Okay Don, Nobody's Asked You This So I Will...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are truly one of the top 'Gurus' of custom made lights here on CPF. I have followed your progression since the first time we had a dialog in a thread about Tektike lights several years ago. You are truly a wizard, a true gentleman and a kayaker, sailer and scuba diver like I am.

I know you prefer lights that have a lot of flood with a decent hotspot. Okay, (and here it comes), what's your favorite light of all time that you or someone else has done? I'm talking about a light WITHOUT extreme throw, (a HID will do that), with good enough light to light your path wherever you go? A light that is NOT as bright as almost ALL new CPFer's want when they come aboard here.

I'm figuring you will "punk out" with a generality and that's okay but just as long as you don't use your engineer speak. I'm just asking, what's you're favorite light for all around use? Is it 3W, is it 5W or is it the rating of the emitter? I still think a 1W emmiter is the most practrical of all LED's!

Just asking Don and I think, (and PLEASE Bernie don't answer before Don), you'll still still 'punk out' and say "whatever you guys want"! That's okay but was wondering what is your favorite light of all time, big or tiny?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Damn! I sent an answer to this thread into the ether but I guess it was lost...

My favorite light for a path would be one with the McR-27L reflector. My favorite all around use would be one with the 20 mm reflector and a beam shaper (removable). At present and to be more specific, the one with the 27L would be a proto Ti PD 27 and the light with the 20 mm reflector would be the McLuxIII-T. For diving, I would select a 27LT (twisty 2xCR123) and for boating or paddling, the McLuxIII-T.

The 20 mm and 27L reflectors share the same parabolic formula but the 27L herds more photons into the spot and tightens and intensifies the corona; a prefered solution for path illumination, IMHO.

I believe excessive flux and lux on target is as disruptive as insufficient flux and lux on target. I want to illuminate shadows, not create more. The 27L can be used in low output for path illumination as it has good reach in low ambient levels. I have not picked the HD45 because it is more specialized and larger. It is probably more efficient on path lighting than the 27L lights and can manage the higher flux and floodier 5W LEDs (low level and high). The 20 mm light wins all around because of its smallest size and host ability of the SF beam shaper.

When I get some Ti PD's made, one of them will probably become my favorite all around light. I have a strong personal preference for Ti because it can handle abuse and neglect in an environment that covers 2/3 of the globe. If I weren't around the ocean, I would need to find other justifications in support of my preference here.

I don't think I have skirted your question here and my answer is about my favorite. My answer is subjective on many levels and not the right answer for others necessarily and obviously. :shrug:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie,
I knew you would, you damn scoundrel!

Don,
Wish I could have read your original answer before it disappeared into the nether regions and you didn't skirt my question but as objected, still spoke with mild 'tech speak'. :) I admit that I too love the 20mm reflector and it's my favorite of all the small reflectors because of it's wonderful beam.

I truly LOVE Ti but I'm not really of the Ti persuasion because it's extremely cost prohibitive especially when you lose things like I regularly do, sailing, kayaking and such. I've turtled a time or two unexpectedly with tragic results in loss of gear but of course, that's what tethers are for but I am ALWAYS losing things!

Not trying to give away your secrets, but what of the new emitters or new bins of LED's REALLY tickle your fancy? I still say for landlubbers, a good 1W emitter with it's extreme runtime and nice brightness is still the best way to go. Hence the love on these forums of Fenix brand of lights that people love so dearly. Underwater, a nicely binned 3W emitter with good focus with the 20mm or your new 27L is the way to go.

All in all, you've answered my question because the photons need to be emitted in a proper way to suit one's purpose and, (of course), a smaller light will always be with you. It's not the amount of photons produced but how the photons are emitted and the reflector is the eminent way to do it.

I think you are on the right track, (as always), to produce the best reflector for the right circumstance.