OK to point a gun at me, if you have a light also

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Re: OK to point a gun at me, if you have a light a

Easy guys.... I don't want to have to close this thread... let's all just step back and let the bad air out and the good air in... mmmkay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

redcar

Enlightened

If you don't like a particular avatar - get rid of it.

Download a free copy of Mozilla Firefox. Use it to connect to CPF. Right click on offending avatar and click on "Block images from blahblah.com". No more pic. It is very easy to later go back and allow pics from a domain if you wish.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
redcar said:
If you don't like a particular avatar - get rid of it.

Download a free copy of Mozilla Firefox. Use it to connect to CPF. Right click on offending avatar and click on "Block images from blahblah.com". No more pic. It is very easy to later go back and allow pics from a domain if you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Mozilla Firefox too.
Thanks for pointing that one out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
OK, I personally think it is borderline weird / creepy to take pictures of yourself posing with props such as flashlights, guns, knives, etc. I mean, why? What are you trying to say? "Hey, this is me and I think I am really cool and tough becuase I here I am with my pistol and my tactical light." I just don't get it.

But, like it has already been said earlier, to each their own. If you want to go to all that effort because maybe it makes you feel better, well, I guess that is your call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, what's that you're posing with in your avatar then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (kiddin' 'k) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TwoGun said:
Pointing a gun at someone is not in and of itself illegal and does not equal arrest. There are ruffian biker types who point guns at each other in their public settings but since no one complains, who cares. Only if you fear for your safety does it become illegal. That being said, Mickey does have an itchy trigger finger so it may be necessary for you to call the cops. Don't let that playful happy smile fool you! He's a menace!

I understand where you're coming from though. I see that angry Mustang in Mr. Bulk's avatar and it sure looks like it's gonna run me over.

bran·dish ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brndsh)
tr.v. bran·dished, bran·dish·ing, bran·dish·es
To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
To display ostentatiously. See Synonyms at flourish.

The trick here I guess would be not to point it in a way that is menacing. Perhaps we could have a rule that the pointer should be made to wear something calming and soothing. It's gonna be tough, though. I suspect that no matter what, that gun will look menacing to some. Hmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is here unless you are a LEO. And we've been taught never to point a gun loaded or unloaded unless it is warranted in the line of duty or at the range only.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened

Flashlight,

It's illegal to point guns at people in the US 99.9% of the time. My example was an absurd one.

I just don't think the people with the avatars were intentionally trying to be offensive. I generally consider this community a very thoughtful and caring one and from that perspective maybe those with the offending avatars are just expressing the little "Dirty Harry" that may exist in many of us. Who knows?

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya -- punk?"

dirtyharry.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Geez Louise!

Getting all worked up over avatars. Get a life!

I wonder how close up I can get to the muzzle of my .45... maybe a BIG hole avatar....

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, we very regularly talk about people's avatars in the secret moderator dungeon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif we regularly ask people to revise or remove them for content and especially for size when they are great big animated gifs.

So we definitely police these things. CPF has a family friendly policy, we certainly don't want to have to have a "I'm 18" button on the front page. Just because guns exist in the real world doesn't necessarily mean you want them to be taken out around the dinner table which is kind of how we think of all of us here at CPF.

The written laws about avatar content are on the CPF rules page, there are some that are specific and some that are very vague. Thats so that we can reserve the right to police our dinner table conversation the way that we see fit. Beyond what we consider obvious offenses though we generally place the burden of dealing with it on the head of the one offended and not the one doing the offending. An avatar of a gun pointing at the camera just isn't on the list of things that we're considering inappropriate at this time. An avatar of a gun pointed at the head of a real person certainly would be subject to a nastygram from an admin. But at this point, what you might consider bad taste or offensive of pointing a gun at the camera isn't something we've chosen to moderate yet.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
I gotta wonder how long that took to make. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Photoshop

redcar

Enlightened

At what point do you take a big flashlight (Beast?) and mount a gun to it?

Mednanu

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
redcar said:At what point do you take a big flashlight (Beast?) and mount a gun to it?

[/ QUOTE ]
That just gave me a really funny visual - a Walther or a small .25 caliber pistol 'mounted' onto a monsterously huge flashlight. Gotta love those sorts of cartoonishly out of control juxtapositions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I only had a huge flashlight or floodlight, that setup would merit a photo OP for sure.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I am compelled to speak out too.

There is nothing in this world that will not be offensive to someone. Mednanu's avatar looks like a demon (although I know it's just a monster) and would offend some fundimentalists. I saw a christmas tree that might offend other close minded groups. There is one that has a kitten in a cap, that would offend PITA folks.

I could go on and on, but I wont.

In essence, (using the dinner table analogy) I would politely ignore minor offenses at the dinner table. I would not be upset if someone showed my a picture of his new gun, or of his new SUV. I would react differently if threatened with either of these is real life.

So why not politely ignore these minor faux pas? It is the season for understanding.

Daniel

danielo_d

Enlightened

My apologies for offending.
Icon_CPF.JPG

[No gun here, btw!]

Danno

RussH

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
Avatars don't kill people, people kill people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of former "mag" user do we have here?

RussH, NRA, GOA, SCV

RussH

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DaGunn said:
The fact that members may display avatars pointing a handgun at me, SUCKS!!! If you pointed a firearm at me in a public setting, you would be arrested and/or shot by the police. This is not legal in public, why is it accepted practice here?

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't noticed anything (guns pointing at me)like that myself, although I have noticed the occasional firearm in someones posts (like showing a mount or something). I would be highly offended if someone pointed a bright light in my eyes, too, but they are commonly used as avatars. Somehow I can't get too excited about it. Have you PMd the offending party and discussed it with him (or her)?

Topper

Flashaholic*
This thread makes me feel good that im too stupid to have an Avatar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive never understoof the little photos either. If you use your real one you risk it being photoshoped or critized for you looks. But that is just me. I think the gun ones are better than one flipping the bird as I have seen on other sites. A more creative idea would be to get paid to post a photo of a manufacture and generate ad revenue with it.