Olight i3S (XP-G2, 1xAAA) 2013/2014 review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

torchflux

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the new version last Christmas as a gift for a non-flashaholic. They attached it to their keychain for everyday use.

The head came off somehow/at some time and wasn't immediately noticed. I sent everything remaining back to Olight at their invitation after contacting them first; haven't heard back from them though for a few weeks.

so the retailer (EdisonBright) provided a brand new replacement i3S. The gift recipient is pleased (again).

Getting back to what I'd asked in ^that preceding post :

Anyone please have suggestions of manufacturers who specialize in small split rings/attachment rings for AA/AAA/CR123 size class, keychain EDC lights ?

I'm starting to think that fishing tackle/connectors might be a good place to start looking. It seems that what many of these (factory) keychain attachments and rings lack, is an ability to swivel freely.

Non-swiveling rings-attachment points just seem to create eventual failure or excessive bending of these small metal pieces, when a light is attached to a keychain and variously twisted about inside a pocket.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, glad that it looks pretty good as ive one for 6 months now and didnt really know what I was buying at the time with a lack of reviews. I have lost it over xmas though and I am not sure what to do. The olights seem expensive, I can get the thrunite ti3 for half the price and it looks so similar. Is there really anything to choose between them?

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Anyone please have suggestions of manufacturers who specialize in small split rings/attachment rings for AA/AAA/CR123 size class, keychain EDC lights ?

I'm starting to think that fishing tackle/connectors might be a good place to start looking. It seems that what many of these (factory) keychain attachments and rings lack, is an ability to swivel freely.

Non-swiveling rings-attachment points just seem to create eventual failure....

I tried to buy split rings at the tackle shop, but found that the sizes they had in stock weren't right... Ring diameter was too small and wire gauge was too thick. YMMV though, so it's worth a look.

Check out Lighthound for split rings in a variety of sizes.

On the other hand, your local tackle shop should have swivels that will work well for allowing your light to rotate freely when attached to your key ring. Just keep in mind that the swivel will add some length.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
I tried to buy split rings at the tackle shop, but found that the sizes they had in stock weren't right... Ring diameter was too small and wire gauge was too thick. YMMV though, so it's worth a look.

Check out Lighthound for split rings in a variety of sizes.

On the other hand, your local tackle shop should have swivels that will work well for allowing your light to rotate freely when attached to your key ring. Just keep in mind that the swivel will add some length.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Hmmm, a tackle shop... I need to try that. That is my single biggest complaint with these lights, the attachment hole on the light is too small. And, the rings they come with are flimsy.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
Performance iseems similar - I have reviewed that model as well.

Yeah, there isn't much difference between the two. I like the Thrunite because of the price, but I give the Olight as gifts because of the "stylish colors", and the fact that it activates at medium. For people who are non-flashlight people, it's just easier to start at medium. Btw, the Thrunite is not half the price. Most places the Olight is only $5 more, and comes in an arguably nicer case.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I think ill go thrunite. For me here in the uk it is much cheaper .

Berkshirehunter

Newly Enlightened
Great review. My favorite aspects of the I3S are it's value, size, and pocket clip. Really hope they upgrade it again soon -Fenix is offering stiffer competition with the new E05 though it lacks a clip.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
There is a small triangular clip that holds the keychain ring to the light. Personally, I consider this a step backwards from the split-ring provided previously (i.e., these small triangular clips can typically deform and bend more easily). However, these kinds of connecting clips are becoming more common in this class. :shrug:
I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for a great review and heads up about the small triangular clip. I replaced the one on my Olight i3s with a #7 split ring. I too felt the small triangular clip was suspect and did not want to risk losing my flashlight when it failed.
olight%20i3s%20split%20ring.jpg

d1337

Enlightened
Great review! I wanted to say I really like the current clip style. I keep the flashlight on my keychain and the reversible clip allows me to clip the light to the brim of my hat. This is huge for me because I often find myself having to work on things in the dark, and having a hands free lighting option, without having to carry a headlamp with me everywhere is huge.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I wish they would update these lights.

fedcas

Newly Enlightened
I've checked the "tailcap" current more than once with a fully charged eneloop and here's what i get:

H - 2 A
M - 169 mA
L - 6,5 mA

how is that possible?

I have also measured two Thrunite TI3 and one TI3 titanium XP-L and the three of them all sit between 1,42 A and 1,50 A. I haven't measured the led riving current, but the luminous output is noticeably higher and both the TI3 and the i3s use an XP-G2... so how is it possible that the i3s runs at 1,8 - 2 A? can someone else check the tailcap current of their i3s? (it can be a bit trick to touch the negative pad on the pcb if your multimeter has thick leads)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
H - 2 A
how is that possible?
Personally, I gave up on doing high drain current draws with any of the <$50 DMMs I've gone through. None have proven reliable (although that could have more to do with the leads). :shrug:

Maybe someone with a Fluke (or similar) could help.

cancow

Newly Enlightened
I just got a blue i3s. What a let down... If I got one as a gift I would assumed it came from the dollar store. WAY too thin metal.

Michael329

Newly Enlightened
Cool review! I have an i3S-CU EOS(I3S-CU) Brass, it is bright, simple and awesome, i carry it every day !