Ok, whats the newest Hotness RCR123's?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a while boys, moving, working etc,,,,,

I need a couple more good RCR123's to fill out my lights and spares case. I was using and loving the MP's, for most things and a BS 900mah in my HDS sometimes.

I prefer the more std "shape" of the MP's, I can't use any BS cells in my ARC LSH-P without a spacer magnet, making an ugly gap.

So whats out there in looooong running, fit any light, RCR123's that will charge in my older black BS charger? VG

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
fit, and protected .

i use the BS cell, because the ultrafire was way less capacity.
mabey the AW cell.

to "fix" the nipple issue, i just put solder on the top . . . but wait, its unsafe to do that to the cell, and then i gotta do that to ALL the cells. so i put a solder on the middle of the driver board thing, end of problem forever. but of course end of warrenty and resale without change and all that.

but i dont understand having that problem with the BS rechargable cell, cause it has a nice nipple? mabey its the "new" one. i will measure it for you.
nipple top 6.9mm in diameter
nipple height from battery shoulder ~1.3mm

not sure mabey it ISNT the protected one? its yellow with red stripe.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
fit, and protected .

i use the BS cell, because the ultrafire was way less capacity.
mabey the AW cell.

to "fix" the nipple issue, i just put solder on the top . . . but wait, its unsafe to do that to the cell, and then i gotta do that to ALL the cells. so i put a solder on the middle of the driver board thing, end of problem forever. but of course end of warrenty and resale without change and all that.

but i dont understand having that problem with the BS rechargable cell, cause it has a nice nipple? mabey its the "new" one. i will measure it for you.
nipple top 6.9mm in diameter
nipple height from battery shoulder ~1.3mm

not sure mabey it ISNT the protected one? its yellow with red stripe.

Yep. it's actually not the nipple, it the "shoulder" outer edge of the BS batt. It's too wide and squared off to fit inside the retaining ring for the ARC. VG

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is still strange, because i measure a energyser primary 123, and its the same , the measurement is not "precision" easy to do, so its just close.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is still strange, because i measure a energyser primary 123, and its the same , the measurement is not "precision" easy to do, so its just close.

Hmm. I know my original "blue BS 's didn't fit I may not have tried the yellow 900mah, I thought I did, but I have been wrong before,,,, a lot :crazy:

Ok, that aside, So what is a great new RCR123 out there? Protec/un-protec don't matter, I don't ever run a Li ion to far down. VG

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
VG, I was wandering the same. About a year ago the highest *real* capacity was 650 mAh or so. Have they improved? Anybody confirmed anything higher than that? Back then the BS was not 900 mAh. They too where measured to about 650 mAh AFAIK.

Jan

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
VG, I was wandering the same. About a year ago the highest *real* capacity was 650 mAh or so. Have they improved? Anybody confirmed anything higher than that? Back then the BS was not 900 mAh. They too where measured to about 650 mAh AFAIK.

Jan

yes i should have mentioned still overrated, just better than the UF.
isnt the AW rated at 750, which is more realistic

batterystation

Enlightened
Our yellow with red band RCR-123A is both low voltage (2.5V) protected and short circuit protected. Factory claims 900mAh, so that is what we call it but I have found repeatedly it checks in at 875mAh at .5A draw. On heavier loads, it may be a bit lower. I have only ever got 900mAh out of it at .1A draw which is unrealistic in this market. In a camera, you would probably realize the 900mAh as the load is so sporatic. I don't believe the factory considered lights when making these ratings, so I tend to think it is more of ignorance than overrating. Anyway, that is my guess. I do believe this battery to be the safest on the market. I don't think we have seen a single safety (vent, etc) issue on this product and I know people that have been using them for years. The AW is a good cell too. The MP had great (better than ours) load characteristics but did not seem to hold up as good on the long run in cycle life. Not sure why.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Kevin,

I have no way of measuring the actual mAh figure, but I have tested quite a few brands of RCR123s in lights. On my BS yellow with red band 900 mAh I got 45 min until shutdown when used in a Surefire E1L (w/ KL1 TIR not the new KX1). This was about the same figure I got from AW's blue jacket cells (750 mAh claim, also protected). If you have this light, it would be very helpfull if you could meassure the runtime with one of your cells. I only have one BS 900 mAh cell, so it's not much of a statistic foundation to say the least. TIA

Jan

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

I have no way of measuring the actual mAh figure, but I have tested quite a few brands of RCR123s in lights. On my BS yellow with red band 900 mAh I got 45 min until shutdown when used in a Surefire E1L (w/ KL1 TIR not the new KX1). This was about the same figure I got from AW's blue jacket cells (750 mAh claim, also protected). If you have this light, it would be very helpfull if you could meassure the runtime with one of your cells. I only have one BS 900 mAh cell, so it's not much of a statistic foundation to say the least. TIA

Jan

Different LED efficiencies in the KL1 may also render this a moot point..

JanCPF

Enlightened
Different LED efficiencies in the KL1 may also render this a moot point..

True, but I have never gotten anything higher than 45 min. in the same KL1 no matter which RCR123 I tried. I therefor assumed they where all 600-700'ish mAh. I may very well be wrong of course.

Hi KevinL BTW :wave:

Jan

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, we got that all straightened out.

Ok, as to original topic,, recommendations? VG