Off the grid power options

XTAR Light

Manufacturer
When taking about generating off grid power, there are some common methods that can combine to generate the energy you may need off the grid. For example:

*Solar energy
Undoubtedly, the solar energy is the most common source of natural, renewable energy. The solar solution combines a portable power station with solar panels. It converts sun energy captured by solar panels into electrical power and then stores it in a portable power station for later use. The solar energy is a reliable and clean power source for campers, RVs, or as an emergency backup if your power goes out.

*Wind power
Wind energy turns the motion of air into electricity using a turbine and generator. Wind moves the blades of the turbine, causing the internal generator to spin and produce electricity, which is fed into the system demanding energy. Turbines require regular maintenance and upkeep due to their moving parts, and they are only a good option for those residing in windy climates.

*Micro-hydro energy
Also known as water-based energy, it utilizes the natural cycles of precipitation, running rivers and streams, and ocean tides. Like wind-sourced off-grid energy, hydro electric power often uses turbines to harness the power inherent in moving water. As such, the machinery involved requires upkeep and maintenance. Because water is everywhere and keeps running, it may be a good alternative energy option as it provides constant, ongoing supplies of power.

Besides, there are different generators available, though some of them are not considered renewable, they can offer a convenient back-up for the power supply. And kinds of battery banks also help to store energy. So what power supply do you usually prepare, for living the off grid home, or plan a RV camping for several days, or just for emergency preparation?

ikanode

I've thought about a bicycle generator for charging phones and lights. I've seen them from 10 to 500 watts.

There are K-Tor Power Boxes that have pedals to eliminate the need for a bike.

Poppy

CPF Supporter
So what power supply do you usually prepare, for living the off grid home, or plan a RV camping for several days, or just for emergency preparation?
These actually are three different scenarios.
1. for an off-grid home, I imagine that I would set it up with solar and batteries for storage. I don't have an off grid home, so there is little I know about them nor specifically how I would set it up. It is possible that the battery cost may be prohibitive for a occasional use off grid home. However if it is a all year dwelling, that is a different story.
Certainly there would be generator back up.

2. RV Camping for several days, likely means more of the comforts of home. Possibly, air conditioning, lights, refrigeration, cable, or satellite TV. That requires an on board generator, or a campground hook-up.

3. emergency preparation:
For a few hours, all one needs is a battery operated radio, and some lights, and possibly a battery pack to recharge cell phones. After that though, food may start to spoil in the refrigerator, and start to thaw in the freezer. Also the house may get uncomfortably hot or cold.
I have gone with a super quiet inverter generator.
I have many 18650 XML2 lights, a number of 3D cell lanterns, and a dozen or so battery packs. I also have a number of 18V Ryobi tool battery packs that can be used to power a radio, a lantern, or tools, or to act as a battery pack to recharge cell phones or lights.

nollij

I've thought about a bicycle generator for charging phones and lights. I've seen them from 10 to 500 watts.

There are K-Tor Power Boxes that have pedals to eliminate the need for a bike.
Was just checking out the K-Tor Power boxes on their website. Any experience with these? Looks like a good option for when there's no sun or you need to stay inside but I have no experience with them to know how well they really work