• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Okluma TinyDC Aluminum - Video Overview

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. The Boss definitely feels a lot smaller in my pocket, and I really appreciate that. In the hand, only slightly, and I honestly like the grip of the Okluma more. The Boss feels kind of slippery because of the anodizing, but the knurling on the Okluma is perfect.

gunga

Flashaholic
Great feedback. I guess I'll need to try it out.

;)

I've been having fun stripping anodized lights lately. I'm sure something fun could be done to a boss, but $400+. Ouch.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. The Boss definitely feels a lot smaller in my pocket, and I really appreciate that. In the hand, only slightly, and I honestly like the grip of the Okluma more. The Boss feels kind of slippery because of the anodizing, but the knurling on the Okluma is perfect.

So overall what's the verdict, Theodore? Which one gets the vote when you are just to bring one? ;)

I've been having fun stripping anodized lights lately. I'm sure something fun could be done to a boss, but $400+. Ouch.

Interested to know how do you strip them? Any particular product like paint stripper? PLS don't do it to your Boss LOL!!

gunga

Flashaholic
I use drano. I've been using the gel lately with a toothbrush. Seems to be more controlled than liquid.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490602387.950690.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490602403.273967.jpg

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks! Note, the lights need some fine sanding and some polishing to clean them up after stripping.

With some effort you can get a high polish but I didn't want that look.

Also, you need to clean the lights off and remove from the drano soon after you get the desired look. If you leave it too long it will pit the aluminum!

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
So overall what's the verdict, Theodore? Which one gets the vote when you are just to bring one? ;)

Interested to know how do you strip them? Any particular product like paint stripper? PLS don't do it to your Boss LOL!!

Haha for now it's the BOSS 35, but that's probably because it has that "newness" factor to it. Time will tell lol

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how you guys can walk around or sit with these size lights in your pocket. I love my TinyDC and Boss 70 but I can barely stand a AAA sized light in my pocket. But... I only wear ultra tight designer jeans so that could be the issue.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how you guys can walk around or sit with these size lights in your pocket. I love my TinyDC and Boss 70 but I can barely stand a AAA sized light in my pocket. But... I only wear ultra tight designer jeans so that could be the issue.

Why are you assuming we keep it in pockets? I just hold and fidget with them, saves me money from buying spinners.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha for now it's the BOSS 35, but that's probably because it has that "newness" factor to it. Time will tell lol

Well, it's been a little more than a week now. I ended up carrying neither of them and going with my HDS Executive. Something about the HDS is just very appealing to me; I can drop it and not have to freak out over the little dents. If I did that with the BOSS or Okluma, I'm sure I'd kyms on the spot!

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im carrying my Boss 70 for the first time ever today. I'll carry my TinyDC tomorrow. I'm able to do this because I broke down and bought some pants that don't need help putting on. I've never felt so free!

20170405_112558.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Okluma is my EDC and I don't baby it, it is scratched up and I don't mind. Gonna take it to the pool later as well. The first scratch is the hardest after that it's in my pocket at all times.
I do plan on buying an HDS down the road for the UI and the bombproof make.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Okluma is my EDC and I don't baby it, it is scratched up and I don't mind. Gonna take it to the pool later as well. The first scratch is the hardest after that it's in my pocket at all times.
I do plan on buying an HDS down the road for the UI and the bombproof make.

I tend to baby my lights too much, but I think you have the right philosophy. Lights are made to be used... even custom lights, and when they acquire the inevitable carry marks then that just gives them more character.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm excited about carrying my TinyDC going forward... now that I have decent pants ;-). I'm never ever going to sell it so who cares if it has a few swirls. Plus now I'll be able to show it off to my regular lunch crew instead of just talking about it everyday until someone changes the subject.

jkid1911

Enlightened
Well done on the review and overview! Thanks for all the great comments and posts folks!