Ok, so what is the best Long throw Cree light you can buy??

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
I'm wondering if you're reading my posts; "in response to your original post which I felt to be a snide rejection with little basis in fact and experience."

Get it? The conversation is occuring sequentially so my replies come after your posts. I wasn't hating on it or you, I was responding to your 'it's no Gladius remark,' with a list of the advantages of the Striker vs the Gladius.

I have played with the Gladius many times. It's a very night light that costs too much IMO. We may even carry it at some time in the future.

Yes, technically pretty much any modification voids a manufacturers warranty but I'll be standing behind the modded lights. We will warranty them directly and will discuss that as needed. We're the US importer for LEDLogic and enjoy an excellent relationship with them.

What's gone wrong here is that you made what sounds like a condescending remark then acted surprised when I responded accordingly. Next time you choose to make a remark like that perhaps you'll state your case a bit more fully or a bit more tactfully.

I'm done talking about this here. If you want to take it to email or PM that's fine but I think we've cluttered this thread quite enough.
All right Matt, I'll meet you on the Mat. You've polluted this thread enough with your lies.

Meduza

Enlightened
I think that one of the best LED throwers today wouldnt be a Cree, but a Seoul version of Elektrolumens K2 Stunner...

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meduza said:
I think that one of the best LED throwers today wouldnt be a Cree, but a Seoul version of Elektrolumens K2 Stunner...
His new Stunner-XRE SuperTorch measures 16,200 lux at one meter. If it also had a low level I might be tempted.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

TigerhawkT3 said:
All right Matt, I'll meet you on the Mat. You've polluted this thread enough...

Dude, next time reach for D-E-C-A-F.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Please stop polluting this thread. :)

Hey that reminds me of a lame joke:

Do you know what kind of coffee they served on the Titanic?

Sanka *ba-dum CHSHH*

Last edited:

aml

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
All right Matt, I'll meet you on the Mat. You've polluted this thread enough with your lies.

what??? the WRESTLING mat?:confused: inviting physical confrontation??? calling people liars?

WTF is going on here? Is this type of behavior the NORM here at CPF???

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
aml said:
what??? the WRESTLING mat?:confused: inviting physical confrontation??? calling people liars?

WTF is going on here? Is this type of behavior the NORM here at CPF???

No not very typical but a factor that I truly believe has not been taken into account and REALLY does effect people more than most realize is FULL MOON MADNESS. And according to moonphase.com : Full Moon : 100% of Full Thu 1 Feb, 2007
Ask most law enforcement old timers if they don't see a lot more trouble on full moon days. :eeksign:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I haven't made myself clear. Read MattK's posts, then read mine. He says a lot of things about the Gladius that are simply false. Too bad he ignores most of what I post and latches onto trivialities.

aml, The Mat is a section of the Underground (a forum separate from but related to CPF) where CPFers hash out their issues. It's not an invitation to physical confrontation.

And yes, MattK lied. Several times. Please don't believe his lies - please.

EngrPaul, I'll overlook your rude post above in light of this thread. I can understand how you'd be upset about a perceived trashing of your project. Please understand that I have absolutely nothing against you or your mod; I'm sure it's a very nice mod and that you'll do exemplary work. I simply said that an increase in brightness doesn't, to me, make a Striker VG worth as much as a Gladius. Then, MattK jumped in with his pure poppycock. :shakehead

Even if you think I'm a "luna"tic (because of the full moon, right?), PLEASE try to verify (from outside sources, of course) what MattK and I each posted about the Striker VG and the Gladius. I'm sure you'll gain a better understanding of both lights, and that's what we're all here for.

BTW, I would guess that there's more "trouble" on moonlit nights because it's easier for the ne'er-do-wells to see what they're doing, or something like that.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, all I said was D-E-C-A-F. Haven't you found it yet? It's usually in the green or orange can.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, so polite. Imply that I'm some sort of buzzed-up druggie. Thanks.

And no, I don't drink coffee of any sort. I can't even bear the smell.

I've tried to be as nice and truthful as I can. MattK has done the opposite.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You started by saying "seems to me far too much cash for an emitter". I suppose in your case, Matt would be happy to ship you a $12 emitter with your $109 flashlight plus shipping.

I get PM's every day from people asking me to mod their flashlights for them. For money. Often "for whatever I want to charge them." I get so many I turn my PM's off once in a while. I've never modded a private individual's flashlight for them before.

Matt came to me and asked if I would upgrade the emitters on some flashlights to bump a well-made flashlight up to the new technology. He sent me a sample, and I was really impressed by what it does with the emitter upgrade. I agreed to build a limited run for a little while for those who are crazy about a far-throwing flashlight.

I don't really charge Matt that much, he pays for the emitters & supplies, the shipping to me and back, the phone calls to arrange and discuss the logistics, and he accepts the warranty responsibility for a modded light.

For all the work the two of us are doing for a few dozen flashlights, the price he is charging is not much. It compares favorably against many flashlights that perform less and cost more.

If Matt had his facts not exactly straight, maybe you shouldn't call them lies. That's certainly rude.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Looks like I haven't made myself clear. Read MattK's posts, then read mine. He says a lot of things about the Gladius that are simply false.
And yes, MattK lied. Several times. Please don't believe his lies - please.
TigerhawkT3, please point out exactly where MattK has lied. Not expressed a difference of opinion (e.g.: The Gladius can't be operated completely one-handed [maybe, for him, it can't], it is more difficult to change the batteries in the Gladius than the Striker VG), but out-right lied.

ISTM perhaps you're both over-stating your cases a bit? MattK perhaps in exaggerating the weakness' of the Gladius vs. the Striker VG (I wouldn't know, as both products are beyond my means and I haven't even read any Gladius reviews--I'm just guessing), and you in exaggerating MattK's position.

In any event: Perhaps both sides of this debate ought to back off a bit before a mod steps in and locks this thread for being overly contentious?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I would guess that there's more "trouble" on moonlit nights because it's easier for the ne'er-do-wells to see what they're doing, or something like that.
That is what many people presume however I have seen statistics that show domestic violence (taking place most often in the home between relatives) is higher at full moon. There are physical reasons and much evidence too numerous to get into here for why we get more agitated during the full moon. This may or may not have anything to do with your debate with MattK - just something I offer as a long time observer of human behavior and those things that effect us and as a response to the previous posters question. The Moon does effect most people - some more than others - and I could offer lots of evidence of that but that's not what we are here for. This thread was to answer what is the best long throwing Cree light and it seems it has strayed a long way from that since neither the Gladius nor the Striker VG use the Cree (although I guess the Seoul P4 uses a Cree die? ). Anywhoo - if everyone can take a deep breath, close your eyes for one minute and exhale deeply I'll bet it will all seem less important and that 'full moon tension' will dissipate like dew in the morning sun. Ommmmm :D :)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
My new P4 Light puts out well over 20,000 Lux. It instantly max's out my meterman LM631. Fully adjustable brightness levels fully adjustable user modes.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150683

Mac

20,000 Lux. That is outstanding. If you can get independent verification of that, lots of people are going to want one. Is the beam adjustable so you can get some flood, if you need it?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
You started by saying "seems to me far too much cash for an emitter".
In defense of TigerhawkT3, Paul, such as it is: That was pretty-much my initial reaction. I'm just way too much the flashlight and CPF n00b to say anything so brazen :p

Later, I was glad I hadn't. I realized, on reflection, I had no idea of the logistics involved, how much work on your part it takes, what your time is worth (a lot, I would guess), etc. Besides: It is what it is (which is damn impressive, to my amateur eyes!) and you and MattK have the right to charge what the market will bear.

EngrPaul said:
If Matt had his facts not exactly straight, maybe you shouldn't call them lies. That's certainly rude.
+1

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason the moon is full is that I am aiming my Striker-VG-"HC" at it. :laughing:

Sorry if I'm responsible for all that crime. :naughty:

daveman

Enlightened
@MattK:

Just want to you know that although I won't be able to snatch one Super Striker from this particular run, I still think that you're offering a great product at a very reasonable price. I want to remind my fellow CPFers that $50 for the upgrading of an emitter in a torch is reasonable considering this is a VERY limited run (less than 20 units), and the scale of economy, in the case of a manufactured unit of 5,000, does not apply here.

@TigerHawk:
I understand your point that a flashlight is more than the sum of its lumens, and that the Super Striker's vastly superior output and throw capabilities over the Gladius do not necessarily make it a superior light to the Gladius.
BUT, considering the title and context of this thread, MattK has done no deception calling the Super Striker a better light.