Ok, so what is the best Long throw Cree light you can buy??

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
3,027
Location
Connecticut Shoreline
Ahh very cool - I guess I stand corrected...strangely I looked on his site before posting that :p

I have an inexpensive collimated Chinese Cree 3C prototype here and it's amazing what the colliator does for it. I'll try and post some pics later.
 

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
1,153
Location
Sactown
Yeah I originally signed on for Wayne's Lucidus too, but decided to put my order on hold until he starts using the 500mA Micropucks and higher than P3 bin Crees. He told me he will get there when he goes through the stock of the parts he has. Since the Lucidus uses an optic, I'd assume it has excellent throw. MattK's Striker does look extremely impressive though. Albeit being budget-minded, I just can't justify spending more than $100 for a flashlight. I've already talked with several flashlight gurus where it can be acknowledged that golden egg in the basket would be that ultimate $100 (or less) flashlight. I hope the conversation with said flashlight maker will eventually bring that concept to fruition. From what it sounds like, it probably will eventually happen. For now and back to topic, the Striker looks like a contender for sure...we just need the other flashlight gears to chime in with their entries...
 

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 15, 2003
Messages
5,018
Location
Sweden
ace0001a said:
Yeah I originally signed on for Wayne's Lucidus too, but decided to put my order on hold until he starts using the 500mA Micropucks and higher than P3 bin Crees. He told me he will get there when he goes through the stock of the parts he has. Since the Lucidus uses an optic, I'd assume it has excellent throw. MattK's Striker does look extremely impressive though. Albeit being budget-minded, I just can't justify spending more than $100 for a flashlight. I've already talked with several flashlight gurus where it can be acknowledged that golden egg in the basket would be that ultimate $100 (or less) flashlight. I hope the conversation with said flashlight maker will eventually bring that concept to fruition. From what it sounds like, it probably will eventually happen. For now and back to topic, the Striker looks like a contender for sure...we just need the other flashlight gears to chime in with their entries...

The Difference between a P3 and P4 Cree would be negligable. You would never be able to see the difference. Your talking around 10 lumens.

Mac
 

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
344
Location
S.E. Michigan
There's no question in my mind that the Striker-VG/"HC" will soon (FSVO "soon") be eclipsed by something with as much, or more, throw and for a (far?) lower price. But, as TigerhawkT3 is wont to point out: There's more to a flashlight than bright. I really do like what I've read of the Striker-VG package, over-all. Anyway, I suspect MattK's market for this product is people who want a serious CREE throw-monster and want it now!
 

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
1,153
Location
Sactown
cmacclel said:
The Difference between a P3 and P4 Cree would be negligable. You would never be able to see the difference. Your talking around 10 lumens.

Mac

Mac I realize that, but I need to have the satisfaction that I've something as optimized as possible at the time of it's availability. So if it's only 10%, I want that 10%. Coupled with 20% additional performance of the 500mA Micropuck would get me to where I'd be satisfied with it. I have two of the same flashlights modded with a P3 and the other with a P4 and I will admit the difference is only slight. But as I said, I'm just the kind of guy who needs/strives for every ounce extra that can be squeezed out of the orange so to speak. Anyway getting back to topic, I personally can't wait to see others bring forth their throw contenders...
 

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
1,153
Location
Sactown
SEMIJim said:
There's no question in my mind that the Striker-VG/"HC" will soon (FSVO "soon") be eclipsed by something with as much, or more, throw and for a (far?) lower price. But, as TigerhawkT3 is wont to point out: There's more to a flashlight than bright. I really do like what I've read of the Striker-VG package, over-all. Anyway, I suspect MattK's market for this product is people who want a serious CREE throw-monster and want it now!

I'll agree that there's more to a flashlight than throw and brightness, but I personally feel that those 2 things are 66% of what makes a good flashlight. With that being said, I am definitely for the concept of bang for the buck and I challenge the the flashlight gurus out there to come out with the golden egg of flashlights--the sub $100 light blaster. The kind of flashlight light that puts flashlights like Fenix to shame in terms of performance and build quality yet cost about the same. To me, that'll be the day...

Will that flashlight also be the ultimate thrower? I can only hope...
 

speederino

Enlightened
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
278
Location
Ohio
Ace, the Lucidus-XR2 impresses the crap out of me. It is definately more than the sum of it's parts, more than a list of parts and specs. I'm considering putting some of my other lights on BST that two days ago I wouldn't have parted with. Personally, I prefer the 400ma drive current to give me decent 2+ hour runtime on lowly alkalines. But, if/when Wayne ever gets around to using the 500ma SHO micropuck and higher bin Crees, I hope you pull the trigger. It's worth it.

Back on topic...
 

T4R06

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 12, 2006
Messages
442
Location
Rocky Hill, CT
just to clarify, correct me if am wrong.

as the subject says "Ok, so what is the best Long throw Cree light you can buy??"

is the led logic striker-VG is a cree???????

if not why this can be on this thread??? our friend here who started the thread is asking what type of light, with cree, long throw that he can buy. NOT to MODIFY!!!!

for godsake. a honest question needs a very nice answer and explanation..

thats all i can comment.

Thank you.
 

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
3,027
Location
Connecticut Shoreline
A stock Striker is a Luxeon III but the light we've been discussing is a semi-custom/mod/whatever that is available for purchase in the Dealer's Corner forum. It has a SSC P4 emitter which uses the Cree EZ1000 die - the same one used in the Cree XR-E 7090 but with a radiation pattern more similar to that of a Luxeon which makes it work with the stock collimator in the Striker VG.
 

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
344
Location
S.E. Michigan
T4R06 said:
just to clarify, correct me if am wrong.

as the subject says "Ok, so what is the best Long throw Cree light you can buy??"

is the led logic striker-VG is a cree???????
No, but the Striker-VG/"HC" is a CREE. (Well, kind of.) And that's what's being discussed as a candidate to satisfy the OP's query.

Besides: If somebody came up with a non-CREE solution that had competitive price, form-factor, operation, throw, brightness, run-time, etc., I don't see why they shouldn't bring it up as a possible alternative. That is, unless you think the OP is more interested in a particular LED than the best throw for the <fill_in_the_blank>, which seems unlikely to me.
 

daveman

Enlightened
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
911
T4R06 said:
...if not why this can be on this thread??? our friend here who started the thread is asking what type of light, with cree, long throw that he can buy. NOT to MODIFY!!!! Thank you.
The original poster did request for a Cree thrower he can purchase; MattK did offer a light that can be readily bought and used without modification after purchase. NO NEED TO MODIFY!!!!

 

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
3,027
Location
Connecticut Shoreline
Hehe so Striker VG/HC has stuck. LOL.

Paul and I spent some time discussing names and never did come up with a great solution on our own - so I just went with adding SSC P4 after the name. It looks like CPF has named it for us. :)
 

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
3,819
Location
CA, 94087
Well, this thread kept me away from CPF for about two days, but I decided that it would take more than this kind of mess to stop me from doing something I usually enjoy.

T4R06, I should have done that before I posted anything at all in this thread. Oh well.

It still bothers me that some people still refuse to acknowledge where MattK was simply incorrect about several aspects of the Gladius and how he continued to bash it and myself. It's quite evident that these people aren't going to see what they don't want to, so I'm just going to quit arguing. That's right, I give up.

Sad, sad, sad.
 
Top