Not so "LITTLE NELLIE" flashlight at Canadian Tire

SemiMan

Banned
Didn't have my phone so sorry no picture, but there was an "interesting" flashlight at Canadian Tire today.

Nothing on the CT web, but this is it: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...lashlight/_/N-25dr?itemIdentifier=554766_0_0_

The "LITTLE NELLIE"

It was approximately 18" long, and runs on 6D batteries.

Cree XPG

I think the claim was 200 or 250 lumens

Only one setting and a 3 hour runtime claim .... likely due to the crummy batteries it came with.

It was called a "Police Security" light and it was built very solid with a thick aluminum body. The weight was more baseball bat than flashlight. You would do some serious damage to someone if you hit them with it.

HOW WAS THE LIGHT OUTPUT?

Absolutely the tightest spot I have seen outside of an aspheric design and I would say the lumen claim was accurate. I would estimate the spot size as 8" at 15 feet.

There was a frame around the LED and inside the base of the reflector that ensure the LED was perfectly centered.

I you are at a Canadian Tire check it out and please post some pics.

Semiman

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so weak, here it is. Claims 200 lumens
null-36.jpg

6D and seems to unthread in the middle, under the "police security" logo
null-37.jpg

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was killing time in CanadianTire, and saw it. I figured its cheap and I didn't need another tape measure... :naughty: did I mention I'm weak

SemiMan

Banned
Look forward to some night beam shots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw one of these at an Autozone across the street from me. I ended up getting a 3D light they had on closeout for $10.00 rated at 280 lumens and this one had a low setting. I may end up trying one of the 6D models. It looked to be pretty well made, but I was a bit surprised it was not brighter than 200 lumens.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the money a Defiant Superthrower is a better value and has better output. This little Nellie is a good balance between a flashlight and a baseball bat ;)
it makes good use of the 200 lumens, I thought it would have a much longer runtime.
Im getting ready for big valley jamboree so I haven't had time to throw up any beam shots. Playing with it in the garage briefly the other day, I'd guess it at 20-30k lux by my eyeball

SemiMan

Banned
The batteries it came with were super cheap so not surprised out of the gate runtime would be bad. Have you opened the electronics to see if it can be hotrodded?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The temptation was too great!! Just went by Autozone on my way home and picked one up! I heard the "voices" in my head when I got too close to the store!! :nana: If you think it is heavy with the cheap batteries that came with it, you should feel it after 6 Eveready alkalines are put in it!! :devil: The only flaw is a few marks on the lens, but that was probably because of the way it was packaged. The piece of cardboard that was used to hang it on the peg apparently rubbed up against the lens and scratched it. The other one they had was way worse! Mine is a bit different form the OP's as it does not say "Little Nellie" on it. It also stated that it ran 6 hours, not 3. Otherwise, it is the same light. I will fully test it this evening.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
it makes good use of the 200 lumens, I thought it would have a much longer runtime.

I'm not sure what kind of batteries it uses. But if they're heavy duty, I can see runtime being rather poor. Of course, the driver could be inefficient as well. I have a 4AA light that produces around 200 lumens, and runs for three hours with 2000mAH Duraloops. This thing should DEFINITELY outdo that, even with alkalines.

I have to wonder how the heatsinking is on this thing and how the driver is mounted. Makes me wonder whether this light might make the PERFECT long runtime NiMH MT-G2 host.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
And does double duty for softball

david57strat

Enlightened
It's such a gynormous light, to have so little output (considering its size); but hey.....if it floats your boat, I'm happy for you. Enjoy. Seriously.

Last year, I installed a 1000 lumen TerraLux TLE-310 upgrade in my 6D Maglite, which I had owned for at least the past ten years or so, but almost never used, since my little Pelican 2320 - even with the incandescnet bulb - outshined it). That upgrade provided a vast improvement over the funky little incandescent bulb it had previously. It's almost entirely flood, to be honest - probably more like 600 actual OTF lumens, rather than the claimed 1000 (those were probably emitter lumens), but a huge improvement, all the same.

Claimed regulated run time is two hours, on high, and six on medium.

It is extremely klunky, though, and probably weighs close to four pounds, with D batteries; so it rarely gets used, or even carried - which just goes to show just how much the technology has improved by leaps and bounds, during the past ten years. Still - it's a piece of history for me, dating back to when I was carrying nothing other than Maglites), and with an upgrade that makes it actually still usable, even if a bit awkward lol.

I'd probably (in the near future) install this upgrade module into a smaller Mag - maybe an older 4D incandescent, and customize the 6D with something more powerful/throwy.

It'd be great to see outdoor beam shots of this light, if you could post them. Thanks!

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One interesting thing to note is if you screw off the extender, hold the cap on the rear of the light, the light will still come on using just three batteries. There is also no difference in brightness when I do this. If I had a cap that fit I would be able to use this with three cells.