• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks....
Is the boss only programmable via Web?

Yep ... (sort of) ....

The actual BOSS programming is done via light pulses, and created with a web menu interface.

The resultant video "program" can be recorded and stored for later (offline) use, however, such as on a mobile phone.

This does necessitate preparing all of the desired programs in advance, though.

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Please continue if you think of other reasons. I'm still not sure.

Is the boss only programmable via Web?

In my opinion it's not that great, it's really just a 4 mode forward clicky ui. Yeah, bounce back is neat and the optical programming is cool but it all feels so gimmicky when all you have afterwards is 4 modes.

That being said, I like mine and I don't think I'll sell it. Just room for improvement.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then why wouldn't you sell it? What is the special appeal for a $400+ aluminum light?

It's tiny in 35 configuration, has long life in 70 configuration keeps separate programs based on battery type & seems ultra light in both configurations.

Seems pretty tough & looks really cool.

Although, there's a tiny D.C. In my pocket today. :)

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then why wouldn't you sell it? What is the special appeal for a $400+ aluminum light?

There's just something about the design, machining, finish...

It's also my brightest EDC light in the 2x18350 configuration. I may sell it if only because I believe second hand value on the black will go down, but I really like it. I also have a collectors mentality, gotta catch em all! (Caught a Sigma today;) )

archimedes

Flashaholic
Can you take a picture next to the TinyDC?

Sure ...

x0vOe6R.jpg

... not the most artistic photo, but I tried to line up the 35 and the 70 tubes, to give a comparison with the Okluma

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I feel the Boss needs defended, but one of it's great features, especially useful on the Boss 70, is voltage flexibility. The ability to run one 18650, two 18350's or even 2 CR123's is just plain cool! Also a very unique looking light, especially in the Patina finish. Nothing else like it! I have a Aluminum Tiny DC on the way, and I'm looking forward to it as well!

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I feel the Boss needs defended, but one of it's great features, especially useful on the Boss 70, is voltage flexibility. The ability to run one 18650, two 18350's or even 2 CR123's is just plain cool! Also a very unique looking light, especially in the Patina finish. Nothing else like it! I have a Aluminum Tiny DC on the way, and I'm looking forward to it as well!

This is the truth. It's the most unique and original aluminum body out there, and in my opinion, the most beautiful. All credit to all other makers, but they're really all derivatives of Mac's work. The Boss is something new.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep up the info. I am looking for reasons to get a boss (my friend is holding a black 35 for me).

Honestly the main attraction for me it the 70, the 35 limits you to just another 18350 ~1300lm triple. The 70 give you the flexibility and uniqueness of 2x18350 in a compact and good looking body

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, a TinyDC and BOSS can co-exist? :oops: I've been eyeing the black, but now maybe the patina can be a better match to the TinyDC Al? Having said that, maybe the copper or brass versions will even match better? :sssh: