but I prefer the simplicity and keychain lug of the first version.
Still hoping that some wealthy flashoholic will buy Liteflux and revive the brand.
+1 on the Longbow, a great canvas for modders, nice sturdy twisty.

If you haven't checked it out, CPF Marketplace occasionally has some of these old beauties.

jds1

Newly Enlightened
This one.

ezudy4yn.jpg

Or any of these.

2asunaha.jpg

Jeff

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I will second the Surefire L1. I just think it's such a cool light. By today's standards it is a bit dim but man does it have some cool points :)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, let's go back a bit furthur.
Is it a table leg or a flashlight?
How about the Pentagon lights?
Yes, the Xenon is a bit outdated.
DSC01148_zps8ac59df5.jpg

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
I just resurrected my E2E with a Malkoff and wow! Flashlight love all over again! The e2e was really my first high power flashlight and the one That started the addiction! Awesome to breathe new life back into it!

billbebob

Newly Enlightened
As some one mentioned earlier, a TK 20 with a Nichia 219 LED would be sweet! Also I agree about the surefire L1 another classic gone by the wayside:(