Novatac Quality Issue thread - The Bad and The Ugly.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I better start an entire thread for those that have issue with the latest Novatac rather than multiple threads.

I have received my 85P today from Lighthound and have noticed a few issues.

1. Two dirty speckles on the SSC LED.
2. The tail cap is sticky with area that lost its shine. There is a strong glue smell. I will post some photos tonight when I get home.

85p.jpg

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Novatac Quality Issue thread.

Fortunately the only quality issue I have so far is the uneven anodizing. I expected a little mismatch but the "waist" part of my light is significantly darker than the head and tail. It's not a huge deal for me because I have not had any of the problems others have had.
My reflector and emitter are clean, emitter is centred, so far have not seen any unexplained flickering, and the beam quality and colour are great. As an aside, it's not a quality issue per se but like many others here I think a better clip is needed.

Last edited:

ScottyJ

Enlightened

I got 3 of the 120p's from lighthound, the quality to me seemed very good. However, two of the lights had problems with the LED not being centered in the reflecter, causing a slight purple spot on the beam and a little ring. I just took them apart and centered the LED and know the beams are great.

Not a huge deal, but for the money they ought not to come that way. Overall, I like them and I really like the UI, it is much easier to go through levels and functions.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing I do whenever I receive a new light is clean the threads and re lubricate the threads and O-Rings with m favorite lube MAGNALUBE. The stuff is great.
The odor you smell may be from the packaging The foam may be out gassing. My flashlight has no odor.
In terms of specs of dust or lint on the emitter... Not to defend Novatec or anything but it is well known that the Seoul emitter is a dust magnate. I doubt they assemble these in a clean room (like the gatlights are) So a spec of dust mad it's way to the emitter. Heck this is a whole lot better than the Luxeon emitters which when a slight pressure from a reflector is applies a silicone gooo would escape and sometimes tumble around the reflector until it stuck to something.
If you are concerned with the dust go to a dust free zone ( a relatively new car stationary with the air on for a little while is a good place) remove the bezel and "lens" and use a low power compressed gas to blow the dust from within the reflector chamber. That should do it. Those tiny dust particles have 0 effect of the operation of the light or the quality of the beam.

When it comes to the finish of the flashlight... I have some knowledge in this area and here is what I have noticed and how it relates to what I know about the process.
My Novatec finish is ok. As far as type III finishes in a "natural color are concerned IMHO I would say that the finish is not quite up to the type III standard that I am used to seeing on flashlights. Variations are natural and are a part of the manufacturing process...at least that is what Novatac will tell you.

My light also is made of at least two different colors. The center piece being the darkest. IMHO there is absolutely no reason for color mismatches or tint variations. I have done a fair amount of anodizing work and it almost always is consistent from part to part and even from batch to batch.
That said The work needed to insure tint and consistency may be more than Novatac is willing to do. I work very closely with my anodizers to insure consistency between batches and parts.

The point is that none of this will have an negative effect on the operation or durability of these flashlights. IMHO it tends to add some character to the lights. I also noticed the Dark bezel which is stainless steel. I sent an e-mail to Novatac asking about how this finish is achieved out of interest. No reply yet.
Novatac has now most likely made 100's if not 1000's of these lights by now. The irregularities in finish is considered to be normal by some. It is OK. Dust and particles in the reflector emitter chamber are less tolerable. Grit and rough mating of threads is not tolerable in flashlights in this class. After all they are not Cheap Asian mass made flashlights. (though it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that the source of the machined parts was an overseas machine shop. Other Famous and well respected "made in the USA" flashlights do utilize the (more inexpensive than in the USA) services of machine shops in Taiwan and other Asian work for hire centers.

All in all considering the fact that these lights cost around $100.00 less than the previous HDS offerings, I consider them to be of good value and of good quality construction and materials. Variations are normal as are doun right DUDS. If you receive such a light I am sure an e-mail to NOVATAC will yeild an invitation to send the light back to NOVATAC for replacment.
Yaesumofo

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my first 120P from Lighthound. Reflector and emmiter had lube on them :(
Lighthound sent a replacement...that one was even worse.
There was even more lube on the reflector and the led was way off center.

Ended up keeping the original, but had to do alot of cleaning and centering...just isn't the same as having a new clean light.

LA OZ

Enlightened

I have managed to clean the two dark spots on the SSC. I may tried nail polisher remover to clean away the sticky glue on the tail cap tonight.

FASTCAR

Banned

I stated in 3 threads that I did not like mine, it was overpriced and had several issues.I see more and more problems by the day.:poke:

ensile

Enlightened

dont lead me to believe inova out-source machining.

ive owned a bunch and those threads are bank vault precise. I wish i knew what lube Mr DaveSevvvvens uses, the p2dq2se had this amazing stuff on it, much better than the so called "Awesome" teflon gear i had. .

:p

I am about a hairs width from ordering one, this thread, SUPRISINGLY ;) has not helped sway me toward a buy.... oh just need a sign.

BBL

Enlightened

I stated in 3 threads that I did not like mine, it was overpriced and had several issues.I see more and more problems by the day.:poke:
Would you mind posting those issues you had here?

issues with my 120P - all those are barely worth to mention

- lettering is not centered inside the flat sections
- lettering comes of until it is only very slightly visible
- off center emitter
- dust on the emitter
- little lube on threads/o-rings from factory

All in all the light works great

turbodog

Flashaholic

The retention ring on the bottom side of the module came loose and my entire module was just sliding around inside the light.

Tuna

Newly Enlightened

Recently got the EDC 120T from lighthound. After less then a week of use it will not go to its brightest setting. It just flickers for a bit and goes to a low setting. (yes, tried several new batteries with the same result). The 120T version is supposed to go to its max setting on the first click. Now it won't even click to its max setting anymore. There is nothing tactical about a light that fails to work when you need it most. Very disappointed...:thumbsdow

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

What did Novatac say when you reported your problem to them?
Yaesumofo

Recently got the EDC 120T from lighthound. After less then a week of use it will not go to its brightest setting. It just flickers for a bit and goes to a low setting. (yes, tried several new batteries with the same result). The 120T version is supposed to go to its max setting on the first click. Now it won't even click to its max setting anymore. There is nothing tactical about a light that fails to work when you need it most. Very disappointed...:thumbsdow

LA OZ

Enlightened

Damn, after playing with it a while, it is not working. I have loosen it and tighten it again. It give me a flash and blink a few times and it turned off. This is a pain as I have never experience something like this before with other torches. Pressing the button does nothing now.

Edit.
--------------------------------------------
Ok, I have found out a few things tonight:

1. If the bezel ring is loose, it flicker and may even stop firing up.
2. If you tighten the bezel too much, the black epoxy may get squeezed into the reflector/led.
3. Take care to reposition the reflector when tightening as the led may become off centred. You could reposition the reflector only when you have loosen the reflector o-ring.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

This thread is not good reading...two full-on failures in the first week. :(

I haven't even recieved mine yet...I hope it doesn't act like this!

CFU

xiaowenzu

Banned

This thread is not good reading...two full-on failures in the first week. :(
The failures are a drop in the ocean of success. You have to remember most of these incidents stems from people trying to pry the Novatac apart for modding. It's not meant to be taken apart by the end user! :laughing: It's a 'fully sealed system':crackup:

daveman

Enlightened

How dare you...

Honestly, man, you should becareful in your criticism of novatacs or SFs, there are a couple of DIEHARD trolls who just will not stop hounding you till you eat your words.

cslinger

Enlightened

I have received two examples and have no problems to report. I think they are great lights, they are my perfect light HDS/Nova. That being said its hard to argue with the performance to the dollar the Fenix P2D gives you.

At any rate I am a happy camper.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you trolling or are you serious? The issues I have read about are just happening with normal use and the only "prying" happening are people unscrewing (by hand) a bezzel ring to either recentre a reflector that should have been centred or cleaning the reflector and emitter which should already be clean. Doing either of these things is not going make the light flicker unexplainably or suddenly stop working and if it did then it wouldn't be much of light.
I hope the military and law enforcement are not receiving lights from the same production run as CPF'ers are receiving. I would hate to think that a soldier or police officer could experience any kind of light failure in the situations they are in.
So far mine is working propoerly and I really like it but I am kind of diappointed that there are any issues at all. Are these really the lights they supply to the military and law enforcement or did they have a separate lower cost production run for the civilian market?

The failures are a drop in the ocean of success. You have to remember most of these incidents stems from people trying to pry the Novatac apart for modding. It's not meant to be taken apart by the end user! :laughing: It's a 'fully sealed system':crackup:

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Damn, after playing with it a while, it is not working. I have loosen it and tighten it again. It give me a flash and blink a few times and it turned off. This is a pain as I have never experience something like this before with other torches. Pressing the button does nothing now.

Edit.
--------------------------------------------
Ok, I have found out a few things tonight:

1. If the bezel ring is loose, it flicker and may even stop firing up.
2. If you tighten the bezel too much, the black epoxy may get squeezed into the reflector/led.
3. Take care to reposition the reflector when tightening as the led may become off centred. You could reposition the reflector only when you have loosen the reflector o-ring.
Have you tightened the center.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing I do whenever I receive a new light is clean the threads and re lubricate the threads and O-Rings with m favorite lube MAGNALUBE. The stuff is great.
The odor you smell may be from the packaging The foam may be out gassing. My flashlight has no odor.
In terms of specs of dust or lint on the emitter... Not to defend Novatec or anything but it is well known that the Seoul emitter is a dust magnate. I doubt they assemble these in a clean room (like the gatlights are) So a spec of dust mad it's way to the emitter. Heck this is a whole lot better than the Luxeon emitters which when a slight pressure from a reflector is applies a silicone gooo would escape and sometimes tumble around the reflector until it stuck to something.
If you are concerned with the dust go to a dust free zone ( a relatively new car stationary with the air on for a little while is a good place) remove the bezel and "lens" and use a low power compressed gas to blow the dust from within the reflector chamber. That should do it. Those tiny dust particles have 0 effect of the operation of the light or the quality of the beam.

When it comes to the finish of the flashlight... I have some knowledge in this area and here is what I have noticed and how it relates to what I know about the process.
My Novatec finish is ok. As far as type III finishes in a "natural color are concerned IMHO I would say that the finish is not quite up to the type III standard that I am used to seeing on flashlights. Variations are natural and are a part of the manufacturing process...at least that is what Novatac will tell you.

My light also is made of at least two different colors. The center piece being the darkest. IMHO there is absolutely no reason for color mismatches or tint variations. I have done a fair amount of anodizing work and it almost always is consistent from part to part and even from batch to batch.
That said The work needed to insure tint and consistency may be more than Novatac is willing to do. I work very closely with my anodizers to insure consistency between batches and parts.

The point is that none of this will have an negative effect on the operation or durability of these flashlights. IMHO it tends to add some character to the lights. I also noticed the Dark bezel which is stainless steel. I sent an e-mail to Novatac asking about how this finish is achieved out of interest. No reply yet.
Novatac has now most likely made 100's if not 1000's of these lights by now. The irregularities in finish is considered to be normal by some. It is OK. Dust and particles in the reflector emitter chamber are less tolerable. Grit and rough mating of threads is not tolerable in flashlights in this class. After all they are not Cheap Asian mass made flashlights. (though it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that the source of the machined parts was an overseas machine shop. Other Famous and well respected "made in the USA" flashlights do utilize the (more inexpensive than in the USA) services of machine shops in Taiwan and other Asian work for hire centers.

All in all considering the fact that these lights cost around $100.00 less than the previous HDS offerings, I consider them to be of good value and of good quality construction and materials. Variations are normal as are doun right DUDS. If you receive such a light I am sure an e-mail to NOVATAC will yeild an invitation to send the light back to NOVATAC for replacment.
Yaesumofo
Hi how do you know the bezel is stainless.if it is i would like to get the black stuff off.saves me buying a ss bezel which BTW is my only dislike the black bezel.cheers

Last edited: