Ok, so what is the best Long throw Cree light you can buy??

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
daveman said:
I agree with your take on the current state of LED throwers, except the P1D-CE driving the XR-E near its limit. I've read in another thread (I think the L1D LOD CE thread) that the P1D is only driving its led at ~800 mah???
Increasing the current from 800 mA to the rated LED maximum of 1A increases the light output by only about 20%. That's an increase in throw (the distance you can light objects at a given illumination intensity) of only about 10%. In other words, a light running the LED at 1A will illuminate objects at 110 feet at the same brightness as one running 800 mA will light objects at 100 feet. So you won't get much increase in throw by raising the LED current from 800 mA to maximum. You'll need some way to concentrate the beam more.

c_c

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some teaser specs? besides throw monster what else can you say? battery type, reflector or optic? regulated, variable brightness? etc.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teasing will come to an end momentarily - pics are uploading now. :)

-2XCR123A
-Collimated Optics
-Regulated
-Stepless Dimming
-Tactical Strobe

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
:dedhorse: <== Love the opportunity to use that emoticon :grin2:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that. I thought it was going to be an entirely new light, not a mod. The $65 difference over the stock VG is almost as much as the Ion's ($75) XR-E upgrade, which seems to me far too much cash for an emitter. $175 is right into Gladius territory, and even with the increase in output, the VG is no Gladius.

I, personally, believe that people who were already thinking of buying a VG might pay extra for the output boost, but if it wasn't already on the horizon, more lumens wouldn't justify the money.

I've said before that a flashlight is more than its emitter (although a good emitter helps, of course).

Sorry for the downer.

daveman

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
... $175 is right into Gladius territory, and even with the increase in output, the VG is no Gladius.
Doesn't the Striker throw farther than the Gladius :huh2: ?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see. The stock Striker VG, at $109, already out-threw and output more light than the Gladius, has all of the same features and you don't need another flashlight handy to change batteries. What's the Gladius got? A tailcap switch and you need 2 hands to change modes.

You're also missing that the Striker is made for security, police, etc where the Gladius is purely a soldiers tool and perhaps SWAT.

This special version of the Striker may be the brightest single LED light on the market currently, has all of it's stock features and will now not only beat the Gladius for throw and output it will CRUSH it.

Regarding the price, the raw parts cost alone is almost $20 before we ship the lights back and forth and Paul gets paid and we've got a fair of time into this project already. The price to CPF members, expected to be about 95% of the customers for this is $166.25 with free shipping, roll out the shipping and you're at say $158. In my mind a $49 premium is a damn good deal for 2 X the output and throw untouchable by anything but an HID and maybe some of the highest power incans.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Let's see. The stock Striker VG, at $109, already out-threw and output more light than the Gladius,
I've already said that that doesn't necessarily make a better flashlight. The Gladius can also go much, much lower than the VG, and putting a Seoul in the VG will only widen the gap.
MattK said:
has all of the same features
The Gladius can start its constant-on from its highest output, its lowest output, or the last output you used. It also seems to have better electronics, with smoother regulation and timed step-downs for extended use. It also has a depth rating of 50m.
MattK said:
and you don't need another flashlight handy to change batteries.
What's that supposed to mean? Does the Striker VG have a super-bright GITD around the opening of the battery tube?
MattK said:
What's the Gladius got? A tailcap switch
What's wrong with a (sealed, magnetic-activation) tailswitch? I like that sort of switch.
MattK said:
and you need 2 hands to change modes.
If by "you," you mean me, as in TigerhawkT3, then you're wrong. Perhaps YOU need two hands to change modes, but not everyone does.
MattK said:
You're also missing that the Striker is made for security, police, etc where the Gladius is purely a soldiers tool and perhaps SWAT.
I'm not a soldier, and I'm not on a SWAT team. I'm an armchair commando, a mall ninja. I'm certain that the Gladius would be perfectly suited to use by security or police officers.
MattK said:
This special version of the Striker may be the brightest single LED light on the market currently, has all of it's stock features and will now not only beat the Gladius for throw and output it will CRUSH it.
Yay! Good for it. When I want an ultra-bright Striker VG, I'll let you know.
MattK said:
Regarding the price, the raw parts cost alone is almost $20 before we ship the lights back and forth and Paul gets paid and we've got a fair of time into this project already. The price to CPF members, expected to be about 95% of the customers for this is $166.25 with free shipping, roll out the shipping and you're at say $158. In my mind a $49 premium is a damn good deal for 2 X the output and throw untouchable by anything but an HID and maybe some of the highest power incans.
$20 is a lot more reasonable, although the Fenix P1D-CE cost $20 more than the Lux P1D, and some people still thought that was too much. A mod adds significant cost, as you've just explained. (That mod won't void the manufacturer warranty, will it?)

Also, FR gave the Gladius 5 stars, while the VG received 4.5.

You don't need to convince me to buy one of these, which is fortunate, because I'm so happy with the Gladius that I don't think you could (especially now). Like I said, if someone wanted a Striker VG, they would probably consider the emitter upgrade.

I completely understand that you're very proud of the product you sell, but that's no reason to hurl inaccuracies at its competitors.

Don't be hatin'. :duck:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 - Your other post, 'it's no Gladius' reeked of snobbery and failed to make the case. If you're going to say something like that you have to back it up which at least you've made an effort to do here.

I have no desire to get into a pissing match with you but if you make a comment like that I have no choice but to state the advantages of my product.

Regarding the battery, the Gladius is very picky about how it is re-assembled and the battery change is far more difficult than it should be for a flashlight designed for life and death situations. I could change batteries in a Striker with my eyes closed.

Some people here prefer a tailcap switch and I was referring to what I see as one of the few 'advantages' of the Gladius. Thw 50M rating is pretty meaningless for most users. Anyone needing a dive light will have a real, dedicated dive light.

The P1D-CE was made as a production item in China. The Striger SSC P4 is being done as a post-production modification domestically. There is a sinificant difference in parts/labor/trasnportation cost between the two arrangements.

I don't hate the Gladius - or you - but if you're going to hurl snide, 'it's no Gladius,' remarks you need to be prepared for and should expect a certain type of response.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
A long time ago I thought about getting a LED Logic Striker-VG from batterystation.com. I had been thinking about a Gladius from brightguy.com. I saw that Quickbeam has the Striker-VG listed ahead of the Gladius on his list of "top picks" http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_top_picks.htm. He measured the throw of the Striker-VG at 6850 lux, and measured the Gladius at 3000 lux. I also found on the manufacturers' websites that the Striker-VG can run well on rechargeable batteries, but they warn against it with the Gladius. "Note: The Gladius is not designed to be used with rechargeable batteries." http://night-ops.com/Gladius-6V-LED.html . The prices on both of these have come down. Gladius is about $200 and the Striker-VG is about $110 on sale.

I decided not to get either flashlight. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get the lux @ one meter of the new Cree Striker. Maybe not.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
TigerhawkT3 - Your other post, 'it's no Gladius' reeked of snobbery
I'm sorry you feel that way. From what I've read, the Gladius is more high-end, but I haven't tried a VG myself. I'll see if someone can bring one along to the next CPF get-together in my area.
MattK said:
and failed to make the case.
I didn't describe how it's better in that first post because I thought it was obvious, but it seems not.
MattK said:
If you're going to say something like that you have to back it up which at least you've made an effort to do here.
I wish you would do the same. A lot of the things you said about the Gladius and its differences from the VG were incorrect.
MattK said:
I have no desire to get into a pissing match with you but if you make a comment like that I have no choice but to state the advantages of my product.
You always have a choice in that regard, just like you have a choice in whether to respect the opinions of others, and just like you have a choice in whether to make accurate statements.
MattK said:
Regarding the battery, the Gladius is very picky about how it is re-assembled and the battery change is far more difficult than it should be for a flashlight designed for life and death situations.
Dear lord, not this again. The Gladius's channels add ONE STEP to the procedure, and it takes about two seconds: Aligning the tailcap before tightening.
MattK said:
I could change batteries in a Striker with my eyes closed.
And I could do the same with the Gladius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaBLNw4ilY

I apologize for the amateurish angle and framing, but I'm a one-man operation. If it's requested, I'll have another go.
MattK said:
Some people here prefer a tailcap switch and I was referring to what I see as one of the few 'advantages' of the Gladius.
Okay, cool. :)
MattK said:
Thw 50M rating is pretty meaningless for most users. Anyone needing a dive light will have a real, dedicated dive light.
That rating is for atmospheric pressure outside the light. If you dropped it into water, there would be more pressure than if it was carefully submerged. IMHO, it certainly doesn't hurt to have good environmental protection.
MattK said:
The P1D-CE was made as a production item in China. The Striger SSC P4 is being done as a post-production modification domestically. There is a sinificant difference in parts/labor/trasnportation cost between the two arrangements.
Yep, a custom mod like this costs more. Very true.
MattK said:
I don't hate the Gladius - or you - but if you're going to hurl snide, 'it's no Gladius,' remarks you need to be prepared for and should expect a certain type of response.
So, is perceived snide a reason to start hating someone? I sure hope you don't start hating me or the Gladius.

I would NEVER have expected such a response from a business representative like yourself, but now I know better. I don't have a very positive opinion of negative campaigning, regardless of the source.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art - Hopefully we'll get some independent tests soon. :)

Tigerhawk - I don't hate you or the Gladius. I was merely stating the advantages of the Strijer in response to your original post which I felt to be a snide rejection with little basis in fact and experience.

You've just confirmed that you've never seen or handled a Striker in person - I think that speaks volumes.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Art - Hopefully we'll get some independent tests soon. :)

Tigerhawk - I don't hate you or the Gladius. I was merely stating the advantages of the Strijer in response to your original post which I felt to be a snide rejection with little basis in fact and experience.

You've just confirmed that you've never seen or handled a Striker in person - I think that speaks volumes.
LITTLE BASIS IN FACT? :hairpull: Have you been reading ANYTHING I said?

If I felt the VG was worth the money, I would have purchased one. I don't, so I haven't. I haven't seen anyone bring one to a get-together, either, but maybe someone has one handy. All I have to go on, therefore, is what I have gathered from other users here on CPF and at FR, which has convinced me that the Gladius is indeed superior to the Striker VG. Your obviously false statements are only reinforcing that conviction.

You've never mentioned whether you've tried a Gladius. Have you?

Does this mod void the warranty?

I wonder what this conversation would be like if you sold Mags. The mind boggles...

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if you're reading my posts; "in response to your original post which I felt to be a snide rejection with little basis in fact and experience."

Get it? The conversation is occuring sequentially so my replies come after your posts. I wasn't hating on it or you, I was responding to your 'it's no Gladius remark,' with a list of the advantages of the Striker vs the Gladius.

I have played with the Gladius many times. It's a very night light that costs too much IMO. We may even carry it at some time in the future.

Yes, technically pretty much any modification voids a manufacturers warranty but I'll be standing behind the modded lights. We will warranty them directly and will discuss that as needed. We're the US importer for LEDLogic and enjoy an excellent relationship with them.

What's gone wrong here is that you made what sounds like a condescending remark then acted surprised when I responded accordingly. Next time you choose to make a remark like that perhaps you'll state your case a bit more fully or a bit more tactfully.

I'm done talking about this here. If you want to take it to email or PM that's fine but I think we've cluttered this thread quite enough.