Nvidia recalling Shield 8" tablets due to thermal runaway in battery

Wurkkos

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nvidia recalling Shield 8" tablets due to thermal runaway in battery

Got mine ordered up yesterday afternoon.

I'm thinking if old is taken off line, they can't remote nuke it though it still leaves you with a questionable cell pack tablet.
I Charge mine with fans blowing on it, unsure what course I'll take once replacement arrives.

Ooh, this tablet is called the shield as it has a metal shield of sorts inside as frame and barrier from quad cpu furnace and battery.
It's my favorite small tablet, still using, just shut down radio and cool when charging.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned early on when running heavy game like Half life, it could get warm, that was GPU. It got hotter then cell charging alone, but do both an its hot. Never put temp gauge to it.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I'm a bit stubborn and I'm still using the tablet.
Surfing forums on it here today, plugged in topping off poly...and I can hear this sound. Idk sounded like a thermos type cup that had a fresh hot coffee in an is slightly venting pressure I guess.

I ignore it as that is exactly what is sitting to my side on bench.
Surfing away, have a drink or try to an I realize I've drank all my once warm coffee an its empty. But I still hear the noise.
Well I'll be, if it's not the tablet I'm typing this on in my hands.
It is, just slightly warm, CPU is turned to optimal, GPU with all its crazy Kepler goodies are idle, its the cell or a capacitor hissing away.

Needless to say I've unplugged an am keeping a steady load on it just fine.
I can't wait til new tablet arrives, I'll salvage screen an case, main board an such from this one. Junk the pack after.
If she swell and splits like horse that got the oats an drank water,
it is what it is, if not I'll have me extras.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
New replacement arrived today, posting from it.
Old one, while it whistles like a kettle when charging without a load is still OK too.☺
I don't dare game on it however lol, them GPU get toasty consuming that much power, it's where an when I think original run away issue happened.
Two tablets, one can never go online again.
Good for memory card movies etc yet I figure, idk.😰

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, new tablet is great!
They boosted volume output, tested tablet on NFS:Most Wanted and found I ran twenty races before noticing volume was bothering folks outside, kind of lol.
The battery hold up better, it shouldn't be any different but it seems to take the hit from the GPU much better then old one.
Heat is reduced, metal shield inside is a nice touch.

Then last night I saw short clip of new Acer Predator!
That looks crazy crazy.
Still loving this tablet, Folks are stunned when they see Half Life or Portal being played on it.
Not the best anymore, but still kicks.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new tablet whistles too while on charger and power draw is low from user input at full charge.
Good grief Nvidia.
Bliss is fleeting.