• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

OK it's been a few days.. general Lunasol talk

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys it has now been a few days. Certainly enough time to have used your new Lunasol flashlights quite a bit..I hope.

I have left the L27 at home each day this week since I received the L20. It has worked out very well.
I noticed the L20 is actually a very WHITE flashlight in the presence of Tungsten lighting. This makes it great for use on a film set.

I do like the smaller form factor of the L20 But I also still like the L27 size and beam very much.

I can't say that I love one more than another.
They seem to fall into different usage categories.
the L20 being most useful for short distance work especially the soft/low beam. The Hi is good for just about anything out to about 20 foot.
The L27 has the same great low (even better than the L20) and a high which is stronger giving it greater range.
Both lights are excellent general purpose utility flashlights.

I have no doubt that the lunasol platform has a great deal of potential. AS Utility flashlights they hold a great deal of pure usability. In fact they beg to be used.
As time marches on I would hope that Don is able to further develop the Lunasol concept. As is is it is a forced to be reached with. No other light that I have seen or have owned has so much easy to use utility. The two beam single light concept is in reality so simple. Don's execution of the Lunasol concept is very good indeed. I look forward to continued development. Don did just that with the original McLux PD concept. the Lunasol carries the PDs rather strong design DNA.
The McLux PD is a flashlight which has No Peer in terms of pure success. The Titanium versions have always sold out very quickly. Now the Lunasol has in it's special way replaced the McLux PD.

I meant to have an image for this post and I will stick a couple of very nice (IMHO) Lunasol images in the thread soon.
I look forward to seeing all of your images and ideas about how you have and will use the Lunasol in your life.
Yaesumofo

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm trying to retire from flashaholism and (famous last words) I hope to buy just one more high-end flashlight, a Lunasol, after my finances recover from some unrelated recent expenditures, before trying to call it quits. I think I'm more interested in the 27 than the 20. I'm not that crazy about "compromise" lights, those with beams halfway between flood and throw optimized. Right now in 123 lights I have two Mules for flood and a Spy 005 for throw. The LS27 tries to do a good job of both flood AND throw and while I haven't handled one yet, its size doesn't seem excessive for pocket carry compared to my clunky old cell phone or digicam that I carry in my pocket sometimes. (Is there a measurement of the outside front bezel diameter?). The LS20 seems to compromise on both flood and throw compared with the LS27, in order to be smaller. But I wonder whether a conventional reflector could have worked as well.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand what you mean.
The Lunasol 20 is NOT a comprimise light. Both of these lights have very good points and not many bad ones. They are good basic utility flashlights designed to work hard and last a long time. The Lunasol 20 is a light with a specific set of features. the wide angle/soft beam is great for short range close up work and night adjusted interior work. The Lunasol 27 has a LARGER soft/wide angle beam which is closer to the Mule than the Lunasol 20.
The one thing which could be considered a downside to the Lunasol 20 is the coolness of the beams. Alone I find them to be very white. They are especially nice if the ambient light is tungsten with a color temperature around 3300K.
The Lunasol 27 is a warmer light.

The Big advantage with the Lunasol 20 is that the hi beam is almost as bright as the Lunasol 27 and the head size is a BETTER fit to the pocket and the overall weight is less.
I have carried both lights on lanyards around my neck and the Lunasol 20 is easier to EDC.

In the end this is a very personal choice. You will have to get the light which works best for you. I highly recommend that you give both lights a try if possible before making a final decision.
Yaesumofo

I'm trying to retire from flashaholism and (famous last words) I hope to buy just one more high-end flashlight, a Lunasol, after my finances recover from some unrelated recent expenditures, before trying to call it quits. I think I'm more interested in the 27 than the 20. I'm not that crazy about "compromise" lights, those with beams halfway between flood and throw optimized. Right now in 123 lights I have two Mules for flood and a Spy 005 for throw. The LS27 tries to do a good job of both flood AND throw and while I haven't handled one yet, its size doesn't seem excessive for pocket carry compared to my clunky old cell phone or digicam that I carry in my pocket sometimes. (Is there a measurement of the outside front bezel diameter?). The LS20 seems to compromise on both flood and throw compared with the LS27, in order to be smaller. But I wonder whether a conventional reflector could have worked as well.

paulr

Flashaholic
I understand what you mean, and I agree, this is probably a classic CPF "buy both" situation. :D

the_Namja

Newly Enlightened
I would have to say that the Lunasol 27 would still be my favorite between the two (LS20 and LS27).

My main reason for this would have to be because I enjoy the Mule's flood light so much that I can't seem to let it go as part of my edc light. With the LS27 I can have a wide flood that is close enough to the Mule's flood that I can justify leaving the Mule on the bench while giving my LS27 some playtime.

The LS20 on the other hand does not provide the wide flood that I enjoy so much. Comparing the beams of the high and low of the LS20, they are about the same diameter thus lighting less of an area than I desire.

The slightly more bulkiness head of the LS27 is not a problem for me. I usually clip it to the outside of my pants anyways. Also, carrying the slightly larger head is better than carrying two lights to support the same needs. (mule + 1)

Of course, my thoughts are all based on my love for the Mule's WIDE flood.

Bottom line is for all-around general use, the LS27 covers a more range of needs than the LS20 but with a slightly larger head size. For better size for edc with some light compromises, the LS20 works great.

Even though I enjoy the LS27 more than the LS20, they are both superb first class lights. The majestic quality of these lights is the main reason why I love owning a McGizmo so much. Since quality and practicality are areas where I give most consideration to when buying a light, you really can't go wrong with any of McGizmos. It's just deciding which one you enjoy more and fits your lifestyle that is difficult. :D

Nam

Latest posts