Oh Boy a New Toy!!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dana(phred),
Yanks may have difficulty getting this LED torch since it's maker is overseas. NRC regs may ban this as an import. My suggestion at the SF forum was a very casual one and they may have simply "blown it off." The logistics of working with Tritium may not be worth it to Surefire because an inspector, a Fed, will need to be either "housed" in the manufacturer's facility or visit it frequently. Too much red tape for many businesses to cope with. ...understandably. I might contact a company that specializes in that product to see if they would consider installing dots or bars (as in the type used in sights installed by custom pistolsmiths) in say a M2, 3, 4, or 6. (Rumor is that a M8 already exists.)

David,
Man, this is off topic. Feel free to move my posts from this thread.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
KT. Again you mirror my thoughts. I also was thinking of bars(larger surface area). I'm in touch with Robar at this time about some mods to my 9mm(Novac night sights,stippling, np-3 and roguard finish). I can ask about bars for sale. I know I can mill out a slot or four in a M3 and epoxy them in. I don't think that this thread was out of line at all. It was a good idea to involve CPF members in this for the input and opinions that they have. Again to repeat, if anybody in Europe wants to help, maybe the favor can be reciprocated. (wink). KT, I'll let you know what I can find.
...dana....
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Wonder why the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has such a stick up their @$$ about tritium glow devices then.
confused.gif
???
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Traser themselves told me that the glowrings are ~5% above the acceptable radioactivity levels to *formally* export to the USA.

The light giving element is a tube about 1.8mm round, sealed into a 10mm square rectangle of acrylic. Tough stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
............ Again to repeat, if anybody in Europe wants to help, maybe the favor can be reciprocated. (wink).
...dana....
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Traser "live" not too far from me ......
What were you thinking of ?

lightlover
cool.gif
frown.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

phred,
Please keep me informed. My SF M2 should arrive shortly. It might be a good platform for Tritium bars.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
[QBMore recently I found a 6ft long plastic drain pipe, not seethrough like the Tube but still usable- if I blocked one end and filled it with water[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if the PVC used for making toilet pipe (DWV) could withstand a 6' to 7' column of standing water without bursting near the bottom.

There's always the old standby, cast iron, but after awhile you'd be dunking your flashlights into rusty water with that reddish brown rust "sludge" at the bottom.
But at least the pipe wouldn't burst or spring a leak until it was rusted almost completely through.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Something. My thinking may be a few degrees off center but here goes. Send you money(any form), Torches get sent to the U.S.A. as holiday gifts. Than if someone in the UK is in need of a gift for a birthday or holiday, it can be sent to them as a return thank you the same way. I am out of my league on this but I do not think gifts are taxed as are retail sale exports. Anyone?
shocked.gif

funk

Enlightened
I had a German professor tell me that there is a movement to ban LED's in Germany because of the potential damage to the cornea...... I was almost speechless - before I asked him if they were planning on banning the sun also.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
I wonder if the PVC used for making toilet pipe (DWV) could withstand a 6' to 7' column of standing water without bursting near the bottom.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
well I can tell you quite assuredly 3" (the actual opening measures a little wider) cellular core ABS schedule 40 pipe, used for sewers around here, will not burst with only 6' or 7' of water. I had to dig some up one day, and for fun we tried breaking into it with a 45lb. Makita electric jackhammer, and couldn't do it, just made dents on the outside...a clear acrylic tube would be far more fun though, you could see the bubbles rising
rolleyes.gif
, if any...

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since there seems to be some discussion about trying to check the depth rating of flashlights and building water columns with pvc pipe etc here is some food for thought...

It is much easier to take such equiptment to the local dive shop and let them do the test is a controlled situation using a pressurized chamber filled with water. At the "start" of every season, I have all my underwater camera housing checked, so no biggie to add a flashlight or two
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pooh:

It is much easier to take such equiptment to the local dive shop and let them do the test is a controlled situation using a pressurized chamber filled with water
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much does this kind of testing cost?

There's one shop here that does hydrostatic testing, but they're so far off the beaten path that even the bus doesn't go there.
frown.gif

So they won't do me any good.

Guess it's back to shopping for PVC toliet pipe for me. :-O

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure what toliet pipes are like in the US, but over here they are about 4 inches in diameter and the new stuff is made of rigid PVC with a ~3mm wall thickness- plenty strong enough to withstand tall water filled columns, even maybe 20ft or more. Of course should I get some of that for dunk testing, it would have to go outside as I wouldn`t want a huge column of water in here, especially if I made the cap to fit the bottom- it could break and flood this room :eek . There`s far too much electrical stuff in here, so I`d not want that!

I already have some ~2inch pipe, it`s quite thin walled stuff but hopefully should be OK- maybe down in the garage. That place floods when it rains anyway, a leaky "tube-of-Doom" wouldn`t matter.

shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PVC water pipe you find in hardware stores should be able to withstand a lot of pressure - Some people make spudguns out of it. Just make sure you seal the end properly! As for depth, the best I can do is 5' in a pool at our apartment complex.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harrkev:
Since it glows for 10 years without needing any external power source, it must use radioactive elements.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have usually tritium in it, with a half life of 11.7 years IIRC

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Is it safe???? I know that it is only neutorns being expelled, and that they are easily blocked, but there must be a reason that they are banned.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's no real technical reason. There are some things banned in any country for obscure reasons.
I know that the very good beta-lighted Suunto compasses and clinos are not available in the US now for a decade or so.

I don't know if I wrote that before in CPF but in former German Democratic Republic they had huge beta lights as an emergency light in their tanks. about 10cm (4 inches) in diameter. And there was an article in a military magazine about hazards through it. I tried to get this article some 17 years ago, but was not successful (I think most of you, if not all, have no idea what it meant to get something from eastern countries at this time).

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This does bring up a good question though. Are any of us reviewers or other folks equipped at all to test a flashlight to water depths of more than a foot or two?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can do it down to (real) 80m. I could do it deeper, but my depth gauge stops there, so I don't know how deep it is.
But I have only few lights at hand for testing.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much does this kind of testing cost?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are a good customer probably nothing. Tell them you will buy all your waterproof lights there in future .-)

Harrkev

Enlightened
Wonder why the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has such a stick up their @$$ about tritium glow devices then.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I suppose that you could buy 10,000 of then, extract the tritium, combine with oxygen, and then you have heavy water: perfect for starting your own nuclear weapons research lab!
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Concerning "beta" lights, there is a fishing tackle company called Wackerbaits - www.wackerbaits.com , which has them in their tackle section. I don't know how up to date the site is though.