NovaTac 120T & 120P arrived!! MORE Photos!!

StuGatz

Enlightened
The larger sized bezels that had been purchased for the HDS lights fit the NovaTac EDC perfectly as well.

Stuart

DM51

Flashaholic
Stuart, that is amazing news that the old HDS tubes will fit the new Novatacs. After all the statements to the contrary, the rumour, counter-rumour, speculation etc etc, it is GREAT to hear this. Many thanks again for your very informative posts.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Cave Dave on gripes 1,2 and 5. Haven't done 3 & 4 yet. The tint on my 120P is slightly purplished when compared to my B42 XRGT & later model U60, but won't be a factor during uses. Good to know that the HDS tubes are compatible, but I will EDC in OEM form. Maybe someone can confirm, but I think the diameter is a tad larger than the HDS. I use a translucent water bottle cap to protect the lens and to diffuse the light on my B42. It's a snug fit but the same cap seems to be a tight fit on the 120P.

Also, comparing the 120P max setting with the Lumapower D-Mini on high (OP reflector), the latter was brighter. However, the 120P has the other settings that make it, IMO, a good general purpose light. Hope y'all get yours.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
One note about the extended tube. I put mine on and when I set my light down, the slightest bump on to the tail end of the light on a hard surface caused the light to dim. Anyone else experience this?

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I did the battery detect reset with a fully charged rcr123 and it was kinda confusing but finally got it right (I hope).

One other thing I found out (don't know if anyone else had tried it) in the simple momentary mode, is that if you press the switch twice fairly quickly in succession, you can access the "maximum" setting; let go and it turns off. I like this feature. I tried doing it for the other settings but only max comes on. HDS does not have this feature, it merely turns the light off (I tried it on the HDS before getting the P120).

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't think the new nova tac head can take more the 4 or so vts becarefull with them tubes

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS tube will fit on the Novatac, but not vice versa when I tried it. Do all the Novatac tubes have a really really thin lip at the end of the battery tube. It seems like a bad design or a machining flaw.

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Do the ti bezels fit.

3B9M00IpRTVtM-V1QVH6gX7aRFg+lLRp0190.jpg

They fit just fine :) and seem to increase the light output???
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171742

Terry

StuGatz

Enlightened
I'm thinking that a couple of screw holes (for the original style HDS clip or one of the aftermarket Ti clips) on the section where the activation button is located might be perfect for people that prefer the bezel down carry.

I'm not sure if the body walls on that section are thick enough but that would be a big step to make this light perfect. It might be better to run the drill/tap holes closer to the HDS design and use one of the reverse/double aftermarket clips.

Perhaps something similar to the clip mount on the bottom or left side of the photos...

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

Best regards,

Stuart

DM51

Flashaholic
It will be a brave man who first drills those holes to take the old clips.

Stuart, your 120T looks nice with the Ti bezel on it. I think I'll wait a while before fitting one on mine - I want to give it a proper road-test first to make sure there are no other issues with it before I risk voiding the warranty.

StuGatz

Enlightened
Outstanding to see that some (qualified) folks have started to modify this new light so soon.

BTW... I'm not personally satisfied with the handgun grip that the company suggested but that is a personal opinion.

Stuart

Last edited:

StuGatz

Enlightened
Just for info... and for the benefit of anyone that has not already encountered this issue...

The 2X 123 HDS battery tube and quite possibly the 18650 battery tubes should NOT be used with the NovaTac lights. Apparently the extended HDS battery tubes will submit more than the 4.5 volts acceptable for the NovaTac lights.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2112164&postcount=4

If anyone has information to the contrary or just what negative reaction would occur with prolonged use of an extended tube for the NovaTac, please let us know.

Best regards,

Stuart

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for info... and for the benefit of anyone that has not already encountered this issue...

The 2X 123 HDS battery tube and quite possibly the 18650 battery tubes should NOT be used with the NovaTac lights. Apparently the extended HDS battery tubes will submit more than the 4.5 volts acceptable for the NovaTac lights.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2112164&postcount=4

If anyone has information to the contrary or just what negative reaction would occur with prolonged use of an extended tube for the NovaTac, please let us know.

Best regards,

Stuart
Howdy Stuart, while I'm certainly no expert in this area, I was under the impression that the HDS battery tubes pose no danger in themselves, but that it was important to make sure that only batteries with a total voltage of 4.5volts or less should be inserted into them when being used with the Novatac lights, which can accept 1.8-4.5 volts according to published specs..

So, I think a 17670 (?) cell fits the 2x123 tube, and since it should present a 3.7-4.2 voltage, it should work fine with the Novatac..... and as far as I know, most 18650 cells are 3.7-4.2 volts also... so again, they should pose no problems when used singly with an HDS 18650 tube... as I believe the Novatac is actually rated up to 4.5 volts.. so a nice extra measure of headroom to boot.

The problem with using the 2x123 tube, of course, is that one might forget and inadvertently put in two CR123 or RCR123 cells (6 V and 7.4-8.4 V total respectively).... which is probably why Novatac won't be offering that type of tube.

Anyway, I could easily be wrong about this, but those were my impressions from reading lots of threads here on CPF.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Stuart, while I'm certainly no expert in this area, I was under the impression that the HDS battery tubes pose no danger in themselves, but that it was important to make sure that only batteries with a total voltage of 4.5volts or less should be inserted into them when being used with the Novatac lights, which can accept 1.8-4.5 volts according to published specs..

So, I think a 17670 (?) cell fits the 2x123 tube, and since it should present a 3.7-4.2 voltage, it should work fine with the Novatac..... and as far as I know, most 18650 cells are 3.7-4.2 volts also... so again, they should pose no problems when used singly with an HDS 18650 tube... as I believe the Novatac is actually rated up to 4.5 volts.. so a nice extra measure of headroom to boot.

The problem with using the 2x123 tube, of course, is that one might forget and inadvertently put in two CR123 or RCR123 cells (6 V and 7.4-8.4 V total respectively).... which is probably why Novatac won't be offering that type of tube.

Anyway, I could easily be wrong about this, but those were my impressions from reading lots of threads here on CPF.
Yes, thats the way I understand it too. A Lithium Ion has a fully charged voltage of 4.2v(RCR123,14500,17670,18650...)the difference being the Mah rating,the bigger the number the longer the runtimes. The thing is if they go by the logic that you can't make an 18650 tube because someone will put 2 RCR123's in it, then you can't make a 2 AA tube because someone might put 2 14500's in it.:shakehead

Last edited:

StuGatz

Enlightened
Derek and Steve,

Thank you gentlemen… That helps to alleviate some apprehension regarding this issue on my part.

Best regards,

Stuart

ensile

Enlightened
I will order one now, because those stainless bezels are very nice, can I ask who made those?

...I hope lighthound has stock :popcorn: