old chargers + Eneloops? revive EvRdy 2700AA?

Wurkkos

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Hi All!

I use up to 10 AA Nimh cells and 8 AAA Nimh cells on my LED red + amber bicycle winkie lights and shoulder-season 4xAA Nitehawk LED white helmet light.

I bike to work and do errands for up to 3hrs in conditions of total darkness and in temperatures as low as -40C.

I use a blend of no-name AA and AAA Nimh cells and some of the Ever-not-so-Ready 2700mah AA cells, some of which are quite dead.

I carry 2xAA + 2xAAA alkaline cells as back-up batteries in a 35mm film can on my bike. Sometimes it is too cold to risk changing them outside, so I want reliability!

I am an artist with limited means, so the chargers that I have are a circa 1999 Rayovac PS3, an 8 cell capacity AA, AAA, C, D, Nimh/Alkaline/Ni-cad charger, and circa 2005 slide-open clam-shell design Ever-Reacy CHDC-CA 4AA/AAA nimh charger---which I use for travel internationally as it is 100-240V capable.

Both have green LED charging lights that go out when the charge is completed.

Charge times for Eneloop AA's are about 10 hours on the Ever-ready clam-shell charger, and 14 hours on the PS3.

My question is this: which charger is best to use with the Eneloops, and will either of them hurt the long-term use of the Eneloops?

As well, is it worth it to get one of the lower-end Maha chargers? Would the MAHA chargers bring back to life the not-so-Ever-Ready AA'S?

I am just barely capable of using a cheap multi-meter to check whether the NIMH cells are in the 'green zone' before use! So no chargers which require a slide-rule to use!

As an artist this would have to come out of the granola budget!

On the other hand, it gets dark here for 19 hours every night in December, so lights are critical, as are batteries!

enlightenment!

Bike lights: 1980's Vistalite 5 LED amber front, Cat-Eye TL-LD100 red rear winkie, Planet Bike Superflash red rear winkie, Mec.ca no-name 2xAAA red rear bike bag winkies, NiteHawk LED 4xAA helmet light,(fall/spring), Moon Unit Systems 12V ni-cad (8xC) 12W+22W MR-11 helmet light (winter).

EDC: ARC AAA light with glow tab and badge clip from CPF buy/sell!

Pack: Petzl Tactikka with flip-down red night-vision lense (EDC for snowshoeing), Mini-Mag 2AA with Terralux TLE-5, MEC.Ca Turtle Lithium coin-cell light in survival kit.

Bedside light/Canoe headlight:
UK 4xAA

Retired: Mini-Mag 2xAAA, Solitaire, pending cheaper drop-in LED upgrades! Princeton Tec Xenon strobelights (poor performance below 0C)

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both of those chargers and the PS4, I personally wouldn't use any of them as non turned out to be very good chargers at all. I'm willing to bet if you get a decent charger it will revive some of your old batteries. I have some 1600mAh from 2001 that I had tossed in a drawer for a couple years when I gave up on re-chargeable. I pulled those out earlier this year after buying a decent charger and they are running a baby monitor for three weeks at a time now compared to alkaline that was only running it two weeks.

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Eugene/All:

Thanks!

So, if it is worth buying a better NIMH charger, what is the best simple one for the lowest price? Compact and 110-240V would be good...

Bear in mind I don't want to use a slide-rule to figure out how to use it!

enlightenment!

TPA

Newly Enlightened
The Maha 204W's been a very popular charger over the years. At $28, it's hard to beat. Charges 4 batteries, and has a reconditioning cycle, but only 2 "channels", so batteries must be recharged in pairs, which is less than optimum. This is probably going to be your best bet. 120v/240v, small, and about as cheap as you're going to find a good charger w/reconditioning cycle.

Thomas Distributing (http://www.thomasdistributing.com) has them for $28 currently, and throws in a travel bag & a few battery holders as well.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with the MAHAC401FS. Nothing but a fast slow switch and came with the 120 plug and an automotive adapter. I use the slow setting and charge overnight normally but have the fast setting for if I would ever be out someplace and discharge all my batteries I could still charge quickly if I wanted to.
I paid $25 for the PS4 so $40 for the MAHA isn't that bad considering it actually fully charges the batteries.

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All!

The Canadian Dollar has achieved parity with the US dollar, so this is a good time to be doing mail-order from the US. Still, I will see if I can find a Canadian dealer for a MAHA charger.

enlightenment!

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for your help. The thread 'Reccommend an NIMH charger' was particularly useful.

I ended up ordering a pair of the Maha PowerEX C204F, 4x2700 PowerEx AA, 110V + car adapters, 1 BH-4 battery case from www.paulsfinest.com which was the cheapest and fastest way to get the Maha C204 up here to Canada's North West. Canadian postage and skipping the border GST collection fee ($5) also made a difference versus very good offers from US sources.

I got 2 as my cameraman also wanted one. We need the 12Volt adapters as we often have to work from all-terrain vehicles or even aircraft on shoots!

Thanks again for your help!
enlightenment!

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get a 401 instead of a 204 as the 204 is only a two channel charger where the 401 is a 4 channel.