Olight 3600 mAH the new flagship in 18650's?

markr6

Flashaholic
I think you are making a few assumption about discharge rates. You need to understand there is a difference between a peak and a continuous discharge rate.

But also reflect that for high output flashlight use, you also want something with the most stable voltage you can get. Most torches do not exceed the discharge rates of many batteries, but performance can be hugely different.

For example, take a look at these discharge curves. If you've not used these graphs before, you essentially want the line to stay as high as possible for as long as possible. The higher the line, the less voltage sag and the better and more consistent output you'll get from High and Turbo modes on your flashlight.

The total length of the line only really matters for moonlight and low modes. Not too mention once the voltage drops below a certain point it's all pretty redundant as the LED's require a minimal vf to operate at all.

I take the lower capacity cell every time out of these two.

Great post and "summary" of how to read these. Good choice on comparing the two cells also. I think most people would recharge the battery well before ~3.25v anyway, so there is hardly an advantage on the 3600mah cell.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I agree. I usually recharge at 3.5 - 3.7 volts. It only gets lower if I screw up.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
somebody please correct me if I am wrong here but arent the two cells compared in the above graph different chemistries?

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
recDNA, I don't know, but they use GA, check this photo (source: light-wolff)

olight186503600mahorb0zsqx.jpg

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting picture. all I can tell is that the center cell is an 18650 with red wrapping and the new anode only PC. Olight rates the cell at 4amps max. This cell is starting to smell like fish. The GA is a 10amp cell. Nominal capacity for the Olight 3600mah cell is just 3450mah. Something is amiss with this cell. Whew! I almost bought a pair of these things! Glad I stuck with the GA.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure a search would produce somebody claiming to make a protected version of GA but does any reliable dealer actually do it? Not many I trust. Anybody know what battery is in the new AW 18650 "IMR"?

I found one called EVVA at mtn electronics. I never heard of them before. Illumn has keepower version. I've heard of them but I'm not sure I trust keepower either. Orbtronic shows a protected version in a google search search but an unprotected one shows up at the link. Not sure what's up with that.

Many reliable protected cells using the NCR18650GA are available including Fenix, Eagletac, Orbtronic, KeepPower, and EVVA. Anything sold by MTN Electronics can be trusted. They are stand up guys and only sell stuff they know is good quality. KeepPower has been around a while and are good batteries too from what I have heard(its pretty hard to screw up a re-wrap as long as you use a good PTC. Most protected cells carry a 12 month warranty as well.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
somebody please correct me if I am wrong here but arent the two cells compared in the above graph different chemistries?

Yes, although both are Li-ion with a rested voltage of 4.2v and nominal of 3.7v

The 3600 is I suspect a regular ICR, while the Samsung 30Q is a hybrid IMR, often called INR. The 30Q is a safer chemistry and doesn't suffer the thermal runaway that ICR's can. Although it is still potentially volatile due to the power it contains and the high amp draw it can achieve, so you need the same respect and care for it. But there is no real need for a protection circuit, and indeed they don't have one.

But they do generally perform a lot better than most other batteries, especially on high output lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like the sounds of the new Olight protection circuit. Without the need of the side strip running to both ends probability of nic in wrapper leading to short circuit should be lower.

I have searched for a review but no luck. Has anybody purchased these new Olights? Where could I buy a pair and be sure they are genuine?

Thanks!