OH MAN IT'S COLD!!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Wednesday it was record warm at nearly 60F,, by Friday morning the wind chill was biting at -30F

That's easily a 85F difference in how it felt outside in 72hrs*

*east central WI

That right there would be enough to break your spirit :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
That right there would be enough to break your spirit :)

+

it snowed in between that time period, so I got to use my Ariens snowblower {1981 ish},, that resets the spirit = :grin2:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snow is the $hit! Always gets me in a good mood and EVERYTHING is purdy with snow on top of it.
Plus, it tends to soften the temperature a little bit :)

Love that stuff!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Had a last reminder of why I like the climate here better than the last few days in Pittsburgh. It's nice to watch the snow fall, but wait til it sits in the road mixing with salt and sand.

SAM_2559.jpg

Geoff

nbp

Flashaholic
It was 60? That's not good. Do you have lots of slippery spots now?

Yes we do. I leave fairly close to Orbital. Tues was 60 and raining. Over night the temp dropped and by 9 am Wed. it was snowing. Snowed all afternoon, and the temp just kept dropping til it hit single digits, where it remained Thurs and Fri. Today's temp at least has two digits in it, and it's sunny, so not too bad.

Had a last reminder of why I like the climate here better than the last few days in Pittsburgh. It's nice to watch the snow fall, but wait til it sits in the road mixing with salt and sand.

SAM_2559.jpg

Geoff

My black Accord looks just like that. :sigh:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its getting cold outside.

Can not find the old cold weather thread so I'll start a new one.

Temperature map from 2013-12-06. Surprised nobody have mentioned the cold yet. There is usually a cold snap at the beginning of December. It is usually 2 or 3 days. This time the forecast is for 2 weeks.
2013-12-06temperaturemap_zps8a2c9c4b.png

I'm getting old. Having trouble walking any distance without running out of breath (Gotta learn to walk more slowly than I'm used to). Having trouble fighting the wind. Not sure what I'm gonna do when the snow starts coming down heavy.

'Local' weather office is no help. They will forecast 40 kph wind in 2 days. So I plan to stay indoors. 2 days later it is only 20 kph which I can handle. Can not plan for the next day, let alone for a week. Sigh.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Its getting cold outside.

ah well, we all get old(er). I suspect that you have the joys of lake-effect snow in Hamilton Ontario. Buffalo NY, near Hamilton, has unreasonable amounts of snow. Currently the temp on my large digital weather station in Minneapolis,MN reads minus 26.9 C, or translated, -16.4 F. no wind though. The same low temp is forecast in a week. Winter has arrived.

In a place I used to live in northern MN, the air temp currently is -20F with a wind chill of -38F, as reported on Weather.com. Up there we used to talk about our 20-20 weather. 20 below, 20 MPH wind. Enjoy balmy Hamilton....

In the lower 48 of the US, northern Montana is the scary place. Lows of minus 40 are common up there.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I gave my old thread a bump. Maybe a mod can put these posts in it. Thanks for getting us going. :)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a wimp compared to you guys up north. It's 22F here now and I'm about to freeze! :sick2:

I guess the fact that it was almost 80F a couple of days ago may have something to do with that :shakehead

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are still tougher than the denizens of Florida, Miami area. One told me that they put on their long-johns when the temp drops below 60F. For that matter, on the Caribbean Islands east of San Juan, such as St. Maarten, when it gets cold (sic) there, the girls put on their bikini tops while swimming or sitting on the beach.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's 1 degree F right now with a windchill of -13. :sick2:

No fair! I'll trade ya. I had to turn the AC on yesterday and no, I'm not kidding. It was warm as hell outside...

:(

My mom told me they had 20" of snow where she was in Sweden and she told me 'cause she knew that would pi$$ me off!

I WANT SNOW AND COLD! I have a 1600 sq ft house with a separate office. Who wants to trade homes? :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its ~ 60º F here.

:nana:

But we're supposed to get a blizzard tomorrow.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Dallas/Fort Worth area is sitting pretty at around 25F covered in 1-3" of sleet. This has largely ground organized civilization to a halt as the natives live in puckering white-knuckle fear of driving on the stuff - in spite of the fact that it's a semi-annual occurrence.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
26 degrees F here in Portland,OR.(the wind chill is 13 degrees F.)

Just got back from a walk down to Safeway.

So disgustingly cold.

I thought my nose hairs would freeze together.

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
For that matter, on the Caribbean Islands west of San Juan, such as St. Maarten, when it gets cold (sic) there, the girls put on their bikini tops while swimming or sitting on the beach.

That's too cold. :naughty:

~ Chance

Edit: 8:27pm 15 Degrees 5mph Wind. 73% Humidity.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my old thread a bump. Maybe a mod can put these posts in it. Thanks for getting us going. :)
Thanks nbp. Its not the same without the old posts to compare to.

No fair! I'll trade ya. I had to turn the AC on yesterday and no, I'm not kidding. It was warm as hell outside...
:(
I WANT SNOW AND COLD! I have a 1600 sq ft house with a separate office. Who wants to trade homes? :)
guiri where are you?

In Regina, the mercury dropped to a bitter -42 °C (-43.6 °F).

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Down here in Sub-Saharan (Austin)Texas we've got a real winter (35f or less) on our hands. All these folks down here know about ice is that you need to to make a margarita! Two weeks of biting cold make me home for Arkansas. In the meantime I've been running two Energizer Advanced lithium cells in my Solarforce. But next week I'm going to my 18650 cells, I need the long run time out on the flight lines. I'll using chemical heaters (hand warmers) to keep them at temp.
chiphead

nbp

Flashaholic
Well we had a blast of several inches of snow today with bad visibility and slippery roads and it didn't go well. We should be better at driving in snow but it's early in winter and a lot of people are just stupid. Several pileups involving 15-30 cars each just a few miles from my home. :shakehead