Old stuff that works makes me happy - how about you?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
By golly you are right.. obviously too tiny a wheel and frame in photo to be Colt.. Not too mention barrel bore and vents.. dang!

I plead old fart blindness and a 2x4" phone screen.. plus, think i read at one time he did own a Colt Python

Well at least i got the tennis shoes correct :shrug:

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
No picture, but our Frigidaire Gallery front load washer, purchased new in April 2004 was just retired. 16 years is no slouch.

Double edge razor sharpener.

b4fICUyl.jpg

My Gios Compact Pro steel framed bike. Got it new, shipped out to Japan back in the 1990s. Still riding her.

hjK0hCk.jpg

Made in New York Camillus 72 Carpenter's Whittler from the early 1990s. One of my EDCs.

glfS8Jql.jpg

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
My old 1993 Silsonic Vacuum Tube Amplifier. It was owned by a heavy smoker and was covered in cigarette tar, and didn't work. The poor thing was headed to landfill. The owner and my path's crossed and I was offered the amplifier. I have always had an interest in old HiFi gear, so this piqued my interest. After de tarring the amp, a major task, I set about getting it working. A new tube squad ( 4 x EL34 JJ/Tesla's, 2 x 12AU7 and 1 x 12AX7 of the same parentage ) and an output recap with Nichicon caps. There's something about rescuing old gear and returning it to service. To this day it works beautifully although its a bit time consuming to do a bias adjustment when required ( not too often thank goodness ). These days my main amp is a Line Magnetic push/pull KT88 powered one, but the old Silsonic gets a regular run, and certainly ISNT headed to landfill. The Silsonic is on second from top shelf, and the Line Magnetic on the top. At 35WRMS, the Silsonic is certainly no V8 of the vacuum tube amplifier world, but when paired with the 100lt transmission line cabinets/3 way speakers @ 96db/spl in the pic, it gives a pretty good account of itself. It can be used as an integrated amp or a straight power amp, a bit unusual for its vintage. They were either one or the other, as a rule ( integrated meaning using its volume control and built in DAC, power meaning it was a straight amp controlled by a preamp/DAC generally ).
PmZKFWA.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
My old 1993 Silsonic Vacuum Tube Amplifier. It was owned by a heavy smoker and was covered in cigarette tar, and didn't work. The poor thing was headed to landfill. The owner and my path's crossed and I was offered the amplifier. I have always had an interest in old HiFi gear, so this piqued my interest. After de tarring the amp, a major task, I set about getting it working. A new tube squad ( 4 x EL34 JJ/Tesla's, 2 x 12AU7 and 1 x 12AX7 of the same parentage ) and an output recap with Nichicon caps. There's something about rescuing old gear and returning it to service. To this day it works beautifully although its a bit time consuming to do a bias adjustment when required ( not too often thank goodness ). These days my main amp is a Line Magnetic push/pull KT88 powered one, but the old Silsonic gets a regular run, and certainly ISNT headed to landfill. The Silsonic is on second from top shelf, and the Line Magnetic on the top. At 35WRMS, the Silsonic is certainly no V8 of the vacuum tube amplifier world, but when paired with the 100lt transmission line cabinets/3 way speakers @ 96db/spl in the pic, it gives a pretty good account of itself. It can be used as an integrated amp or a straight power amp, a bit unusual for its vintage. They were either one or the other, as a rule ( integrated meaning using its volume control and built in DAC, power meaning it was a straight amp controlled by a preamp/DAC generally ).
PmZKFWA.jpg
as much as much i hate old stuff i love your stereo id love to hear it. i love tubes ive been trying to find any kind of tube radio or stereo

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly a quality item but I bought this switchblade in Tijuana about 1980 and it still gets regular use opening letters and Xmas presents.

ru8f2Yx.jpg

harro

Enlightened
as much as much i hate old stuff i love your stereo id love to hear it. i love tubes ive been trying to find any kind of tube radio or stereo

There's something about sound made with voltage in a vacuum in a glass envelope vs amperage in melted and reshaped sand. Class A ( or AB1 in the case of a push pull amp ) all the way. Doesn't matter if its an old Crossley Fiver ( five tube am radio ) or the latest tube hifi amps.
Another couple of pics of the old Silsonic. First one its being biased ( great care here, tubes run at around 400 - 500VDC on the plates )
EOvpvlc.jpg

This one its running as a power amp, with direct input on the front
7s81byw.jpg

MY Line Magnetic amp, not old but just a fun pic
XOJseeg.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
There's something about sound made with voltage in a vacuum in a glass envelope vs amperage in melted and reshaped sand. Class A ( or AB1 in the case of a push pull amp ) all the way. Doesn't matter if its an old Crossley Fiver ( five tube am radio ) or the latest tube hifi amps.
Another couple of pics of the old Silsonic. First one its being biased ( great care here, tubes run at around 400 - 500VDC on the plates )
EOvpvlc.jpg

This one its running as a power amp, with direct input on the front
7s81byw.jpg

MY Line Magnetic amp, not old but just a fun pic
XOJseeg.jpg
thats so sweet i just signed up for amazons music service it has lots of selection but the audio quailty isnt great. i only signed up to get a echo dot for 1 buck. i miss the days thrift stores had lost of classic stereo gear

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love me some tubes, and I love 'em in all kinds of audio, but especially in a guitar amp. Happy to show you my Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Blue Angel. Crank this puppy and that smooth, sweet tube distortion is sweet music to the ears. Love those old tube amps, by the way. Give me a good belt drive turntable with a quality phono cartridge, tube electronics and whatever quality speaker you love and it's nirvana.

Love the stuff I'm seeing in this thread. Please keep it coming!

harro

Enlightened
Even listening to SD streaming through tubes raggie, can take that ' digital ' edge off the music. Some say a CD player and a tube amplifier are an ideal match. You get to listen to your fav music in highest definition, through the warmth of a tube amp.

:twothumbs

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Even listening to SD streaming through tubes raggie, can take that ' digital ' edge off the music. Some say a CD player and a tube amplifier are an ideal match. You get to listen to your fav music in highest definition, through the warmth of a tube amp.

:twothumbs
some day ill get a nice system with tubes now i have some self amped speakers that was rated very good. but they have to much bass no high end .so they stink for rock. vintage audio is my dream system

harro

Enlightened
some day ill get a nice system with tubes now i have some self amped speakers that was rated very good. but they have to much bass no high end .so they stink for rock. vintage audio is my dream system

Good on you raggie, it will happen. There is some really NICE stuff out there. I guess the trick is trying to be in the right place at the right time to find it. Everyone seems to go GAGA over those ' all in one package's ' from large department stores these days. Throw away stuff.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ run4jc...….Whoooa, Mesa, good stuff!! A quad of EL34's, parallel push pull for about 70 odd watts, at a guess??

Just a tad different - love the guess, though! Right on the EL84s, but....with a twist. Easier to quote Mesa - "Progressive Linkage power section allows switching between OR combine 2x6V6 AND 4 EL84 for 15, 33 or 38 watts of Pure Class A Power / 5x12AX7, 1x5AR4". I typically run the 2 6V6s with my Les Paul Studio... then run them both with my Deluxe American Strat. It's fun to play with the sound. When they are linked the documentation claims that the two types of tubes compliment each other when being pushed hard - I just know it sounds good! I don't have any place to play where I can push too hard, hence the warmer sound of the EL84s with my Les Paul gets the nod most of the time.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Just a tad different - love the guess, though! Right on the EL84s, but....with a twist. Easier to quote Mesa - "Progressive Linkage power section allows switching between OR combine 2x6V6 AND 4 EL84 for 15, 33 or 38 watts of Pure Class A Power / 5x12AX7, 1x5AR4". I typically run the 2 6V6s with my Les Paul Studio... then run them both with my Deluxe American Strat. It's fun to play with the sound. When they are linked the documentation claims that the two types of tubes compliment each other when being pushed hard - I just know it sounds good! I don't have any place to play where I can push too hard, hence the warmer sound of the EL84s with my Les Paul gets the nod most of the time.
post pics please!